C4 Forums | Control4

Local Video File Playback

livitup

Hello everyone,

I have 100% of my movie content in Kalidescape, AppleTV or physical disks.  I don't rip/download movies.

What I have actually downloaded is the Atmos demo/trailer files from the Dobly website.

I would like to automate something similar to CinemaVision, (https://cinemavision.tv/) but with the ultimate movie source being a Kaleidescape, AppleTV, or Physical Disk.  I am willing to do some prep work to overcome the lack of direct access to movies through these tools.  I am willing to select, start, and pause the movie if I have to.

@alanchow can your K driver allow for programmatic access to movies?  I know that the "Kalidescape movies" driver can show and start a movie through the navigator - are the movies exposed anywhere in Composer so that I could program "Play <insert movie title here>" in programming?  I'd be willing to pre-populate a variable with the name of the movie I want to play in order to get this working with one button.

What methods exist for programmatic access to MP4 video?  What physical player should I use?  Low cost is better since I will only use it for demos/trailers and because I hope to never deal with it's interface.

The final goal is to have trivia, trailers, Dolby trailer, and movie play all one after the other with one button press.  Unfortunately, the movie itself must come from a source other than the rest of the stuff. Maybe use Kodi with Cinemavision for everything before the movie?  Seems like overkill, but maybe that's the easiest answer?

22 hours ago, livitup said:

Hello everyone,

I have 100% of my movie content in Kalidescape, AppleTV or physical disks.  I don't rip/download movies.

What I have actually downloaded is the Atmos demo/trailer files from the Dobly website.

I would like to automate something similar to CinemaVision, (https://cinemavision.tv/) but with the ultimate movie source being a Kaleidescape, AppleTV, or Physical Disk.  I am willing to do some prep work to overcome the lack of direct access to movies through these tools.  I am willing to select, start, and pause the movie if I have to.

@alanchow can your K driver allow for programmatic access to movies?  I know that the "Kalidescape movies" driver can show and start a movie through the navigator - are the movies exposed anywhere in Composer so that I could program "Play <insert movie title here>" in programming?  I'd be willing to pre-populate a variable with the name of the movie I want to play in order to get this working with one button.

What methods exist for programmatic access to MP4 video?  What physical player should I use?  Low cost is better since I will only use it for demos/trailers and because I hope to never deal with it's interface.

The final goal is to have trivia, trailers, Dolby trailer, and movie play all one after the other with one button press.  Unfortunately, the movie itself must come from a source other than the rest of the stuff. Maybe use Kodi with Cinemavision for everything before the movie?  Seems like overkill, but maybe that's the easiest answer?

The driver allows you to select a movie via programming.  The driver doesn't require any variables as it pulls the library as you program.  You just select the movie from the list and off you go.  See page 13 of the installation guide for details.

Note Kaleidescape doesn't allow playback of 3rd party encoded video files.  It does sound like you should probably utilise Kodi or something else.  I don't have the exact answer for you so you should probably check out the kodi.tv forums.

1 hour ago, alanchow said:

The driver allows you to select a movie via programming.  The driver doesn't require any variables as it pulls the library as you program.  You just select the movie from the list and off you go.  See page 13 of the installation guide for details.

I found it. Awesome. I also didn't know there was an installation guide beyond what was in the documentation tab in Composer.  I'm reading it cover to cover now. :)

1 hour ago, alanchow said:

Note Kaleidescape doesn't allow playback of 3rd party encoded video files.  It does sound like you should probably utilise Kodi or something else.  I don't have the exact answer for you so you should probably check out the kodi.tv forums.

I knew I wasn't going to be able to do it through my K.  I have the video files on my NAS, so something as simple as a Pi could do it, except Pi doesn't support Atmos, and I want to play the Atmos trailers. :(

If the video files are just plain MP4 videos (or whatever) without DRM, and they're sitting on a NAS, then C4 should be able to index them and add them to My Movies, right? Someone named @mwiz visited the site once, announced a VLC driver, and then disappeared.  VLC would be perfect for the Atmos trailer.  

The trivia/trailers thing might require me to code something up myself.  I was really trying to avoid doing that, but I've yet to find a standalone pre-show application that isn't tied into the same ecosystem as the movies themselves.

• 4 years later...
On 9/1/2018 at 12:06 PM, livitup said:

I found it. Awesome. I also didn't know there was an installation guide beyond what was in the documentation tab in Composer.  I'm reading it cover to cover now. :)

I knew I wasn't going to be able to do it through my K.  I have the video files on my NAS, so something as simple as a Pi could do it, except Pi doesn't support Atmos, and I want to play the Atmos trailers. :(

If the video files are just plain MP4 videos (or whatever) without DRM, and they're sitting on a NAS, then C4 should be able to index them and add them to My Movies, right? Someone named @mwiz visited the site once, announced a VLC driver, and then disappeared.  VLC would be perfect for the Atmos trailer.  

The trivia/trailers thing might require me to code something up myself.  I was really trying to avoid doing that, but I've yet to find a standalone pre-show application that isn't tied into the same ecosystem as the movies themselves.

@livitupdid you ever get this working?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.