C4 Forums | Control4

Switched Ubiquiti erl3 to Pakedge Re2 for DS2 issues

neil.patel

I had posted a while back about issues with the ds2 doorstation this past year regarding video/call quality and reliability. The intercom app was hopelessly unreliable from the ds2 video and audio quality virtually inaudible on my touchscrees. I had two years of successful use with the edgerouter in the system but I'm thinking something must have changed through all the updates over the years either with c4's sip protocol or the edgerouter itself. Regardless I'm just posting to say that switching to the pakedge re-2 router (yes I know it is an older sku) did in fact improve my ds2 reliability and quality for intercom calls. I am not using the pakedge zones feature, but simply configured a flat network and it worked well enough. 

I was skeptical that the router was the issue at first since I've had such good reliability out of my ubiquiti networking products and c4 and I continue to use an ap-ac for wifi, however I can say that people's suggestions to switch to a pakedge router worked in my case. Hope it helps others who have run into similar situations.

It's the Ubiquiti implantation of multicast in the Edgerouter that causes all the Control4 headaches and hence it's place on Control4's do not use list of networking equipment. It's great you solved your problem.

8 hours ago, AK1 said:

It's the Ubiquiti implantation of multicast in the Edgerouter that causes all the Control4 headaches and hence it's place on Control4's do not use list of networking equipment. It's great you solved your problem.

Are those silicone or saline implantations?  :)

On 9/23/2019 at 9:31 AM, AK1 said:

Where can I find the do not use list?

9 minutes ago, slash007 said:

Where can I find the do not use list?

Right here....

DO NOT USE any of the following devices with your Control4 system. Every device on this list is known to cause issues and will not be supported. If you have no other option please work with Pakedge for a solution using our recommended networking gear.

Use Bridge Mode (IP Passthrough) Setup for Common ISP modem/routers for help setting your current ISP provided device to bridge-mode if needed. 

Control4 does not recommend or support the use of ISP provided routers / WiFi.

Article Body
Make Model  Device Type Known issues
2Wire 3801HGV Modem/Router Devices fall offline and/or will not identify 
Actiontec Any   Devices fall offline and/or will not identify 
Arris NVG599 Modem/Router Devices fall offline and/or will not identify 
Actiontec Any Modem/Router  Devices fall offline and/or will not identify 
Alcatel Lucent I-240W-R   lack support for UPnP and/or STP and/or SMB/CIFS
Alcatel Lucent I-240W-T   lack support for UPnP and/or STP and/or SMB/CIFS
Arcor Easy Box a300   lack support for UPnP and/or STP and/or SMB/CIFS
Belkin F5D Series   lack support for UPnP and/or STP and/or SMB/CIFS
Belkin F7D Series   lack support for UPnP and/or STP and/or SMB/CIFS
Belkin F9K1103   lack support for UPnP and/or STP and/or SMB/CIFS
Belkin N750DB   Anywhere Access Issues
Belkin N600DB   Anywhere Access Issues 
BT Homehub (All Versions)   Anywhere Access Issues  / Devices fall offline and/or will not identify
Dlink WBR-2310    
Dlink 655   Does not work with dual transport devices (ie. tuner, amp, switch)
Eero Any Mesh Building Router Devices fall offline and/or will not identify
Engenius ESR-9850   Anywhere Access Issues 
Engenius ESR-9752   Anywhere Access Issues
Google GFRG100   Devices don't show up or fall offline 
Google GFRG110   Devices don't show up or fall offline
Google Onehub Mesh Building Router Devices don't show up or fall offline
Linksys WRT54G (all models) Router  
Linksys  BEFSR41   Multicasting incorrectly set by default - intermittent lock ups
Linksys BEFSX41   Lock ups requiring reboot constantly
Linksys ALL WRT Models    
Luxul   All Wi-Fi devices Intercom Issues using Luxul Wi-Fi
Micronet Sp648   lack support for UPnP and/or STP and/or SMB/CIFS
Motorola  NVG589   Devices fall offline and/or will not identify 
Netgear DGN2000   lack support for UPnP and/or STP and/or SMB/CIFS
Netgear  FS526T   lack support for UPnP and/or STP and/or SMB/CIFS
Netgear FVS336G   lack support for UPnP and/or STP and/or SMB/CIFS
Netgear  GS108v1   lack support for UPnP and/or STP and/or SMB/CIFS
Netgear GS108v2    
Netgear  N150 (WPN824N)   Devices don't show up or fall offline
Netgear N300 (WNR2000)   Devices don't show up or fall offline
Netgear WGT624    
Netgear Orbi Mesh Building Router Devices fall offline and or will not identify
Pace  5031NV Modem/Router Devices fall offline or will not identify 
Pace  5268AC Modem/Router Devices fall offline and/or will not identify 
Planet FGSW-1828    
Ubiquiti  Any Router/Switch/AP Does not support multicasting. Only supports IGMP which causes issues such as Control4 devices that fall offline due to UDP keep-alive being blocked through multicast routing. These issues manifest most commonly in large systems with dual transport devices ie. Matrix switches, Amplifiers, and Centralized Lighting. 

1 hour ago, slash007 said:

Thanks!  I was planning on putting in Unify for my new setup, but this throws a wrench in that.  I have been reading about the issues with them and most don't have any, but we'll see.

We regularly install the WAPs and Cloud Key without a single issue. Everything else causes issues.

I had unifi The first few years of living here and everything was great… I’m not sure if through the software updates something changed for the worse… I had gone through all the trouble shooting and factory restores just to make sure it wasn't a corrupt firmware or driver. I honestly didn't want to change off my edge router I had great reliability with it otherwise. I literally just setup the used Pak-edge one I bought add a flat network just to see and I could immediately use my doorstation again and actually answer calls with intercom anywhere. 

36 minutes ago, slash007 said:

Hmm.  Not sure if I want to risk it then.  I'll still use Unify AP and switches, guess I'll look at router options.  If I do use a different router, wont' I lose my Unify management options?

No.  You'll retain Unifi management of your WAP's and Switches as long as you have a controller running somewhere.  

2 hours ago, slash007 said:

Hmm.  Not sure if I want to risk it then.  I'll still use Unify AP and switches, guess I'll look at router options.  If I do use a different router, wont' I lose my Unify management options?

Definitely do not use Unifi switches -  the only products wee have found that don't cause Control4 headaches are APs and the Cloud Key for management purposes.

2 hours ago, AK1 said:

Definitely do not use Unifi switches -  the only products wee have found that don't cause Control4 headaches are APs and the Cloud Key for management purposes.

I use Unifi switches - and it's 100% fine.  YMMV, however. 

I don't do video distribution.  I also have multiple VLANs (separate for wireless, automation devices, security, etc).

1 minute ago, slash007 said:

I do plan on video distribution and will also have 2 Door Stations, so it is a concern.  Any switch/router other than Pakedge that is more budget friendly and won't cause issues?

Araknis

Archived