C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa Discovering Duplicates

My Alexa is discovering my devices in duplicate. For example, all of my Lutron Caseta switches are being discovered via the Lutron Bridge and via C4.

If I delete the Lutron version, I seem to lose Alexa voice control. This could be that I’m not asking Alexa properly.

I also have my single Nest doing the same, Kwikset locks, etc. The Nest features are limited in C4, so not sure which to delete. The Kwiksets are in my C4 project, though they are the wrong zigbee version and don’t work, so they are showing up at least twice too. (Not sure why actually 3 times fir one of the locks).

Should I turn off the Alexa feature in the Lutron App?

Will I still have voice control if these are all being added to Alexa by C4?

This is not a C4 question, but I have very old TiVo devices showing up in Alexa even after deleting them on the Alexa site and in the app. I don’t even own these devices any longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Per my previous message on the topic I recommend disabling the lutron lights in the control4 customer.control4.com portal. Let the lutron lights be native Alexa control via lutron skill and let the contro4 stuff be native via control4.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Per my previous message on the topic I recommend disabling the lutron lights in the control4 customer.control4.com portal. Let the lutron lights be native Alexa control via lutron skill and let the contro4 stuff be native via control4.

Sorry Mitch. I misunderstood you and did it the opposite way (disabled the Lutron bridge from talking to Alexa). Now, if I do it the way you just suggested, will I still have C4 control over these? Will they still be part of my C4 ecosystem?

Yes. They just won't be controlled by the c4 Alexa skill. They are just voice controlled by lutron Alexa skill but still Control4 integrated

Ok, good. That’s what I had hoped Mitch.

you can also go to customer.control4.com  / my automation / alexa and see a list of all your devices and available voice commands as well as rename and disable devices. This will only effect alexa and not the c4 project.

Thanks Matt. Unfortunately, the C4 connections show up, but they’re all

some things to check

Ensure there is only 1 copy of the voice scene driver in the project

Make sure the Date, Time, and Timezone are correctly set in the project.

1. Make sure the Control4 Skill is logged into the proper account.
       you might have to change your router not the controller.
  2. Set the controller running Director to have a static DNS of 1: 8.8.8.8, 2: 8.8.4.4 and 3: IP of the router. This is accomplished via:
    System Manager : Network Tab : Configure Button  How to Change Director's DNS to Google
  3. Discover devices "verbally", not via the web page.

4. Try renaming one device on the alexa.amazon.com site and then verbally discover devices again.

5. Make sure the device/room that is not being discovered is not hidden or located within a hidden room and that the Room Name does not match a Voice Scene name i.e.:

Delete the Control4 Skill from alexa.amazon.com, reboot the controller and Echo, then add the Skill back.
Help with adding & deleting the skill, as well as a quick setup guide for Alexa can be found here:
https://www.control4.com/docs/product/alexa/quick-start-guide/english/latest/

On 7/28/2019 at 5:13 PM, time2jet said:

Followed those instructions. I’ve got it working. But... I have all of these dups in Alexa. Maybe I should just ignore them. Everything is responding and more, so unless there’s a real good reason, I’m going to leave it.

if you are still discovering duplicates you may have more skills enabled that are discovering the extras. You may want to go through and delete them or delete the skills. but if it works dont fix it haha

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.