C4 Forums | Control4

after new remote and taping my IR to the DVR it has a mind of its own

c44me

Anyone seen a Dish VIP 722 change channels and/or fast forward while watching tv all by itself?

Ever since I got the new V3 remote its been doing it randomly while watching tv. Only other thing that has changed was taping the IR emitter down, but its taped vetically.

Ideas?

Anyone seen a Dish VIP 722 change channels and/or fast forward while watching tv all by itself?

Nope, doesn't sound too cool tho.

Ever since I got the new V3 remote its been doing it randomly while watching tv.

You mean the SR-250?

Only other thing that has changed was taping the IR emitter down, but its taped vetically.

Huh?

EDIT:

Acually I have seen Dish receivers change channel by themselves. It was when a neighbor had the same RF code programmed into his remotes. The two houses were controlling each other (funny shiz right there) that's DishNetwork for ya.

DirecTV FTW!

Yes I mean the SR-250. Taping an IR emitter down is common practice to keep it from falling off as they often do.

Thanks thats what I was thinking, but since its running on IR from the HTC I thought there might be some other explanation.

I'm going to guess since it's an HTC in order to add the new remote a software upgrade to 1.6 occurred. I would be very curious to know what the previous version of software was running on the box.

What random codes are sent exactly?

The IR buds we use also have a visual flash. That is, when they emit an IR code they also emit visible light so you know they're working. Do yours have a visible light, and do you see it when these changes happen?

I don't know these DVR boxes, but based on some other comments I am just wondering if it could be that the box is being controlled by IR *and* by RF from someone else?

K&J: randomly while watching tv

dan: HTC has latest version of 1.6. Im not sure which codes, if any are being sent. All I know is that it will either just change channel by itself, or I will see it start to rewind the live tv Im watching.

jbs: I wish I knew. The equipment is racked in my closet behind the viewing position, so I cant visually confirm if the IR is flashing when it happens or not. the *and* sure sounds likely, but that is conjecture unless I can figure out a way to confirm it.

dan: HTC has latest version of 1.6. Im not sure which codes, if any are being sent. All I know is that it will either just change channel by itself, or I will see it start to rewind the live tv Im watching.

jbs: I wish I knew. The equipment is racked in my closet behind the viewing position, so I cant visually confirm if the IR is flashing when it happens or not. the *and* sure sounds likely, but that is conjecture unless I can figure out a way to confirm it.

Ok, here are a few questions for you.

Are you using the 722 in single or dual mode?

Is the HTC the only controller in the project?

Is there any other TS's or remotes in the project?

dan: HTC has latest version of 1.6. Im not sure which codes' date=' if any are being sent. All I know is that it will either just change channel by itself, or I will see it start to rewind the live tv Im watching.

jbs: I wish I knew. The equipment is racked in my closet behind the viewing position, so I cant visually confirm if the IR is flashing when it happens or not. the *and* sure sounds likely, but that is conjecture unless I can figure out a way to confirm it.[/quote']

Dual

Yes

Yes a 2nd (V1) remote in the other room

dan: HTC has latest version of 1.6. Im not sure which codes' date=' if any are being sent. All I know is that it will either just change channel by itself, or I will see it start to rewind the live tv Im watching.

jbs: I wish I knew. The equipment is racked in my closet behind the viewing position, so I cant visually confirm if the IR is flashing when it happens or not. the *and* sure sounds likely, but that is conjecture unless I can figure out a way to confirm it.[/quote']

Dual

Yes

Ok' date=' here are a few questions for you.

Is there any other TS's or remotes in the project?[/quote']

Dual

Yes

Are you watching something from TV2 side when this happens?

We are also Retailers for Dish and DirecTV and I have had 1 other customer where the rx intermittently changed channels or do something.

But. are you sure the other remote is not being used to "play" with you?

I have not seen a case where someone would be watching something and C4 intermittently send a command.

Watch your TV, be sure to try and see if IR Command is being sent from Controller

I'm betting JBS is right. No way C4 would be randomly sending commands... it has to be RF interference from another remote.

You can change the DishNet's RF code rather easily. You'll need the original remote for this.

*Pull up 'system info' in the menu (you should see and RF code in there somewhere)

*Hold down the SAT button at the top until it flashes twice

*press number 4 (or any number other than the one there currently, 4 would be safe (oddball code))

*then press '#' (SAT button at top should flash 3 times)

*Then press the 'record' button, which will store the code and change it in the menu

Dual

Yes

Are you watching something from TV2 side when this happens?

We are also Retailers for Dish and DirecTV and I have had 1 other customer where the rx intermittently changed channels or do something.

But. are you sure the other remote is not being used to "play" with you?

I have not seen a case where someone would be watching something and C4 intermittently send a command.

Watch your TV' date=' be sure to try and see if IR Command is being sent from Controller[/quote']

No, when this happened yesterday I was watching tv while the 2nd was recording. The other remote was in the other room and I am the only 1 here.... promise :)

I'm betting JBS is right. No way C4 would be randomly sending commands... it has to be RF interference from another remote.

You can change the DishNet's RF code rather easily. You'll need the original remote for this.

*Pull up 'system info' in the menu (you should see and RF code in there somewhere)

*Hold down the SAT button at the top until it flashes twice

*press number 4 (or any number other than the one there currently, 4 would be safe (oddball code))

*then press '#' (SAT button at top should flash 3 times)

*Then press the 'record' button, which will store the code and change it in the menu

Seems the most plausible. Thanks for the step_by_step I will give this a shot.

so I went into system setup and can not find an RF channel anywhere? I researched it and cant find anywhere online that enumerates how to change it either.

this has happened 4x since I posted this and now each time I look @ the LCD its showing the DVR in pause/rewind on-screen. really frustrating.

Archived