C4 Forums | Control4

How Does The Control4 Thermostat Work With A Humidifier

I am getting a whole home Aprilaire humidifier. How does it work with the Aprilaire/Control4 Thermostat? Does the humidifier wire straight to the thermostat or do I still need to have a humidistat? My heating/cooling guy knows nothing about Control4 and I want to be able to monitor and control the humidifier with Control4 so I want to be able to provide him with whatever he needs so it will all work properly.

Yes, there are terminals to connect the humidifier to, and the humidifier option is setup in the installer menu on the thermostat itself, no external humidistat needed.

Do note that the humidity sensor is built-in to the thermostat itself, meaning that you cannot use the remote sensor option for humidity

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

I was told that a humidistat would need to be installed above the humidifier to read the humidity. So if I don't need a humidistat when using the Control4 thermostat, does the Contro4 thermostat need to be installed above the humidifier? I currently have my thermostat in my utility room near the furnace with a temperature sensor in a central hallway. Will I still be able to use the temperature sensor in the hall when using a humidifier? Also will I need an outdoor temperature sensor? Where does my thermostat need to go and what connections need to be made? Is this something that a heating/cooling company can do or do I need a Control4 installer?

14 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

According to the installation PDF for that sensor, it is not compatible with the Control4 thermostat. I also downloaded the new Control4 thermostat manual and all the connections look the same as my current Control4 thermostat except for the outdoor temp connection and the connection for the humidifier solenoid. The only thing I don't understand is how does the thermostat know what the current indoor humidity is? How is it reading it? 

• 8 months later...

Baubas Cat & Neo1738 - can you each provide an update on your solution?  I waited too long to figure out a solution and my HVAC crew just contacted me about installing the humidistats, which they explained are generic large dials ... nothing I want seen anywhere:(  I have 2 humidifiers on opposite sides of home and want to find remote sensors  (hopefully 'small' in size) that can be used.  Current plan for thermostats is to use 2 Ecobees in the laundry room that work off remote sensors (not using readings in the laundry room where the units are located).  Drywall starts tomorrow so I need a solution quickly.  TIA.

My original control4 thermostat was located in my laundry room with a temp sensor in the center hall of the house for a clean look. The newer control4 thermostat with humidity control has the humidity sensor built in and you can't mount one in a remote location so I had to move the thermostat to the hall where the temp sensor was. Not as nice but had to be done.

• 8 months later...

Alright boredom is getting to me so I'm going to revive this convo. I have an Aprilaire 600M:

https://embed.widencdn.net/pdf/plus/rp/jyhfm0pg1b/aprilaire-350-360-400-400m-500-500m-600-600m-700-700m-humidifier-owners-manual-english-french-B2205864B.pdf?u=o29tdq

Since I have a 5-conductor thermostat wire, I can't replace the manual control in the Aprilaire directly from the wire. I'll need something else to pass data, like the Z2IO. The current manual control is reading the humidity from the air return before it hits the handler.

Anyone know if it's possible to wire up a Z2IO to replace the manual control? Eg, wire up the humidity sensor wire from the manual control on the humidifier to the Z2IO contact to get the humidity readout on the C4 Aprilaire Thermostat, then have the Z2IO close the contacts to turn on the humidifier depending on if I set it to auto/manual?

Thanks all!

• 9 months later...

Figured I’d pay this forward like always, I ended up figuring this out. A broken solenoid valve feeding my humidifier prompted me to revisit this. It’s amazing how bad the air quality got in my house because of the stopper valve.

I had a C4-THERM lying around and replaced my legacy C4 thermostat with it. After replacing the valve I wanted to know what the relative humidity was in the house which the C4-THERM supplies. I lacked enough wires in the thermostat wire to hard wire the humidity control, so originally I thought about getting a Z2IO. But for some reason I completely ignored the HC800 10 feet away from the valve in the same closet.

I ran the 24vac connection for the humidifier valve from the control board on my HVAC to red lead going to NO. The COM goes back via the white wire connected to the valve. The other valve wire goes back to the COM on the HVAC control board.

Programming looks for changes in variable HUMIDITY_STATE on the C4-THERM. If string is “Off”, open relay. If string is “Humidifying”, close relay.

So now I get a Humidity read on my mobile app, along with the valve status from showing the relay in my equipment room. Next to setup reminds to change the humidifier pad (which will also remind me to check the valve for build up). I should have done this long ago. Hope this helps anyone else dealing with an analog humidistat on their return with no read out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.