C4 Forums | Control4

Nvidia Shield issue

I am waiting for my IRUSB to be able to control my new Nvidia Stealth. But I have hit a wall on connecting it to my TV via my Denon X220W receiver. After some extensive troubleshooting, I have come to the conclusion that the HDMI from the receiver to the TV is the culprit, even though it is successfully passing a 4K 30Hz HDR signal from my Roku... 

Basically,  the unit boots and I see the Nvidia logo on the screen for a few seconds but then a black screen and no signal error message when it moves to a higher resolution and normally shows the Android logo. Immensely frustrating...

The cable is an expensive Audioquest Forest run in the wall about 4 years ago. Basically, quasi impossible to swap. For some stupid reasons, a conduit was not installed... Luckily enough, I had requested a couple of CAT6 cables going from the receiver area to the TV. My questions... and all help would be great!

- any suggestions on the Stealth unit to address the issue? It seems to be the result of the unit defaulting to a resolution higher than what the cable can support. I have tried to force a lower res on the unit (connected to another TV or via another cable) but it does not seem to "Save". 

- can I "boost" my HDMI signal? I don't remember the exact length of the cable but I suspect it is around 25ft or more. I can't find my invoice not the box and I don't think it says on the cable. If so, what would be a good and cost effective solution?

- as last resort, could I use one of my CAT6 cables? And if so, what is your recommendation to enable, minimizing cost and maximizing quality and flexibility.

Thanks a lot in advance once again for your precious help. I have to admit it has been very frustrating...

Note: I am adding the Stealth to my ATV and Roku as I need to run a VPN to access some foreign programs. Unfortunately not a (at least performing) option on the other boxes...

Highly likely that your receiver only supports 4K30 and not 4K60.  So you have a decision to make.  Connect the shield up to the TV directly and use an audio return cable (but surround sound would be limited) or upgrade receiver.

Hey Alan, thanks for taking the time to reply. I reached out to Audioquest and here is their response

All our HDMI cables are capable of carrying signals up to 18 Gbps as per HDMI 2.0 specs.That includes UHD/4K – 30 Hz – HDR (with Chroma set to standard 4:2:0).

With passive HDMI cables these values can be stretched a bit, with active cables (10 meter / 30 ft and up)these values are pretty strickt. Which AQ HDMI cable and which length do you use?

The usual suspect for ‘bandwidth overload’ is the Chroma setting. Please check if the Nvidia unit is set to 4:2:0.

Also, is HDMI pass-through enabled in your AV receiver?

It seems that if I could reduce the resolution of my Shield to 4K 30Hz HDR 4:2:0, I should be ok. I think this is what I have my Roku at. But I can't manage to change the resolution (always default to autodetect and can't start in safe mode - A-B pressing on USB keyboard not working...). Coincidentally, I have just received my IRUSB and ready to go on Control4! 

Thanks again for any suggestion you may have. And running a cable directly between TV and Stealth is really not a practical option based on physical configuration...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.