C4 Forums | Control4

Roku Issues

I do not think this is C4 related but I figured I’d post here.  My set up has a Roku (hardwired) into a Video Storm matrix.  I also have an Amazon Fire TV in the same matrix.  I can play Amazon Video and Hulu off either device no problem which has been my main source of content since I cut the cord.  I am behind the times - signed up for Netflix last night.  It will not work for nothing on the Roku - I tried a few movies/tv shows and nothing works, it stutters, no audio, crazy swirls all over the screen etc.  To see if it was my network or TV:

1) I installed Netflix direct on the smart Sony TV bypassing C4/Video storm/encoders, etc - no problem - so I believe my Network is fine
2) I installed Netflix on the Shield TV hooked up to the TV as the decoder for Video Storm - no problem - makes me think the Shield Hardware is fine
3) I installed Netflix on the AFT that is also through the Matrix - no problem with using Netflix via the matrix with another device
4) Hulu and Amazon Prime Video stream fine via the Roku - Roku hardware cannot be shot (it is only ~3-4 months old)

I am really perplexed.  I deleted Netflix and reinstalled on the Roku and has an up to date build.  The Roku is on auto update and its 100% up to date.  I checked my Shield just in case and that is up to date too.

Why do these odd things ALWAYS happen.

6 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

I do not think this is C4 related but I figured I’d post here.  My set up has a Roku (hardwired) into a Video Storm matrix.  I also have an Amazon Fire TV in the same matrix.  I can play Amazon Video and Hulu off either device no problem which has been my main source of content since I cut the cord.  I am behind the times - signed up for Netflix last night.  It will not work for nothing on the Roku - I tried a few movies/tv shows and nothing works, it stutters, no audio, crazy swirls all over the screen etc.  To see if it was my network or TV:

1) I installed Netflix direct on the smart Sony TV bypassing C4/Video storm/encoders, etc - no problem - so I believe my Network is fine
2) I installed Netflix on the Shield TV hooked up to the TV as the decoder for Video Storm - no problem - makes me think the Shield Hardware is fine
3) I installed Netflix on the AFT that is also through the Matrix - no problem with using Netflix via the matrix with another device
4) Hulu and Amazon Prime Video stream fine via the Roku - Roku hardware cannot be shot (it is only ~3-4 months old)

I am really perplexed.  I deleted Netflix and reinstalled on the Roku and has an up to date build.  The Roku is on auto update and its 100% up to date.  I checked my Shield just in case and that is up to date too.

Why do these odd things ALWAYS happen.

Sorry... really!

I can’t answer any of your questions except the last one... “ Murphy’s Law”

3 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Sorry... really!

I can’t answer any of your questions except the last one... “ Murphy’s Law”

But its Netflix and Roku - I’d assume a popular combination.

Sigh...sometimes I really think I should go back to the Stone Age!

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

Roku and Netflix work great together. Use it daily. I blame videostorm

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

But Hulu and amazon video seem to work on the roku

been watching Netflix for 1 hour on the firetv with no issues and that goes through videostorm too

35 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Was it 4k content?

First thing I played was the new Sandler movie.  Then embarrassed to say but one feed to test was the first episode of Friends.  Not my choice but I knew it wouldn’t be 4K.   Don’t think I picked 4K for the Sandler movie either.  But friends I have to assume isn’t 4k

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

Is your video set to fixed or automatic on the Roku?

Display type is 1080p hdcp 1.4 but when I click to the next screen it is set to auto detect 

Auto adjust display refresh rate is disabled

hdr is 4:2:0

9 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

I would disable auto and manually set it to what your videostorm supports

Will do. Wife just took over the TV. I’ll circle back later.  It’s too hot to leave the house today so just fighting over the remote all day 🙂

3 hours ago, msgreenf said:

I would disable auto and manually set it to what your videostorm supports

Didn’t work.  I checked and VS is at 1080p.  I re did both the sink and source setup in VS, I did a regen for all profiles, etc.  It clearly seems to be an HDMI issue with massive stuttering and no audio.  Furthermore Hulu works on the Roku but if I try Netflix on the Roku (and it fails which it has done 100% of the time) and want to go to another channel on the Roku (say Hulu) I cannot do it.  It gets all jammed up,  I have to shut off the room then go back and do “watch hulu roku” to get it working.

For now I guess I’ll just stick to the AFT for Netflix though the interface/controls on the Roku are way nicer.  And I’ll have to remove the Roku from the matrix and plug it directly into a TV and I guess troubleshoot the old school way. 

10 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

I would contact videostorm

Yeah I think I will.  Roku Hulu is still working but Amazon Video on Roku is not working.  I plugged the Roku directly into a TV and it works fine with any Channel/App

@videostorm was spot on with support after I contacted them!  This was their response - I actually kept it at Dolby Digital - lowering from DD+. Didn’t go as far as PCM but it is now working   From VS support:

Roku has a known issue where it sends Dolby Digital Plus to devices which only support Dolby Digital (as indicated in the EDID).  VTX100 is one such device that only supports Dolby Digital.  When it receives DD+ instead, it causes the symptoms you reported.  

To resolve, change the audio settings on your source to not allow DD+.  For some devices, this means setting to PCM only.

Archived