C4 Forums | Control4

Amazon Music

Just now, twmoonly said:

When did Sonos begin supporting it again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i dont personally use amazon music but i dont think sonos ever lost support for amazon. just control4 lost support from sonos to control the music services directly.

i dont personally use amazon music but i dont think sonos ever lost support for amazon. just control4 lost support from sonos to control the music services directly.

Yeah I forgot about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, twmoonly said:

what about stations?  Do you have direct access them through c4?

Yes - you can browse stations, Amazon's curated playlists, popular music, etc.  But you can't search.  You can set Heos favorites and create Heos playlists, so if you're willing to maintain your playlists in Heos, rather than at Amazon, you'll get playlist functionality. We're not willing to do that because we use the playlists in the car, while running, while travelling, etc.

I bought one of each, so that I could choose which was a better fit for us.

Disclaimer: I haven't spent a ton of time with the Heos, and I may well be using it wrong, but...

Everyone hates the endorsed Sonos driver, and (I think) most people say the Heos is better.  For my family's use case, I disagree.  Heos does give you access to inputs and outputs, while Sonos has locked all of that down, but other than that, there's not a lot separating them.  Basically, Heos can browse music services natively in C4, and Sonos can access Amazon playlists.  

Our use case is this:

• We use Amazon Music exclusively
  • We only use Sonos/Heos as a streaming source, no input or output switching
  • We're mostly going to want to launch playlists, stations, etc.
  • Occasionally, we'll want to search for individual songs

So, we'll launch a playlist or station from favorites, and if we want a specific song, album, etc., we'll go to the app and search for it (or use Alexa, which works with either Sonos or Heos).  With either device, you need to open the Heos/Sonos app to do the searching, and I find the Sonos App much more user friendly.  Throw in the fact that you can't access your Amazon playlists via Heos, and Sonos is the much better choice for us.  With Sonos, we lose the ability to browse native in C4, but we're not likely to browse anyway.  And the input switching is irrelevant to us.

Again, I may not be familiar enough with the Heos app/driver/interface to get the most out of it, but in the end, Sonos's shortcomings were mostly irrelevant to us, and Heos's shortcomings were definitely not.

Archived