C4 Forums | Control4

ANPR / ALPR Driver For ALL Cameras!

Shivam Paw

7 minutes ago, Hieunv said:

I just set up the ANPR driver and clicked on 'Actions TestImageCapture'.

It shows in Lua, but I don't know how the ANPR driver can accurately recognize license plates.

Can you help me with the next steps? What should I do with it so that it can correctly recognize my license plate and automatically open the door?

Thanks so much!

Setup ANPR.png

TestImageCapture.png

You need to sign up to PlateRecognizer and put the API key in the driver properties for the ANPR functionality. Then you can trigger a check and get the results using C4 standard programming.

Does this mean that someone could "hack" their way into my property by spoofing my plate number?  If my plate was "ABC 123" could they print that off on a piece of paper and tape that to their front plate?  They then drive up to my gate and it would open?

51 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Does this mean that someone could "hack" their way into my property by spoofing my plate number?  If my plate was "ABC 123" could they print that off on a piece of paper and tape that to their front plate?  They then drive up to my gate and it would open?

Yup, unless there is a secondary means that works in tandem to confirm it..but then it defies the simplicity it is meant to provide. It's often an awkward moment during project meetings when this comes up and i am offered this only to then throw that 'what if' scenario.

To be fair, i am sure there are better use cases and not just to open a gate.

Just now, South Africa C4 user said:

Combined with location services on a phone, it is very powerful and relatively secure…

Admittedly, someone can steal your phone and spoof your licence plate…

Then again, they can also steal your remote and / or cut off your thumb (watched too many movies clearly).

22 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Combined with location services on a phone, it is very powerful and relatively secure…

i'd love to see how you combined the programming

Couldn't you do something like this:

If LicensePlateNumber ="ABC123"
	if JohnsPhoneinGeoFence = TRUE
		OpenGate

But how long until the geofence condition turns true?  Is it instant?

My car (Tesla Model S) has geofencing for the HomeLink signal for my garage door opener.  When I pull in my driveway and get within a few metres of the door it opens from the HomeLink signal.

15 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Couldn't you do something like this:

If LicensePlateNumber ="ABC123"
	if JohnsPhoneinGeoFence = TRUE
		OpenGate

But how long until the geofence condition turns true?  Is it instant?

My car (Tesla Model S) has geofencing for the HomeLink signal for my garage door opener.  When I pull in my driveway and get within a few metres of the door it opens from the HomeLink signal.

Something like that probs works. 

I think also you could set a slightly wider radius maybe and if you get within a minute of home, set a variable to true, and start a timer to set it to false after 2 minutes. then when license plate is detected and matches, and ur car is in the area, open the gate

8 minutes ago, Shivam Paw said:

Something like that probs works. 

I think also you could set a slightly wider radius maybe and if you get within a minute of home, set a variable to true, and start a timer to set it to false after 2 minutes. then when license plate is detected and matches, and ur car is in the area, open the gate

This is pretty much my methodology.  When I get within 1km of the house, I set a variable to true and leave it true for 5 minutes .  Then when the number plate is recognised, I open the gates, garage and deactivate the alarm (I also turn on lights if it is night time and the alarm was active - ie. no one at home).

I used to use a geo location only and it opened the gate as I was driving down the road.  Sometimes it was perfect, sometimes I had to wait half a minute for it to open and occasionally it opened too soon.  Bottom line it was inconsistent.  The combined methodology adds a layer of security and it creates a consistent experience.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.