C4 Forums | Control4

Swapping from HC800 to EA5

Waring192

Hello all,

Have a slight problem with the EA5 I bought from the states possibly being lost in the post...thankfully its fully insured though! If it is the case of being lost and claiming insurance that's going to take some time and have found someone selling a EA3 which would work also. I was wondering if it's possible to get the ball rolling in having the HC800 installed initially as the Master/Director by the dealer (personal friend) then swap out to the EA3 or 5 when it arrives? Is that possible or a big job? Just saves all the kit doing nothing for at least 3-4 weeks.

Also I require a min of 5 audio outs but ideally would like 6. If I was to add the HC800 it would bring the total number of outputs for the Matrix to a total of 7. This would be made up of 3 Digital and 3 analog as my C4 Matrix does not support HDMI in. Im sure I read somewhere or somebody told me that adding the HC800 would lower the audio quality, is that correct? If so, is that just for the outputs of the HC800 or both the EA and HC800?

Cheers

The HC800 audio outputs are locked to 'cd quality' and are not high-rez, so any zone using those outputs will technically have lesser audio quality potential, yes.

Whether that's something you notice depends on a lot of factors though, including the rest of your system, your own ability to hear the difference (let a alone care) and the audio sources you are using to begin with.

In principal, you can get the system running on an HC800 and do a fairly painless move to the EA5 - absolutely, though if it's a huge project it may run a little less smooth.

Cheers for the quick reply. 

I am fine with the lack of audio quality to be honest, CD is enough for me really.

I have some semi decent in ceiling speakers:

• 1 x Elan 800 Series 8” Single Stereo (for bathroom)

• 1 x Elan 800 Series 6.5” Pair

• 3 x SpeakerCraft Profile CRS6 Zero 6.5” Pairs

I think I will do that and get the HC800 going first while I wait for the EA5 or your EA3. Can the HC800 be updated to 3.0 or does it not matter as a slave? Also, if I wanted more sources I could use the HDMI out from the EA for the OSD (the rack is in the garage on the other side of main TV so hooking it up via HDMI would be easy. 

Also I could have audio via my sitting room 7.1 amp running in stereo or could I use Zone 2 on the amp to run separated ceiling speakers but that would require a stereo amp from then Zone 2 RCA output before the speakers.

Just read up about the migration wizard so should be easy/cheap to be swapped.

Also, if I’m using it as a slave at a later date is there any point of getting the HC800- B1 over the HC800-B?

Lastly, while using the HC800 As the master until the EA’s arrive, what do I lose in terms of functionality in not having the cheaper B instead of the B1?

Many thanks 

6 hours ago, Waring192 said:

Also, if I’m using it as a slave at a later date is there any point of getting the HC800- B1 over the HC800-B?

Depends, without the B1 you wont have app access until the HC800 is replaced.

6 hours ago, Waring192 said:

Lastly, while using the HC800 As the master until the EA’s arrive, what do I lose in terms of functionality in not having the cheaper B instead of the B1?

Should read the whole post first shouldn't I? 😉 Just the above, no app control.

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Depends, without the B1 you wont have app access until the HC800 is replaced.

Should read the whole post first shouldn't I? 😉 Just the above, no app control.

Haha, no thank you for your feedback.

I have a T3 tabletop 7” and looking to get a in wall one also so the lack of app use isn’t a problem really. It would be if it was stuck like that forever as I would like to use my iPhone etc in the future.

I read about problems digital and analog echoing and was advised to go analog only. This would mean getting two HC800’s to get min 5 analog outputs but they are so cheap it’s worth it I think. Even if I managed to get hold of the EA5 I bought I would be stuck with just 4 analog outputs with one HC800.

1 hour ago, Waring192 said:

Haha, no thank you for your feedback.

I have a T3 tabletop 7” and looking to get a in wall one also so the lack of app use isn’t a problem really. It would be if it was stuck like that forever as I would like to use my iPhone etc in the future.

I read about problems digital and analog echoing and was advised to go analog only. This would mean getting two HC800’s to get min 5 analog outputs but they are so cheap it’s worth it I think. Even if I managed to get hold of the EA5 I bought I would be stuck with just 4 analog outputs with one HC800.

There were some issues using coax and stereo on 800 in the past, but I think those were resolved - it's never been an issue for me with the EA series though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.