C4 Forums | Control4

• 8 months later...

I have set up the Plex Full driver with a Roku and it is working pretty much perfectly. The only issue is that when I am browsing TV episodes using the Plex Library, on some shows, it shows “No results found” on the final screen, where is should show the Play Now, View Info, Set English Audio and other options. On other shows, it does show those options, and it is working well for movies too.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this?

Also, is there any way for you to allow us to press and hold on any item in the library and favourite it to the room, so we can resume watching our favourite shows directly from the Control4 Home screen?

You'll need to give us remote access so we can troubleshoot. Please submit a ticket to driverCentral and we will assist.

A revamp of the entire driver is on the roadmap so we can get cover art view and favoriting but for now we are a bit snowed under with contracts so its not going to happen for a while.

• 1 year later...

Hi Alan,
I was wondering if we can make this work with the Nvidia Shield and the Plex Mini Driver as the Shield has now an official IP driver.
Still looking for a good solution to show clients  view of Local content on the touchscreen.

Also considering to get a Zappiti player with the driver but they are a bit difficult to come by where we are based (Bali)
Any Plans on doing a similar Driver for Emby?
Emby has become our Media Server Management of Choice 
Best Regards

9 hours ago, swissglobalsolutions said:

Hi Alan,
I was wondering if we can make this work with the Nvidia Shield and the Plex Mini Driver as the Shield has now an official IP driver.
Still looking for a good solution to show clients  view of Local content on the touchscreen.

Also considering to get a Zappiti player with the driver but they are a bit difficult to come by where we are based (Bali)
Any Plans on doing a similar Driver for Emby?
Emby has become our Media Server Management of Choice 
Best Regards

No it won’t work with the shield.

If you want an awesome demo for your customers go either Kaleidescape or Zappiti 

• 10 months later...
On 5/29/2022 at 12:49 AM, Brl said:

I noticed the Plex driver is not available since the site redesign. Will this be available again? 

We removed this driver last year as an API change broke the driver.  Unfortunately we have yet to figure out how to resolve this issue.  As such please consider it discontinued.

6 minutes ago, Brl said:

Can I lend some assistance with the API integration? 

The only thing you can really do for us is provide us with an introduction to the correct people at Plex who we can talk to.  As we would rather create a relationship with a company rather than rely on APIs we have obtained from various sources on the internet and be in the same scenario again in a few years time.

If you do have a contact at Plex please get them to contact us.  Thank you.

• 2 years later...

I know that this is thread necromancy, but I figured I'd ask.

We've got a Shield Pro running in the showroom, and we attempted to use KODI Full for some DEMO material, with direct media access. It would work for a bit, then break for a bit, then work, then break, etc. It's not been reliable enough of a solution for us to count on it when clients are in there. When it works as intended, it's great. Clip starts, lights dim, special LEDs, etc. Super cool. But when it doesn't, and media locks up, or the "network communication won't start" in the software, it's frustrating.

As a backup, we have a Plex server running on our NAS, and we have Plex clients on all of our various players - Shield Pro, Firecube, Firestick, PS5, etc.

The only driver we have is the miniapp direct access to the app, but then it's navigation as usual - not as slick.

Curious if anything ever came out of getting the Plex Full driver working again, as, in practice, we find it to be the superior media player solution?

Again, sorry for playing re-animator, but I figured I'd ask.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, CHAUGGLE said:

I know that this is thread necromancy, but I figured I'd ask.

We've got a Shield Pro running in the showroom, and we attempted to use KODI Full for some DEMO material, with direct media access. It would work for a bit, then break for a bit, then work, then break, etc. It's not been reliable enough of a solution for us to count on it when clients are in there. When it works as intended, it's great. Clip starts, lights dim, special LEDs, etc. Super cool. But when it doesn't, and media locks up, or the "network communication won't start" in the software, it's frustrating.

As a backup, we have a Plex server running on our NAS, and we have Plex clients on all of our various players - Shield Pro, Firecube, Firestick, PS5, etc.

The only driver we have is the miniapp direct access to the app, but then it's navigation as usual - not as slick.

Curious if anything ever came out of getting the Plex Full driver working again, as, in practice, we find it to be the superior media player solution?

Again, sorry for playing re-animator, but I figured I'd ask.

We don't recommend using the Nvidia Shield (or any Android based player) for Kodi as the driver does not know when Kodi is in the foreground or background.  As such it makes for a terrible experience.  You should really go for a dedicated HTPC for Kodi if you want to go down this route.

For Plex the integration broke and we didn't have enough sales to warrant fixing it.  Most of the support queries we were getting were from integrators using it in their showrooms so it just kept increasing our support costs without making us any money.

For media player functionality we highly recommend Kaleidescape though.

It is the highest end media player and customers love the experience.  It is the only way to provide the best movie experience if you want ot create an automated theatre (as it provides feedback on the movie aspect ratio, when movies start, credits roll, etc) and the margin makes it worthwhile for you to sell it unlike all the other media players.  It is actually one of our top selling drivers.

Driver here.

https://chowmain.software/drivers/control4-kaleidescape

Edited by alanchow

Bummer re Plex.  Surprised there are that many Kaleidescape users.  Always struck me as extremely overpriced for something competing with 4K UHD discs/Plex.  Kaleidescape seems like a great play if it can survive long enough to outlast discs.  

