C4 Forums | Control4

Setting up XBOX to Control4 System

31 minutes ago, wnpublic said:

It's not as if what is needed for integration isn't available.  Other platforms have fully integrated it.

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/xbox/

It's not an official API AFAIK - and as C4 isn't an 'opensource' project, it would be against policies now well maintained that unless there is an API available, C4 will not write a driver against it.

Let me make clear that I'm not AGAINST having an IP driver, why would I be? But if it's not against an API that is fully developed, and reliable, I wouldn't want to use it as a dealer.

Would you pay me to fix it if it stops working out of the blue because of API changes? Would C4 or an external developer? That one's a problem at the best of times, let alone against anything that isn't officially supported on both sides.

This is at the very core of the problem of comparing an opensource/DIY/unsupported setup vs something like Control4, or whatever your flavour of a 'pro' install is.

You simply CANNOT say 'this one guy did something in a setup somewhere/wrote this thing for RaspberryPi' and say, well that means company xyz should be able to do it.

It's not a matter of what is POSSIBLE, it's a matter of what is FEASIBLE - and possible to support. Heck anything is possible, anything made can be unmade and recreated, especially in the world of software, but the question, in the end, is if it's worth it.

Doesn't matter if it's XBox/PlayStation, AppleTV, Siri integration - or anything else.

This is indeed WHY IR is still a common options (and as someone who's owned a PlayStation for as long as the brand has existed my biggest pet-peeve with PS3/4 and now 5 for all I know) and widely used.

I'm happy to use IP control, as long as I don't have to 'fix' non-working items every few months. You don't want to pay me to do it (rightly so), and I don't want to pay to have to do it.

Understand that I LOVE tinkering with my own system, and for those on here, leaping into the fringes (and beyond) is a hobby if not a passion, and it should be - but that doesn't mean we should expect Control4 to do the same. They put a LOT of effort into riding the wave whenever possible (and have been burned doing so), but that doesn't mean they'll surf the tsunami, or go out in a hurricane...

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

It's not an official API AFAIK - and as C4 isn't an 'opensource' project, it would be against policies now well maintained that unless there is an API available, C4 will not write a driver against it.

Let me make clear that I'm not AGAINST having an IP driver, why would I be? But if it's not against an API that is fully developed, and reliable, I wouldn't want to use it as a dealer.

Would you pay me to fix it if it stops working out of the blue because of API changes? Would C4 or an external developer? That one's a problem at the best of times, let alone against anything that isn't officially supported on both sides.

This is at the very core of the problem of comparing an opensource/DIY/unsupported setup vs something like Control4, or whatever your flavour of a 'pro' install is.

You simply CANNOT say 'this one guy did something in a setup somewhere/wrote this thing for RaspberryPi' and say, well that means company xyz should be able to do it.

It's not a matter of what is POSSIBLE, it's a matter of what is FEASIBLE - and possible to support. Heck anything is possible, anything made can be unmade and recreated, especially in the world of software, but the question, in the end, is if it's worth it.

Doesn't matter if it's XBox/PlayStation, AppleTV, Siri integration - or anything else.

This is indeed WHY IR is still a common options (and as someone who's owned a PlayStation for as long as the brand has existed my biggest pet-peeve with PS3/4 and now 5 for all I know) and widely used.

I'm happy to use IP control, as long as I don't have to 'fix' non-working items every few months. You don't want to pay me to do it (rightly so), and I don't want to pay to have to do it.

Understand that I LOVE tinkering with my own system, and for those on here, leaping into the fringes (and beyond) is a hobby if not a passion, and it should be - but that doesn't mean we should expect Control4 to do the same. They put a LOT of effort into riding the wave whenever possible (and have been burned doing so), but that doesn't mean they'll surf the tsunami, or go out in a hurricane...

I'm not sure why you're so huffy, i wasn't addressing an attack at you or anyone else.  I'm providing information that an integration is possible, and indeed, far more performant than "on/off". 

The "official" nature of the API doesn't create as great a contrast between C4 and other solutions as you suggest - as anyone who has bought multiple versions of a third party myQ driver from different C4 dealor/vendors can attest.....

18 minutes ago, wnpublic said:

I'm not sure why you're so huffy, i wasn't addressing an attack at you or anyone else.  I'm providing information that an integration is possible, and indeed, far more performant than "on/off". 

The "official" nature of the API doesn't create as great a contrast between C4 and other solutions as you suggest - as anyone who has bought multiple versions of a third party myQ driver from different C4 dealor/vendors can attest.....

Huffy? I'm just making a point. And MyQ is a perfect example of why Control4 isn't willing to use anything but an official API (closed with consent or open). So is Sonos, so is AppleTV.

Past issues don't invalidate the point - they just prove it.

On 11/10/2020 at 7:02 PM, therockhr said:

Since one of the head guys is a former employee of Microsoft that worked in the Media Center division it would make sense for him to reach out I would think  

Was.

https://avnation.tv/2020/11/12/charlie-kindel-exits-snapav-amid-executive-shuffle-new-product-investment/

Sorry to see Charlie go.

RyanE

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.