C4 Forums | Control4

Remote Hub

Will be used for the new remote when it finally surfaces.  Looks like it will be the first product to come out of the acquisition of NEEO some months ago.  The original NEEO remote was a Kickstarter project (I have one knocking around somewhere), and it used a wi-fi Hub with a sleek looking (but rather flawed) remote control handset.

On 9/14/2019 at 1:35 PM, OceanDad said:

Will be used for the new remote when it finally surfaces.  Looks like it will be the first product to come out of the acquisition of NEEO some months ago.  The original NEEO remote was a Kickstarter project (I have one knocking around somewhere), and it used a wi-fi Hub with a sleek looking (but rather flawed) remote control handset.

C4's explanation so far is that it's there now, to allow adding new hardware drivers to be added later without requiring a full composer or system software update.

Remote may not stand for a 'remote control' at all - could be that remote hub is just that - a driver that connects to a remote (as in off-site) hub (as in deposit of drivers), though it is certainly easy to think 'remote control' taking everything into account.

As for the Neeo acquisition, I still suspect that was more for overall design (as in people that do the design) than for the remote or any remote specifically planned. I certainly don't know any details on who worked on the new OS3 navigator layout and control, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear that THAT was the first thing to 'come out' of that.

1 hour ago, chopedogg88 said:

I hear they are coming out with a new remote in a few years

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

lol, which we hear every few years 🤣

In all honesty, I still don't truly see what we'd want from a new remote, at least on a grand scale. Voice control? Shouldn't be on a remote (or even a touchscreen) - develop small device that can be strategically placed to do voice control, if voice control is what you want.

Wait, haven't I heard that before? Something called Alexa, or Google Assistant?

Touchscreen remote, at what, $750? That is so 10 years ago.... if I want a small touchscreen I'll grab my phone.

But hey, maybe someone will bring out something (C4 or any of the others) that make me change my mind.

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

lol, which we hear every few years 🤣

In all honesty, I still don't truly see what we'd want from a new remote, at least on a grand scale. Voice control? Shouldn't be on a remote (or even a touchscreen) - develop small device that can be strategically placed to do voice control, if voice control is what you want.

Wait, haven't I heard that before? Something called Alexa, or Google Assistant?

Touchscreen remote, at what, $750? That is so 10 years ago.... if I want a small touchscreen I'll grab my phone.

But hey, maybe someone will bring out something (C4 or any of the others) that make me change my mind.

It just looks dated.  Function is fine but it looks long in the tooth.  Even a color screen w soft buttons on side and you can customize the buttons

for someone $10,000s into C4 the remote just physically looks like it’s from 2003 and not representative of a “luxury” product 

It just looks dated.  Function is fine but it looks long in the tooth.  Even a color screen w soft buttons on side and you can customize the buttons
for someone $10,000s into C4 the remote just physically looks like it’s from 2003 and not representative of a “luxury” product 

I agree with you. Almost all of the other remotes on the market are nicer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they could get closer to Savant price I would def choose 1 for the theater and 1 for living room. Would be happy with SR 260 for rest. I hear you on pricing but why can companies like logitech make decent remotes w touch screens for much cheaper? I don't mind a $100 premium for better build quality, reliability etc. 

Control4 really needs one at least as an option. The utility of the current remote is great but most people I hand it to hate it. It makes the system feel dated and most people besides us tech heads don’t want all of those buttons. It’s really the last thing Control4 needs. To be honest, I love my Savant remote but the system lacks a lot of third party support. My wife still loves Savant better than Control4 but I think a smoother, more modern remote would make her look at it again. The T3s are ok but they break all the time and they are unreasonably priceda17a35550f9284adb831cdac33d715d0.jpg. Just make a touchscreen remote and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

If they could get closer to Savant price I would def choose 1 for the theater and 1 for living room. Would be happy with SR 260 for rest. I hear you on pricing but why can companies like logitech make decent remotes w touch screens for much cheaper? I don't mind a $100 premium for better build quality, reliability etc. 

Logitech does it because of scale and their business model - they sell at retail vs the CI channel.  Different beasts entirely but scale is the biggest one.  They have a bigger reach via direct sales channels so they can sell at a lower mark up and still do well considering their user base.  They make the $$ on volume.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.