Just now, Topspin14m said:

Bummer re Plex.  Surprised there are that many Kaleidescape users.  Always struck me as extremely overpriced for something competing with 4K UHD discs/Plex.  Kaleidescape seems like a great play if it can survive long enough to outlast discs.  

Kaleidescape is the only way to go if you plan on doing an award winning home theatre.  It is the reason why every manufacturer uses it in their demos at CEDIA Expo in their demo rooms.  Blows the competition away in terms of video quality, ease of use and integration.

Note it is not for everyone as not everyone can afford a high end home theatre but if you're going to spend $100k plus on home theatre then it is a must.

21 minutes ago, alanchow said:
Kaleidescape is the only way to go if you plan on doing an award winning home theatre.  It is the reason why every manufacturer uses it in their demos at CEDIA Expo in their demo rooms.  Blows the competition away in terms of video quality, ease of use and integration.
Note it is not for everyone as not everyone can afford a high end home theatre but if you're going to spend $100k plus on home theatre then it is a must.

For that population it makes sense - particularly because people paying $100K want the convenience of a fully baked library ready to go. They are not going to set up Plex. Regarding quality though - there are a lot of technical claims made (and I know there are compression differences), but I’ve never seen a side-by-side test, which makes me highly skeptical that many (or any) people can really tell them apart.

Also Kaleidescape lacks Dolby Vision or HDR10+. That doesn’t matter for projector folks, but it sort of negates any quality advantage for anyone else.

I'm mostly kicking myself for being one of the people who did not install your Plex driver when it was available.  I should have (and I bet there are many others who wish they had now!!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Topspin14m said:

For that population it makes sense - particularly because people paying $100K want the convenience of a fully baked library ready to go. They are not going to set up Plex. Regarding quality though - there are a lot of technical claims made (and I know there are compression differences), but I’ve never seen a side-by-side test, which makes me highly skeptical that many (or any) people can really tell them apart.

Also Kaleidescape lacks Dolby Vision or HDR10+. That doesn’t matter for projector folks, but it sort of negates any quality advantage for anyone else.

I'm mostly kicking myself for being one of the people who did not install your Plex driver when it was available.  I should have (and I bet there are many others who wish they had now!!).

To be honest we have found that over the past 10 years the decline in Kodi and Plex has made it not worth our while any more.  The clientelle on that end of the market just don't utilse their own stored media anymore and just go with streaming services.

The high end on the market though is different as you mentioned.  Automating a theatre to work exactly how a professional theatre works in terms of down lighting, step lighting, star lighting, curtains, etc is just so damn magical.

To be honest we have found that over the past 10 years the decline in Kodi and Plex has made it not worth our while any more.  The clientelle on that end of the market just don't utilse their own stored media anymore and just go with streaming services.
The high end on the market though is different as you mentioned.  Automating a theatre to work exactly how a professional theatre works in terms of down lighting, step lighting, star lighting, curtains, etc is just so damn magical.

I bet another major factor is that the person savvy enough to spend a hundred hours working up a Plex system (let alone the person navigating the world of Kodi with all of its variations) has now gone the DIY route and doesn’t use Control4. Control4 is somewhat for people who either lack time or technical expertise (or both) - which Kaleidescape feeds off of as well. Plex is the opposite of that world.

1 minute ago, Topspin14m said:

I bet another major factor is that the person savvy enough to spend a hundred hours working up a Plex system (let alone the person navigating the world of Kodi with all of its variations) has now gone the DIY route and doesn’t use Control4. Control4 is somewhat for people who either lack time or technical expertise (or both) - which Kaleidescape feeds off of as well. Plex is the opposite of that world.

Not necessarily.  Kodi was our top selling driver about 10 years ago.  Not we sell one every few months.

Times have changed and there are better solutions.

13 hours ago, alanchow said:

Not necessarily.  Kodi was our top selling driver about 10 years ago.  Not we sell one every few months.

Times have changed and there are better solutions.

Well, better is relative, especially when it comes to use case scenario. In our case, we need direct C4 access to video clips for a showroom experience. We not only have a self-guided option in our showroom, but also advisor-guided, and having custom buttons, or physical 'DEMO' buttons was/is the goal for video access.

So, we went with the KODI FULL driver, hoping it would be the way to go. And, when it works, it's great. Keeping the Shield Pro basically AWAKE all the time, and using it ONLY for Kodi has been fairly good.

Hearing that we should've never tried with and Android TV box (of which there are millions in the world) is mildly frustrating, considering the time spent trying to get it to work.

We wouldn't deploy this solution in a client's home - too many moving parts, and requirements of systems, to work flawlessly, like we want.

And, of course, Kalaidescape is a great way to go, as far as purchasing 4K media, having it stored, and playing it back. And, if you're talking about spending $100K in A/V gear only, I can see it as viable. But if you add six Salamander theater chairs to a job, you've added $60K, plus labor. Not much left for a system at that point.

We've got some other options to try in the showroom, and we'll probably end up downloading some more drivers to see about functionality.

And it sounds like an HTPC might be the overall direction we want to head, however, we'll see.