C4 Forums | Control4

MyQ needs to die

Chamberlain has basically said they want no integration that doesn't give them recurring revenue, shutting down any attempt to get an official driver.

Between that and MyQ drivers now discontinued, the only feasible integration (which was always preferred I suppose) is to connect to a myq official opener by soldering, or if it's compatible the engadget pre-made option (some wall-mount units are NOT compatible however - which happen to be the most popular option around here....)

Go complain to chamberlain/liftmaster and choose alternate options (Genie, or other more basic doors)

👿

3 minutes ago, alanchow said:

I've honestly just used a Control4 Z2IO with the garage door motor i already have.  Most garage door openers already have inputs which you can wire into so its easy.

May be true over there - problem is chamberlain/liftmaster has a near monopoly out here and is what you see ALL the time - and you CANNOT just wire to the motor with a relay with those.

Genie has the Aladdin unit, which has a driver by C4 and is a great alternative - but again, no direct relay control is available, so you're back stuck wiring to a button.

Oh it works, really is the only good way of doing it - but these guys should just get a kick in the rear end.

1 hour ago, Amr said:

Check this $19.99 one DIGOO DG-CK400 Garage Door Motor WiFi Smart Controller Sensor APP Remote Control, Timing Switch, Work With Tuya, Amazon Alexa, Google Home on banggood.com https://banggood.app.link/vIP8DAaRR6

Flashable with Tasmota and works with David Berto driver!

Same issue - won't work with liftmaster/chamberlain. You wouldn't even NEED this if the motors just had standard contacts - as you'd do all this in C4 to begin with, and I doubt they'll 'just' loose market share (here). They as mentioned are pretty much the solo option here available from the main DIY companies, and are the main of not only brand carried by pro garage door installers, and thus is what is installed pretty much by default in all new built homes.

12 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

May be true over there - problem is chamberlain/liftmaster has a near monopoly out here and is what you see ALL the time - and you CANNOT just wire to the motor with a relay with those.

Genie has the Aladdin unit, which has a driver by C4 and is a great alternative - but again, no direct relay control is available, so you're back stuck wiring to a button.

Oh it works, really is the only good way of doing it - but these guys should just get a kick in the rear end.

Same issue - won't work with liftmaster/chamberlain. You wouldn't even NEED this if the motors just had standard contacts - as you'd do all this in C4 to begin with, and I doubt they'll 'just' loose market share (here). They as mentioned are pretty much the solo option here available from the main DIY companies, and are the main of not only brand carried by pro garage door installers, and thus is what is installed pretty much by default in all new built homes.

That bad? I didn’t even realize this, you guys created a monster, you kill it!

24 minutes ago, alanchow said:

I've honestly just used a Control4 Z2IO with the garage door motor i already have.  Most garage door openers already have inputs which you can wire into so its easy.

This is what I did with my Garage door, actually used older Wireless CardAccess Relay and working ever since!

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Chamberlain has basically said they want no integration that doesn't give them recurring revenue, shutting down any attempt to get an official driver.

Between that and MyQ drivers now discontinued, the only feasible integration (which was always preferred I suppose) is to connect to a myq official opener by soldering, or if it's compatible the engadget pre-made option (some wall-mount units are NOT compatible however - which happen to be the most popular option around here....)

Go complain to chamberlain/liftmaster and choose alternate options (Genie, or other more basic doors)

👿

Thanks for the info. 

it’s shocking how all these companies can’t just make money off a product anymore. They have to get a share of anything they can. I couldn’t believe a few months ago when I heard that a media company can’t just make an app for Roku. Roku has to get a cut. That’s why there is no HBO Max on there (put aside that HBO are charging some people for content twice). 

You can make a case apple started all this with the App Store. 

I get that there is a cost of keeping up with API’s and the software backend but that should be included in the cost of the product. 

2 hours ago, therockhr said:

it’s shocking how all these companies can’t just make money off a product anymore. They have to get a share of anything they can. I couldn’t believe a few months ago when I heard that a media company can’t just make an app for Roku. Roku has to get a cut.

To be fair, Roku sell so low in price there's no money made on the hardware - which is a type of business I don't LIKE, but they're free to go down that road for something like this.

But for Garage doors?

I wrote my own MyQ driver. The API was easy to reverse engineer, and I've only had to fix it once when they made a change. But I did this as a stop gap measure until an official driver was released. I'm annoyed to hear that won't be happening. I also didn't know that you couldn't just hook up a relay to one of these garage door openers. That was my plan B! 😞 

We pay for all kinds of stuff as it is, whats one more thing. Honestly the garage door is one of the best integrations, I still use the MyQ driver with the IFFT driver to open the door as I approach the house, has worked like a champ.  I'm sure its gonna break soon. 

Lots of others are jumping on board with LiftMaster to get integrated but not C4... I'll gladly pay to keep MyQ integrated and working on  a geo fence. 

At my old house I had just wired the motors directly to a relay. At the new place I ran wires to do the same thing. Well - they put these motors in and I found out later that they’re not compatible. Ticks me off!

I’ve been living with just using the MyQ app and getting an alert when the garage is left open, and having a few automatic schedules for common times (after the kids leave for school, for example) but it leave a lot to be desired when compared to my old setup. I’ll buy the Garadget piece or solder to an opener - just stupid that we have to do that. I’ll be damned if I pay them a penny for this functionality. 

I have a MyQ hub and somewhat older openers that also have a simple pushbutton.  I am assuming that I can just wire these buttons to a relay, can't I?  Are you folks saying that the new openers don't even have this capability?

We should have an award for the Dumbest Smart Tech Company or Device and the first winner can be Chamberlain.  Any other contestants?

29 minutes ago, zaphod said:

I have a MyQ hub and somewhat older openers that also have a simple pushbutton.  I am assuming that I can just wire these buttons to a relay, can't I?  Are you folks saying that the new openers don't even have this capability?

We should have an award for the Dumbest Smart Tech Company or Device and the first winner can be Chamberlain.  Any other contestants?

Is there any rule or mandate to use Chamberlain? Do you Have alternative?

No but I have two garage door openers and they happen to be Chamberlain.  So if I want to go in another direction then I am having to spend >C$500 for hardware, plus installation, and find other openers with the ability to be automated.  Looking at HomeDepot.ca about 75% of the openers that they sell are made be Chamberlain so there may not be many options.

The other openers available are Atoms by Skylink.  Is anyone aware of the integration for Atoms into C4?

Mentioned this in another thread about Wink...

They create this money hole as a sales tools, giving away the cloud with purchase, then realize that they have a recurring cost for years and no offsetting income. It's a bad model, but one many have taken to get unit sales.

(Roku, also collects monthly subscription fees through their Roku account option, rather than you paying Netflix, you're paying Roku who pays Netflix for you. This is the center of that squabble, negotiating how much Roku's skimming when paying those services. By withholding the service from Roku for a period, the services force you to sign up with them directly, thus collecting 100%)

If the liftmaster button can be placed by the rack you can simply hook it directly into your EA3 or EA5 directly... We hardwire a CAT5 to the top of each motor and to the side of each garage door.  This allows us to not have to buy/use Z2IO units and direct hardwire everything... That's easier said than done I know but that is a cost savings option.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.