C4 Forums | Control4

Is It Possible To Control A Non Millivolt Fireplace

We just installed a gas fireplace for this coming winter but unfortunately the model the wife picked has an electronic ignition and is operated by an RF remote. I'm not looking for full control of the unit, just simple on and off. Is there any way to do this?

Had a quick look at the wiring diagrams that I could find online.  For sure you could hack the GSR battery box and switch the heater on using a Z2IO (mounted within the base of the firebox) or similar.  I'm assuming that you don't have an available cable going back to the controller (CAT6 or 22/4 etc).

However, it looks like the blower and the lighting are controlled on the line voltage side of things, so they might be a bit trickier.  If you aren't comfortable with both line voltage electrics AND gas installations, then don't mess around.  Find a local pro that is qualified and who understands what you are trying to achieve.  Oh, and don't let your wife choose next time ;)

39 minutes ago, alanchow said:

We are currently writing a driver for this product

https://bondhome.io/

Which controls RF & IR based Fireplaces and Fans.

This integration is based on a new API which they will be releasing shortly via a firmware update.  Driver will be released when their firmware is released.

That looks very interesting.  Certainly a neat way to integrate RF devices without having to hack around inside with wiring.  That's assuming that remote pairing/cloning works well.  Do you happen to know the frequency ranges that Bond supports ?

1 hour ago, Baubas Cat said:

Thanks and I won't. When you say "pro", what kind of pro am I looking for? Control4 pro or Fireplace pro? I'm in Michigan. Any suggestions? 

Both to be honest.  But you might find a C4 dealer that can do everything.  You won't find a gas installer with a handy copy of Composer Pro and a Z2IO in his van...

59 minutes ago, OceanDad said:

That looks very interesting.  Certainly a neat way to integrate RF devices without having to hack around inside with wiring.  That's assuming that remote pairing/cloning works well.  Do you happen to know the frequency ranges that Bond supports ?

Unsure.  You'll need to reach out to them about that sorry.  They have some sort of online device library so thats how most people use it though you can also just learn individual codes yourself and map them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.