C4 Forums | Control4

Infinity Edge vs Cheap Android tablet

I am currently having a C4 system installed and am considering purchasing a, now extremely cheap $150ish, Infinity Edge 7" touch screen to mount near the front door and use in place of an alarm panel. Will the Infinity Edge do what I need? Does it use the new alarm interface? Will I lose any features if I choose this over a cheap android tablet (or older iPad)? I plan to buy a portable T3 but wanted to try and save a few bucks on the fixed mounted one. Any experience y'all can share with this would be much appreciated! Thanks!!

Luke

There are pros and cons on both sides.  It also depends on the location and intended use.  For example, I opted for a full size tablet (Ipad) and charging station in the kitchen so it can also be used for looking up recipes or other stuff on the net, chatting via face-time and Skype, messaging and email while cooking, etc....total costs was about same as a C4 panel.  The plus side with the the panel is that they are also more secure given their limited access to only C4 controls.  Tablets either need a screen lock or are left wide open.  This is a trade off between leaving unlocked dives out in the open for visitors to access or having to unlock a screen every time you want to adjust a light or mute a sog when the phone rings, etc...

Also a vote here for touchscreen. Don't underestimate the always on nature of it.

Especially with the plan to use it to disarm the alarm.

Wait for.the WiFi to wake up then wait for the call from the alarm monitoring company.

you are going to loose some  features by using Android device.

1. No custom. screens

2. no anocements

3. Infinity has 4 programmed buttons - you are going to loose them

4. some limitations with programming

Archived