C4 Forums | Control4

Tivo Bolt

twmoonly

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I use a Tivo premier, it sucks a streaming player. maybe the bolt and newer unit play the app much better than mine, but I would use a roku and appletv to stream if that was my motive... How much crap can be shoe horned in a box, I hate combo units! how many tv/dvd, tv.vcr, vcr/dvd lasted a couple years and died?

The Bolt is significantly faster then previous models, especially for the streaming aps.   I wouldn't call it a combo unit (like the old TiVo DVD combo) because the streaming functions are essentially software additions.  Where TiVo makes them shine is with the integrated search feature.  To just search for what you want and see where/when it's available - broadcast, VOD, Netflix, Amazon, etc. - and then to just select the one you want is terrific.

The Bolt actually does what the Premiere originally promised.  If you don't care about unified search, it's not quite as important for C4 users because we don't have to worry about what box to turn on and what input to switch to on the receiver and/or TV as Joe Consumer does when using multiple boxes.  

Personally I use a Tivo premier, it sucks a streaming player. maybe the bolt and newer unit play the app much better than mine, but I would use a roku and appletv to stream if that was my motive... How much crap can be shoe horned in a box, I hate combo units! how many tv/dvd, tv.vcr, vcr/dvd lasted a couple years and died?

I switched from premiere to Roamio a few months ago. With the search on Roamio showing up Netflix and Amazon and VUDU (good paid VOD option) and more it is a single click to the app and the program. The apps are snappy and I use them as often as Roku these days.

Premiere I would cry inside when someone pressed the Netflix option.

Add that the Roamio on also run plex it can really be a single box solution.

Yeah, lifetime makes a big difference in the equation.  I have 3 lifetime Roamios and a Bolt.  Unless the cost of lifetime (or whatever they call it now) is reduced, I don't think I'll upgrade any of the Roamios.

1 hour ago, jfh said:

Only until end of March.  Guessing it's a prelude to the new Pro /line.

What was reduced?  I thought they didn't offer lifetime on the Bolt line?  Have they announced when the Bolt Pro's will be out?  Will it be a 6 tuner like the Roamio Pro?   I couldn't make the jump to Bolt because I was worried about the 4 tuner downgrade, but will definitely upgrade to a Bolt Pro if it has 6 tunes.  Hoping soon. 

What was reduced?  I thought they didn't offer lifetime on the Bolt line?  Have they announced when the Bolt Pro's will be out?  Will it be a 6 tuner like the Roamio Pro?   I couldn't make the jump to Bolt because I was worried about the 4 tuner downgrade, but will definitely upgrade to a Bolt Pro if it has 6 tunes.  Hoping soon. 

I don't see what was reduced. You get the first year bolt service in the price.

You can then buy lifetime for 599 which is the same as another 4 year's service so lifetime payback is at 5 year's.

Roamio pro is still a current line up model.

https://support.tivo.com/articles/Essential_Summary/TiVo-Payment-Plans-and-Policies

11 hours ago, howieumd said:

Lifetime (now called "All In") for the Bolt is $599, but has been reduced to $399 until the end of March.  Not sure if this only applies to new never activated Bolts or if it can replace the existing status (i.e. the included one year service) on an activated one.  However, I would be stunned if there is any announcement of the Pro line in the next 30 days.

However, the 2.8.1 driver does not have the "Back" functionality.  In general this is not an issue as the left arrow functions as a back for all the Tivo menus, the problem is when you're running a streaming service like hulu or youtube.
"Back" needs to be brought back. It's annoying having to exit and renter the apps just to go somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capture.JPG.62172bec181fbc468c1867e4c34632dc.JPG

This back button is not mapped on the new driver. This button is very much needed in streaming apps like VUDU, HuLu, Plex and other streaming apps.

Exit seems to take me back to Live TV

Back button takes you to the previous screen.

tivo_Layout.JPG.590449bea716f5cff8a5f442b6745750.JPG

Exactly which 'back' command are we talking about?  This is the protocol document we're using, and I can't find a 'Back' button in there anywhere...

https://www.tivo.com/assets/images/abouttivo/resources/downloads/brochures/TiVo_TCP_Network_Remote_Control_Protocol.pdf

The driver lets you remap nearly every normally remappable key on the Control4 remote to any command in the document, and it would be trivial to add Back if it existed in the protocol.

I'd *love* to add 'Back' to the current driver, if it's missing something I can add, but I'm not seeing it.

RyanE

RyanE. Your which back button has been answered!

Is it in the driver and which key or IP code.

On 2/26/2016 at 2:35 PM, RyanE said:

Exactly which 'back' command are we talking about?  This is the protocol document we're using, and I can't find a 'Back' button in there anywhere...

https://www.tivo.com/assets/images/abouttivo/resources/downloads/brochures/TiVo_TCP_Network_Remote_Control_Protocol.pdf

The driver lets you remap nearly every normally remappable key on the Control4 remote to any command in the document, and it would be trivial to add Back if it existed in the protocol.

I'd *love* to add 'Back' to the current driver, if it's missing something I can add, but I'm not seeing it.

RyanE

@RyanE.  The code is "BACK".  Here's the line I added to the older 3/4/5 tivo driver to get it to work.  The document you link above is from 2010 which is before the back button was added for the roamio line.

CANCEL	     = "IRCODE BACK",

On 3/2/2016 at 4:32 PM, RyanE said:

No, but Ryan doesn't work for c4forums.

:)

I've got other things I'm on at the moment, haven't had a chance to play with the updated TiVo driver.

Sorry.

RyanE

Any idea when or if this will get scheduled for correction?

• 1 year later...
On 3/7/2016 at 7:18 AM, nebulink said:

Any idea when or if this will get scheduled for correction?

I was searching the forums for exactly this discussion about the BACK button.   I watch a lot HBO, Netflix, and Amazon apps within my Tivo.  It drives me NUTS when i accidentally select the wrong video and I can't press the "BACK" button.  Instead, I have to completely leave the app, go back to the Tivo Menu, and then re-enter the app all again.  It's slow. 

So I bringing this thread back up again in hopes that @RyanE or someone else can help me on this one.  

• 3 months later...
Ever since the upgrade to the hydra interface for the TiVo’s  the stop button in the driver does not seem to work. Anyone else have a similar experience. 
Yeah I think I noticed that too. But haven't attributed it to hydra

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...

Bump.  Please.

TiVo Bolt + using the TiVo (2.8.1) Roamio/Model 3+ driver with a modified date of 5/18/16.

Cannot map the BACK function to any button on the Control4 remote no matter what I do.

Maddening.  Too bad TiVo never followed up with the vaporware SDDP driver for Control4.

Dealer previously had Tivo Series 3/4/5 driver with a modified date of 5/12/14 installed but it had issues of its own including a generic "cable" icon on the Control4 Home Screen instead of the instantly recognizable TiVo icon.  Can't remember if I was ever able to get BACK to work on that driver using Composer HE or not.

Any advice appreciated.  Better yet, someone fix the driver.  PLEASE !!!

Archived