C4 Forums | Control4

Controller as 12V trigger

ILoveC4

So - I’ve got a couple of 500w Episode Amps in my rack that are tied in to my distributed audio system. They’re able to be powered on and off using a 12v trigger. 

I know I can jump a contact over to a relay to get 12v, but I’m trying to think through how to have the relay automatically trigger when that zone is activated. I guess I could just do it via programming. Is the controller as a 12v trigger standard practice?

So - I’ve got a couple of 500w Episode Amps in my rack that are tied in to my distributed audio system. They’re able to be powered on and off using a 12v trigger. 

I know I can jump a contact over to a relay to get 12v, but I’m trying to think through how to have the relay automatically trigger when that zone is activated. I guess I could just do it via programming. Is the controller as a 12v trigger standard practice?
The control4 power amp driver does that automagically.

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk

Okay, so if what I'm understanding is correct, you guys are referring to the Control4 Power Amp driver, and the fact that it has a 12V trigger. I do have a Control4 Power Amp, but I also have a Matrix Amp and an audio matrix. The 2 zones that have the subwoofers and therefore the amps are connected to the Matrix Amp. And furthermore, I need 2 of them, not just 1.

Is there a separate driver that does this, or is just part of that one amp driver? Assuming it IS just part of the power amp driver, is there any reason why I couldn't/shouldn't just use a contact and a relay from the controller to do this? I need 2 of them anyways...

You need to add another instance of the pa driver.

Virtual bind audio paths. And the relay.

Wire the relay.

Wire the audio paths.

It removes any programming. The room on will turn the amp on. You are overthinking this as I was before I was given this answer. One of the beauties of control4. Removing all this baseline programming.

My AMX amp has the baseline programming for the amp in the handbook. It's insane.

You cannot use the same principal as above when using sub amps, because you can't BIND them to the rooms they are in - because there are existing binding required for the 'regular' amps.

In that scenario I would just use programming.

Simply put:

WHEN [room] POWER_STATE_CHANGES
IF [room] is on
	Close relay [room sub]
	stop
Open relay [room sub]

2 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Hang on there.

Am I correct in assuming these are SUB amps for additional subwoofers in certain rooms?

Because that changes the situation a little bit.

They are sub amps, that is correct. In 2 zones, I have dual 8" in wall subs, connected to Episode 500w power amplifiers. I have the audio out from matrix split, going to the respective amps (the sub amp and the Control4 amp). These two zones happen to be connected to my Matrix amp. So it goes like this:

Audio Source - Audio Matrix Input - Audio Matrix Output - SPLITTER - Control4 Matrix Amp - Speaker Wires to Room
                                                                                                    - SPLITTER - Episode 500w Amp - Speaker Wires to Subwoofer

Right now, I just have the amps on all the time (for the last week). I want to connect the 12v triggers on the amps so that the amps are only powered on as needed. Does that make sense?

4 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

You cannot use the same principal as above when using sub amps, because you can't BIND them to the rooms they are in - because there are existing binding required for the 'regular' amps.

Simply put:

WHEN [room] POWER_STATE_CHANGES
IF [room] is on
	Close relay [room sub]
	stop
Open relay [room sub]

Thank you. So in this case, I have Control4 contacts and relays, and I have the 12v trigger in on the amp.

Would I make a jumper from the +12v on the contact to the com on the relay, then from the NO on the relay to the 12v trigger on the amp?

4 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

Thank you. So in this case, I have Control4 contacts and relays, and I have the 12v trigger in on the amp.

Would I make a jumper from the +12v on the contact to the com on the relay, then from the NO on the relay to the 12v trigger on the amp?

It DEPENDS on if the episode amp requires a true 12v signal, or if it generates it's own 12v (easy to test, just short the connection on the sub amp - if it stays off, it needs external 12v)

sensor (or external powersupply) 12v to COM

NO to 12v+ on amp

sensor ground (or powersupply neg) to ground/neg on the sub amp

If it supplies it's own 12v, then it's just a default relay connection - sub amp to a relay, one wire to COM, one to NO

3 hours ago, Cyknight said:

It DEPENDS on if the episode amp requires a true 12v signal, or if it generates it's own 12v (easy to test, just short the connection on the sub amp - if it stays off, it needs external 12v)

sensor (or external powersupply) 12v to COM

NO to 12v+ on amp

sensor ground (or powersupply neg) to ground/neg on the sub amp

If it supplies it's own 12v, then it's just a default relay connection - sub amp to a relay, one wire to COM, one to NO

Cool, thanks. I’m not there right now, but the amp has a 3.5mm plug out for the 12v trigger. I guess I’ll plug an IR bud in, lop the bud off and test if there’s 12V there or not. 

Simply put:

WHEN [room] POWER_STATE_CHANGESIF [room] is onClose relay [room sub]stopOpen relay [room sub]

That said. It is quite possible the other amp has a 12v out and this is still overthinking and you just connect the sub amp to the 12v on the avr.

17 minutes ago, SMHarman said:

That said. It is quite possible the other amp has a 12v out and this is still overthinking and you just connect the sub amp to the 12v on the avr.

No AVR. The subs in the theater are powered at the sub and those have a passive connection to the AVR. These are just for distributed audio. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.