C4 Forums | Control4

changing internet provider, what. should I be aware of

Froggy1976

If it's fiber, you will have to use their router and then the home network becomes a little more complicated as you need will likely not want to use their router if you desire a more robust home network.   Then you have to have a router behind a router setup which requires a bit more setup and care...

Hi all,

thanks heaps for the advice.

I thought it was a major pain to change ISP but glad it s not.

I have been putting it off but I think I will jump ships very soon.

What about the account on the ea3 being under a specific email address. If I change ISP I will also loose my email adress.

cheers

33 minutes ago, Froggy1976 said:

Hi all,

What about the account on the ea3 being under a specific email address. If I change ISP I will also loose my email adress.

cheers

Changing ISP will not impact anything except your network (if they use their router instead of yours), and your internet connection. Your controller registration and Control4 account should just work regardless of ISP.

Some ISPs are better than other for music streaming and remote connectivity. If you're going with a faster ISP, it may be a better experience overall.

Hi all,

cheers
Get a Gmail or similar ISP agnostic email address.

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

Can't you just get the new companies router, put it in bridge mode, and use all of your current equipment? Seems easiest just a quick reboot and done. 

Some routers cannot be placed in bridge mode.   The AT&T UVerse giga modem/router cannot.

On 9/22/2019 at 1:43 AM, Froggy1976 said:

Hi all,

I am thinking of changing internet providers.

What should I be aware of in regards to C4.

Will I have to re configure everything?

Do you use your own router i.e. one not provided by your ISP?

Here are the common pitfalls we see when changing ISPs:

* WORST - client uses ISP router and has static IP addresses for Control4 equipment, often the controller. New ISP uses a different class C IP addressing scheme. Glorious PITA to fix: change IP address scheme on new router to match old scheme (often not possible on ISP router) OR network reset on Control4 equipment (big pain if a tight rack) OR introduce a real router and hopefully bridge ISP router 

* New ISP router can't be bridged so any port forwarding e.g. for cameras, stops working. Need to open ports in new ISP router or setup DMZ.

Please contact your dealer before the change.

Some of the cable ISP gateways cant be put in bridge mode either when the accompanied cable boxes rely on moca and a cloud dvr 

We typically use DMZ where bridging is not possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/22/2019 at 6:53 AM, Froggy1976 said:

Hate to break it to you, but it CAN be - but that all depends on the current network setup.

It could be the easiest thing in the world, or it could crash everything.

Fortunately the latter is very uncommon, and usually it's not a very big deal.

ISP router can be bridged? Zero issues. It can't be, now you're possibly opening up a can of worms. Can it do DMZ and your own router is not on the same sub-net? Not major, can't DMZ or is on the same Subnet.......

Not that I intend to scare you off from doing it, but I don't want you going in thinking it's as simple as flipping a switch and get burned.

As for the email address - just log in and change it on-line after all is said and done.

hi all,

thanks again for all the replies.

I do not use a ISP router thankfully.

Since I indicated my willingness to change, they came back to the table and offered me what I was after in the first place, which was getting rid of my landline as I have not used it in 2 years and go on a lesser plan as I only use less than 300gb per month sports having an unlimited plan made no sense.

originally it was either unlimited or 100gb data and the ISP router included. I told them it didn't not suit me so I will cancel my membership and try another ISP.

$8hrs later, they have given me 500gb, no landline and no router for half the price which his great fo me as I don t have to do anything anymore... :)

thanks again for all your advice

Nice! That's similar to what I did. I wanted a modem only for my home and ended up having to negotiate with the ISP sales guy. I ended up adding a landline for free to qualify for the modem (don't have a phone hooked up) and got the speed and sports package at a significant discount, but I use way more internet. I've seen 700GB-1TB usage in a month.

I need to go back in and see what I can negotiate to get their gigabit service instead of having 200mbps down.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.