C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 vs URC (re: speed, software availability, etc)

I've been using URC for a few years in my house both with Complete Control and now with Total Control, but I've been thinking about switching over to Control4.

Can anybody give me some comparisons between the two systems? 

I've written some software that tests the button latency on the URC Total Control remotes and controllers and it's fairly high (~120ms).  For most users this isn't a problem, but I am hoping to find a system that can send button presses nearly as fast as a keyboard (~16ms).  It really helps with pressing direction buttons rapidly, etc.

Also, can dealers provide you the software (or is it available elsewhere...?) or is it completely off limits?  I've been a software developer for over 10 years (.NET / C# and C++) and have programmed an entire multi-zone house plus I've wrote software for microcontrollers (Arduino, atmega32u4) to create IP-to-USB HID devices, Bluetooth-to-USB, etc.  I only mention this because I understand why URC, C4, and others do not want to provide software to general end-users but hopefully people with reasonable programming experience should hopefully be allowed to DIY.

Composer Pro is available to dealers only and Composer HE is available for purchase. HE gives limited programing capability, but that is better than URC which I believe doesnt give you any software unless your dealer is just in a really good mood. I ripped out a russound CAV6.6 and mx850 system for a custome that lightning killed and insurance cut him a check for. Salesperson sold him was on a Total Control kick and we put that in, I wasn't very impressed with the TCR-1280s, latency and having to reboot them because they are connected but don't actually do anything. Their zone amps are meh, their AVR should never have been made, SNP was meh. I wasnt a huge fan of the way the software rebuilt the source routing macros for all sources when you add a source since the building of the macros need you to go back through them and tweak. For someone doing a fresh install, the price for TC vs C4 is so close that I would go C4. For someone wanting to switch, that is a hefty price but you will likely not look back. Having the GUI flexibility to edit is nice, but C4 has been around much longer and the amount of controllable items reflects it.

9 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

Composer Pro is available to dealers only and Composer HE is available for purchase. HE gives limited programing capability, but that is better than URC which I believe doesnt give you any software unless your dealer is just in a really good mood. I ripped out a russound CAV6.6 and mx850 system for a custome that lightning killed and insurance cut him a check for. Salesperson sold him was on a Total Control kick and we put that in, I wasn't very impressed with the TCR-1280s, latency and having to reboot them because they are connected but don't actually do anything. Their zone amps are meh, their AVR should never have been made, SNP was meh. I wasnt a huge fan of the way the software rebuilt the source routing macros for all sources when you add a source since the building of the macros need you to go back through them and tweak. For someone doing a fresh install, the price for TC vs C4 is so close that I would go C4. For someone wanting to switch, that is a hefty price but you will likely not look back. Having the GUI flexibility to edit is nice, but C4 has been around much longer and the amount of controllable items reflects it.

I was a URC dealer and left for C4.  I was tired of the endless tweaking on programming and the time it took to program the whole thing and then to download to almost all devices once the programming was changed. Before the refresh of the MRX-10N, I had to reboot my controller every 3 days. It was so frustrating... 

I personally loved the graphics, the mobile app, the way the amps share sources via the network without worrying about audio delay, the equipment looks beautiful in the rack and IMHO URC makes the best remote controls (TRC-1080 is the best ever), but you need an extremely solid network for all to work well. I loved that you could easily create a 1-way IP driver if you have the right commands. I still own a MX-900 to program TVs and other devices in Control4. In my opinion URC has the largest set of IR codes for TVs and etc.

C4 has been great for me. It takes very little time to program and the whole thing just works. I like the possibility to let the customer customize the system using HE. Honestly I prefer that way then having to do every little change or customization for them. Most won't change anything, but it is good to offer the option to do it.

I used to hate the remote control, but I got used to it. Very low battery consumption and it does what it is supposed to do. What I don't like about C4 is the lack of *free* 2 way drivers. At least we have options for paid drivers.. so that is not too bad. 

It would be nice to be allowed a little customization of the GUI but I understand the goal of the company - consistency. Everything works in all interfaces and that is nice.

Anyway.. Control4 has been a really good system and very stable. It is nice of get home tired from work and have the system working flawlessly. This is what matters to me nowadays. I am sure you will be happy with the system.

:)

Archived