C4 Forums | Control4

Chowmain integrates TP-Link Smart Home Product Line

Chowmain is pleased to release the TP-Link Smart Home suite of drivers for Control4.

These products can be retrofit as they are wifi based (no hub required) and are extremely cost effective with bulbs starting from $19.99USD MSRP, smart plugs/outlets starting from $24.99USD MSRP and wall switches from $39.99USD MSRP.  Products are easily accessible and can be purchased off the shelf from major retailers such as Best Buy, Walmart, Harvey Norman and more.

The majority of the products do not require any electrical installation and  as such can be installed in minutes.

Integration includes

• full two way control/feedback
    • on/off
    • dimming
    • color
    • saturation
    • temperature
  • Auto discovery and self healing
    • means you don't need to set static IP addresses on the network.  Just install via the TP-Link Kasa app and add our driver in.
  • Ability to connect driver to keypad buttons (with LED feedback) to allow for quick on/off/toggle programming
  • Ability to use energy monitoring in HS110 outlets
    • for automatic selection and room off of Playstation, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and other manually controlled device

For more details click link below.

https://www.chowmainsoft.com/tplink-control4

LBXXX+Control4.png?format=500w

How does the color selection slider work? Is it like the DMX driver around here that you can go into (I think) a reverse engineered camera proxy and select any color like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGJSpcTZZ_I#action=share

Or is it like 20% is red.60% is Blue. 80% is green ect...   and you just have to remember what percentage is what color?

In your opinion is using TP-Link RGB bulbs with this driver a better solution than using Philips Hue RGB Bulbs with native driver?

Chowmain is pleased to release the TP-Link Smart Home suite of drivers for Control4.
These products can be retrofit as they are wifi based (no hub required) and are extremely cost effective with bulbs starting from $19.99USD MSRP, smart plugs/outlets starting from $24.99USD MSRP and wall switches from $39.99USD MSRP.  Products are easily accessible and can be purchased off the shelf from major retailers such as Best Buy, Walmart, Harvey Norman and more.
The majority of the products do not require any electrical installation and  as such can be installed in minutes.
Integration includes
  • full two way control/feedback
    • on/off
    • dimming
    • color
    • saturation
    • temperature
  • Auto discovery and self healing
    • means you don't need to set static IP addresses on the network.  Just install via the TP-Link Kasa app and add our driver in.
  • Ability to connect driver to keypad buttons (with LED feedback) to allow for quick on/off/toggle programming
  • Ability to use energy monitoring in HS110 outlets
    • for automatic selection and room off of Playstation, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and other manually controlled device
For more details click link below.

https://www.chowmainsoft.com/tplink-control4
LBXXX+Control4.png?format=500w

For the wall switches, are they available in UK box size (square)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, BraydonH said:

How does the color selection slider work? Is it like the DMX driver around here that you can go into (I think) a reverse engineered camera proxy and select any color like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGJSpcTZZ_I#action=share

Or is it like 20% is red.60% is Blue. 80% is green ect...   and you just have to remember what percentage is what color?

In your opinion is using TP-Link RGB bulbs with this driver a better solution than using Philips Hue RGB Bulbs with native driver?

The camera proxy solution is a pretty cool hack.  The problem is that it only works on certain navigators so we have chosen not to implement it this way.  We have mapped the Hue values directly to a single slider and saturation to another.

i wouldn’t say that tp-link is better than Hue but it does have a few differences.  Mainly being

• doesn’t require a hub

• doesn’t require a mesh (does require wifi to the bulb though)

i think the advantage of the TP-Link range is that it has outlets, wall switches (for entire circuits) and bulbs.  The only thing that they are missing is a strip but hey that’s why we have Control4 right? Can just integrate something like a yeelight wifi strip.

2 hours ago, C4 User said:

In addition to BraydonH’s questions, do you know:

1. Do the PAR30 RGB bulbs need constant power to function properly?

2. If the bulbs lose power, do they remember their last state when power is restored?

Thanks so much.

I am not sure what the PAR30 bulb is but everything requires constant power.

You can use the TP-Link Kasa app to program the default state when power is restored.  This can be set to restore previous state or whatever preset you prefer (eg 100% brightness or plain 0%)

As you are using Control4 I highly encourage that you do not physically power off the bulbs but use keypads, touchscreens, or any other form of integrated UI to control the lights.  For ease of programming we have added keypad bindings that allow for on (preset level), off and toggle with LED feedback.

1 hour ago, Zuhair said:

For the wall switches, are they available in UK box size (square)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wall switches are not available in the UK.

see link below for TP-Link UK website

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/

• 2 years later...

@alanchow I've been using this excellent driver for quite a while, but just ran across a question.

I've just added some HS200 switches to my TP-Link installation.  I have the driver installed and connected to the switches. I can turn them on and off from composer, through C4 advanced lighting scenes, etc. so I know the connection between the light switches and C4 is working.

These light switches have a spring loaded rocker so you only ever push the bottom of the switch to turn the load on or off (it's a toggle). I figured that the programming events "Top Single Tap" and "Top Bottom Tap" mean when the attached load is turned on or off via the switch, so I tried to program activating an advanced lighting scene off of these.  But they don't seem to do anything... am I using these wrong, or is what I'm trying to do not possible?  Basically, when the light switch is turned on I want a lighting scene to turn on, and when it's turned off, I want the scene to turn off.

Also, I noticed that when I add these HS200 switches to an advanced lighting scene, I can not set a delay for their activation.  Is this something that can be added to the driver?

Thanks!

image.thumb.png.dca42ec466403da7adad829f3a36dddc.png

The driver polls for feedback.  As such we don’t know the state instantaneously.  Also we don’t see button presses so this will never work.

in regards to delays in lighting scenes I’ll need to reverse engineer Control4’s lighting scenes a bit more as their lighting scenes are not documented.  We had to do this to get it to work originally so no promises there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.