C4 Forums | Control4

Help!... keypads no longer working

Hi folks.

I have a problem that all of my keypads have stopped responding so unable to turns lights on. Everything has been working as required for 6 years up until yesterday.

I have about 20 keypads (6 button type) across the house and the LEDs are all still glowing so power is going to them. When I press a button on any of the keypads, the lights respective lights do not turn, and the led colour doesn't change either.

I can control lights from Home Edition loaded on my PC, so I know the system does still work. Thermostats work too so able to turn heating on and off.

Recently (over past year) there has been times when the consumer unit fuse has tripped for other reasons. When I have switched back on, I found my keypads have delayed from activating the lights for longer periods. Whereas originally when I turned on the breaker back on the keypads would become usable straightaway, lately it took perhaps 5 mins before what I pressed would result in the respective light turning on. Now it seems like they just won't turn on. 

I have turned the whole system off from the breaker and restarted twice but still no avail. 

Any ideas what it may be? My installer has stopped trading ages ago so can't go to him.

For info, if it matters, I have Virgin Media WiFi being pumped through a network switch to 3 access points; all of this is working fine.

Please help!...

@Matt - do you mean if I have any touch panels?  Nope, don't have any, just keypads.  And I don't have the app installed on my phone/tablet to operate either.

@Theory - not sure where I find that out from.  On the 'About Composer' screen the Composer app, it says Director version 2.2.0.158343 Jan 24 2012 16:53:38.

And yes, they're the previous 2 x 3 version keypads (I *think* KPZ-6B1-B?)

1 hour ago, Matt Lowe said:

ok so these would be zigbee.

so likely just may need to be rebooted.

try pressing the top button 9 times bottom button 4 times and top button 9 times

Matt.. so have tried on two keypads. I had LEDs flicker, then a pink LED and now they seem to have changed all to blue LEDs, and green when I press. But still not turning lights on..

11 minutes ago, Arjay12345 said:

Matt.. so have tried on two keypads. I had LEDs flicker, then a pink LED and now they seem to have changed all to blue LEDs, and green when I press. But still not turning lights on..

doh this is a reset. you might be able to gte them to pair again with a 4 button press on the top

11 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Nah was just a plain reset. I'm thinking the controller doing ZigBee is more likely the issue. If you've already reset all C4 controllers...this may need a dealer to log in and check/fix

Is that the HC-300 I have connected?

Strange that I am able to turn heating on/off from C4 thermostats as usual though. Thry are Zigbee as well, aren't they? Does that provide any further clues to problem?

Its true. 300's are good at just walking off on us for no good reason other then the power supply decided it was done.

If none of your keypads work then it feels more like the Zigbee Coordinator has died from existence. If the device that holds the coordinator has died. then im afraid its a call to your dealer.

On 4/29/2018 at 3:08 AM, Arjay12345 said:

Strange that I am able to turn heating on/off from C4 thermostats as usual though. Thry are Zigbee as well, aren't they? Does that provide any further clues to problem?

Yes, thermostats are ZigBee. Can you control the thermostats from a remote or touch screen? Or are you saying can you turn heating on/off from the face of the thermostat?

Are your keypads located in the rooms with all the lights located elsewhere? If your keypads don't work, but the lights do (and they're all ZigBee devices), they might be on separate ZigBee networks. A dead HC-300 power supply is a good possible cause, because that HC-300 might be running just the keypad ZigBee network. This is an easy-ish fix. Power supply replacements are available online from various sources, and it's pretty straightforward to swap a supply out.

On 4/29/2018 at 2:08 AM, Arjay12345 said:

depends on what controllers you have and which is the zap. if the 300 is the zap and its not working this would explain your issues.

it should have a power and link light

1 hour ago, CRE2000 said:

Did you resolve?

CR

The irony of your timing...

I literally have a new installer here as we speak. Figured that my HC300 is >10 years old and software was way out of date. 10 mins ago, he managed to update software which bought all the keypads back online (they were offline because of the zigbee was not communicating with the keypads because of out of date software...)

I have the keypads that are configured in the 3 x 2 formation. This guy has been working on C4 for 7ish years and never even seen them before.

Time for more spend in updating this old system, starting with probably a new EA-5, but really cannot fork out a while load starting all over again :/

Question for you installers... do people regularly rip out all buttons and boxes to update equipment every 10 years??

My spoligies and you seem quite savvy! I couldn't sleep, I actually remote into most of our companies projects nationwide  from my home office systems due to illness. Sorry I couldn't be of help. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I've been doing for 25+ years. 

Not sure what you mean in regards to the buttons? Please advise when you get time. Thanks!

CR

17 hours ago, Arjay12345 said:

I literally have a new installer here as we speak. Figured that my HC300 is >10 years old and software was way out of date. 10 mins ago, he managed to update software which bought all the keypads back online (they were offline because of the zigbee was not communicating with the keypads because of out of date software...)

I have the keypads that are configured in the 3 x 2 formation. This guy has been working on C4 for 7ish years and never even seen them before.

Time for more spend in updating this old system, starting with probably a new EA-5, but really cannot fork out a while load starting all over again :/

Question for you installers... do people regularly rip out all buttons and boxes to update equipment every 10 years??

If the ceiling lights (or other lighting) has been changed, the newer C4 dimmers (adaptive phase) tend to handle more types of lighting (especially LED) much better than the Gen1 and Gen2 C4 dimmers and switches.  There are many households that still have the older C4 light switches/dimmers/keypads and they still work flawlessly.  The older C4 controllers cannot receive the newer C4 OS so those would have to be replaced by the newer EA5, EA3, and EA1's to keep the system current to the latest features of Control4.  That does not mean that they have to be replaced if the system is still running fine and no upgrades or changes are needed.  The newer EA series controllers a MUCH better controller to work with and are very quick to respond to changes, reboots, etc.  The quality is just so much better.  Well worth the upgrade even if you're not ready to upgrade the C4 lighing.

I agree on the new line of dimmers and had great luck implementing the majority of fixtures using the Adaptive Phase device for the mass majority of CFL and non driver dependent LED fixtures due to purple like color change during dimming and not being able to dim to 0%. .I just wrapped up a 3 Panel Panelized C4 Lighting Control System with a mixture of adaptive phase and 0-10V modules. All worked out beautiful. Glad you got everything worked out!!  

8 hours ago, Arjay12345 said:

Here are the potentials

if the system has not been updated to zigbee pro then you will be in a bind

you have to use a legacy controller to do the update

so you will need to get another legacy controller if the hc300 is dead. likely just need a power supply. pair all the switches with a legacy controller and update to pro.

once updated to pro they will work fine.

all in all this can take quite some time depending on how many light loads you have and how spread they are. 

benefits of the new switches

better control

better look

better function

better form

dont need to spend time trouble shooting the older gear

warranty

still going to want a new controller in the end the ea series is much better over all but how you get there will be up to you.

For Sure! Embernet (Pre Zigbee Pro) was absolutely horrible; for AMX as well. We were actually the first C4 dealer in MI and have been around for 28 years and have suffered through embernet upgrades.I was suprised on a 10 min fix for a Z-Pro update! We still have a few out there but have roughly 250 C4 Clients..

• 1 year later...
41 minutes ago, Leeper said:

led light in keypad is not working. What needs to be done?

I would suggest starting a new post rather than digging up an ancient thread. Also, you'll need to be a little more specific, what kind of keypad, which LEDs are not working, the status or backlighting?

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.