C4 Forums | Control4

Samsung Frame TV 2019 model

jfh

Anyone have any C4 experience with the 2019 models of Samsung Frame TV?  Are the problems with Art mode that existed in previous model drivers solved?

Is the Samsung - Art Mode driver required along with the TV driver?

I have one, no issues with hardwired IP control. Couldn't get the art mode universal driver to work but don't really care. There is a properties tab that tells the tv to turn off or go to art mode at power off. And I have changed that drop-down programmatically based on scheduler because at another company sold one for a bedroom which was a mistake

Without some programing to make it turn off instead of going into art mode when it is turned off at night it is way too bright. The customer was ready to return it before I was sent out to resolve. The obnoxious part is to change from art mode to off you have to change that field then the tv has to be turned on then off in c4 from my experience. If someone has found a better way please let me know so I know for the future. 

1 minute ago, sonic30101 said:

Without some programing to make it turn off instead of going into art mode at night it is way too bright. The customer was ready to return it before I was sent out to resolve

There’s no brightness control in art mode?

2 hours ago, sonic30101 said:

to change from art mode to off you have to change that field then the tv has to be turned on then off in c4

This is a real eye-opener for me, wow.  So do you have to do this gymnastics exercise every time you want to turn the TV off instead of art mode?  I was thinking that I could set a timer to control when art mode is active.  Like have the thing go to art mode for a few hours after work or on weekends and otherwise keep it off-off. 

There are reports in the Samsung forums that there are issues with the TV not waking up into Art mode when motion is detected and general issues with motion detection.  What has your experience been with the responsiveness of motion detection?  I would like the TV to do the work of keeping art mode active rather than having to rely on using C4 programming to put the TV in art mode when triggered by an external motion detector.

Sorry if I'm hijacking a bit, but wanted to confirm that the TV will respond as I intend... 

As an aside I'm looking at this TV, not so much for the art mode, but for the flush mount and sleek look.  Since it will be in the bedroom, I doubt we will be using art mode all that much after we get over the initial "look how cool" thrill.  

For our everyday purposes, we would likely want the TV to be off most of the time.  When we do watch the TV, we'll likely be relaxing in bed and using a sleep function that I'd program to fire off a "Room Off" command after [x] minutes.  When that command executes I would want the TV to turn off - not go to Art mode.

Will this work?

Since Art mode is a neat feature, I wouldn't mind programming it to be enabled at various times during the day.  Seems like the TV has built-in scheduling options for enabling art mode vs. "off mode".  Anyone have any experience with this feature?

As an alternative, can I potentially set up a variable that I can tie to scheduler that would toggle Art mode?  I'm thinking something like this:

Set a scheduler to make the variable "Art Mode Active" true or false at set times;

Then program: When variable "Art Mode Active" is true -> turn on art mode.  The expectation being in this case, the TV is in art mode and motion detection toggles the display on / off according to the TV parameters.  If someone watches TV when this state is active, when they turn the TV off, it goes to art mode. 

Next: When variable "Art Mode Active" is false -> turn off art mode.  Expectation here would be the TV is off.  When this state is true and someone watches TV, a room-off command turns the TV off.

Let me know if this is doable, either through native TV programming, or through the use of scheduler / variables / other.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, joecheech said:

Sorry if I'm hijacking a bit, but wanted to confirm that the TV will respond as I intend...

As an aside I'm looking at this TV, not so much for the art mode, but for the flush mount and sleek look. Since it will be in the bedroom, I doubt we will be using art mode all that much after we get over the initial "look how cool" thrill.

For our everyday purposes, we would likely want the TV to be off most of the time. When we do watch the TV, we'll likely be relaxing in bed and using a sleep function that I'd program to fire off a "Room Off" command after [X] minutes. When that command executes I would want the TV to turn off - not go to Art mode.

Will this work?

Since Art mode is a neat feature, I wouldn't mind programming it to be enabled at various times during the day. Seems like the TV has built-in scheduling options for enabling art mode vs. "off mode". Anyone have any experience with this feature?

As an alternative, can I potentially set up a variable that I can tie to scheduler that would toggle Art mode? I'm thinking something like this:

Set a scheduler to make the variable "Art Mode Active" true or false at set times;

Then program: When variable "Art Mode Active" is true -> turn on art mode. The expectation being in this case, the TV is in art mode and motion detection toggles the display on / off according to the TV parameters. If someone watches TV when this state is active, when they turn the TV off, it goes to art mode.

Next: When variable "Art Mode Active" is false -> turn off art mode. Expectation here would be the TV is off. When this state is true and someone watches TV, a room-off command turns the TV off.

Let me know if this is doable, either through native TV programming, or through the use of scheduler / variables / other.

Thanks!

yes all is doable, most people that frequent the forum are much more educated as far as the nuances of automation. If you will mostly just be treating it as a regular tv it will be fine, you can also use custom buttons/experience buttons to run a macro to change the property then turn the tv on then back off to switch back and forth it is just no where as easy as most expect. More programing than I anticipated though not a lot. Just be aware that there are some minor quirks and if in artmode when it is time to go to bed you probably will not be happy

Thanks very much.  Seems aggravating. Wonder if I can stick an IR bud on there for just this task.  Please tell me the IR eye is on the one connect box so that I can at least tuck that out of site in the enormous Strong Box that I’ll have to put in the wall behind the TV.  

2 minutes ago, joecheech said:

Thanks very much.  Seems aggravating. Wonder if I can stick an IR bud on there for just this task.  Please tell me the IR eye is on the one connect box so that I can at least tuck that out of site in the enormous Strong Box that I’ll have to put in the wall behind the TV.  

Why use IR when there is IP control?

Would use IP control for most functions and set up the IR to send a signal that emulates holding down the off button on the Samsung remote in order to avoid having to turn the thing off, then on, then off again as Sonic mentioned.  Not even sure that would work, honestly. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.