C4 Forums | Control4

For those knocking the Neeo price/feature set

eggzlot

good callout. the URC looks like a newer Harmony remote using the design from 8 years ago. Either way, I love the Neeo and I dont use voice control. I do wish it had a few more hard buttons, but for my personal use (no cable TV/sat/etc) i don't need hard numbers so it's not a deal breaker. 

1 hour ago, Christopher Spitler said:

good callout. the URC looks like a newer Harmony remote using the design from 8 years ago. Either way, I love the Neeo and I dont use voice control. I do wish it had a few more hard buttons, but for my personal use (no cable TV/sat/etc) i don't need hard numbers so it's not a deal breaker. 

yeah I agree the design/shape is a little "old" looking.  I am more keen on the buttons - the TSR-310 from Crestron still lacks 0-9 but has more usable hard buttons and the HR-310 has no touch screen but the 0-9 buttons - that HR-310 is still my favorite - especially with the custom buttons on top.

Just interesting to see other competitors and their form factors after a lot of discussion on the pros/cons of the Neeo.

(typing on mobile excuse the formatting)

I will give you my impressions as I took the plunge. It was a grudge purchase At first bit I have to have the gadgets :)

a week or so usuage: 

pros

Its a beautiful design, great build quality and I always appreciate the small things like the cloth included to clean the screen and the cable management included with the C4 logo. Screen is a great resolution for a small screen. It has some great functionality, finally I can replace my terrible T3s have, the T3s have just been a cr@py experience and I have quite a few. The wife loves the remote over the T3s and the SR 260s I have. Wife happy life happy :) battery life is great. 

cons

IMHO its mostly fixable via software updates. Interface is confused i.e If you go to listen>tidal>playlist all the songs are there but then you cant use the direction buttons to scroll the playlist, you must use the touch screen (the touch screen is a pro 🙂 ) lack of camera etc buttons -you have OSD which works well! You have experience buttons you can map on the sw (would of been nice to have some hard buttons like the color ones on the SR remotes) Software is still a little slow like changing rooms but so was the SR260s and the T3s so its a larger c4 design issue not the remote. No notifications on the remote :( like when my front gate is open I have a camera snapshot notification sent, all my navigators get the notification but the neo. 

All of these in my view C4 can fix via software but alas C4 fixes take way, way, way, way (@ryanE hint hint) to long during release, in this time and day users expect quicker even if its smaller releases. 

Personally the back lighting on the buttons is an oversight and yes should of been incorporated for this priced remote, tbh took me two days to remember the button positions ...  

Will I replace my 6+ T3s with neos - absolutely as I hate the T3s. 

Things I would like to see is a screen protector and / or case for the remote, I have a 4 yr old and a 32 year old wife both of which are real users :)  and the remotes / T3 tool some proper damage from “normal” use. Cameras shown on the neo screen (actual streaming). Screen is small yes res might not support it but the screen is big enough to be able to quickly look and if there is something you wanna have a look at use the OSD of the navigator on you TV. 

Apologies for the format, and long post but wanted to post this on a “is it worth $600” type of post. 

5 hours ago, ILoveControl said:

(typing on mobile excuse the formatting)

I will give you my impressions as I took the plunge. It was a grudge purchase At first bit I have to have the gadgets :)

a week or so usuage: 

pros

Its a beautiful design, great build quality and I always appreciate the small things like the cloth included to clean the screen and the cable management included with the C4 logo. Screen is a great resolution for a small screen. It has some great functionality, finally I can replace my terrible T3s have, the T3s have just been a cr@py experience and I have quite a few. The wife loves the remote over the T3s and the SR 260s I have. Wife happy life happy :) battery life is great. 

cons

IMHO its mostly fixable via software updates. Interface is confused i.e If you go to listen>tidal>playlist all the songs are there but then you cant use the direction buttons to scroll the playlist, you must use the touch screen (the touch screen is a pro 🙂 ) lack of camera etc buttons -you have OSD which works well! You have experience buttons you can map on the sw (would of been nice to have some hard buttons like the color ones on the SR remotes) Software is still a little slow like changing rooms but so was the SR260s and the T3s so its a larger c4 design issue not the remote. No notifications on the remote :( like when my front gate is open I have a camera snapshot notification sent, all my navigators get the notification but the neo. 

All of these in my view C4 can fix via software but alas C4 fixes take way, way, way, way (@ryanE hint hint) to long during release, in this time and day users expect quicker even if its smaller releases. 

Personally the back lighting on the buttons is an oversight and yes should of been incorporated for this priced remote, tbh took me two days to remember the button positions ...  

Will I replace my 6+ T3s with neos - absolutely as I hate the T3s. 

Things I would like to see is a screen protector and / or case for the remote, I have a 4 yr old and a 32 year old wife both of which are real users :)  and the remotes / T3 tool some proper damage from “normal” use. Cameras shown on the neo screen (actual streaming). Screen is small yes res might not support it but the screen is big enough to be able to quickly look and if there is something you wanna have a look at use the OSD of the navigator on you TV. 

Apologies for the format, and long post but wanted to post this on a “is it worth $600” type of post. 

I’m a month in and the above is pretty much my view (apart from the fact that I like my T3s - albeit they are all in wall and I would never buy the portable T3... I have iPads thank you).

Main issues are:

1. Backlights - not fixable by software sadly.

2. Need a few more buttons... Can probably be fixed by adding a row at the top of the screen that gives you custom buttons which are there all the time if you want.

3. Some software upgrade needed as highlighted above.

In our bedroom TV lounge (main viewing area), I have my trusted SR260 and my Neeo... I like both but tend to still go for the SR260 instinctively and am trying to ween myself off.  Of course in other viewing areas (home and beach house), I have SR260s and a few old SR250s so weening will not be easy!

I’m a month in and the above is pretty much my view (apart from the fact that I like my T3s - albeit they are all in wall and I would never buy the portable T3... I have iPads thank you).
Main issues are:
1. Backlights - not fixable by software sadly.
2. Need a few more buttons... Can probably be fixed by adding a row at the top of the screen that gives you custom buttons which are there all the time if you want.
3. Some software upgrade needed as highlighted above.
In our bedroom TV lounge (main viewing area), I have my trusted SR260 and my Neeo... I like both but tend to still go for the SR260 instinctively and am trying to ween myself off.  Of course in other viewing areas (home and beach house), I have SR260s and a few old SR250s so weening will not be easy!

Good points the hardware issues like back light we stuck with until the version they really wanted to release might become available in a few months as version 1.1. At which point all the current owners will be highly @&$/(;$ off :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, cdepaola said:

If your going to compare remotes and would people pay more might as well compare the new Crestron Remotes to the new C4 remote...

https://www.crestron.com/Products/Featured-Solutions/Crestron-Remotes

No plan to get the neeo but would immediately purchase something like the Crestron version.

Oh I agree and I think the non touch screen version is perfect.  But most people always say Crestron is “super premium” especially on pricing.  Whereas URC I believe market wise is seem as a close competitor to C4 for residential.  But those non touch screen with custom key caps on the Creston are sweet.  I’d buy 3 of those today for my house if they were running C4.  On a remote I do not get the excitement of a touch screen.  Looks nice but eh.  Last night my SR250 ran out of juice - I was lazy and didn’t go to a room to get another, I just used my iOS and even just for fast forwarding through commercials it was a drag, always looking down.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.