C4 Forums | Control4

how to output sound from smart TV to control4?

I have a H800, Dune3D(media player) and Samsung smart TV. When the Dune plays movie, the video outputs to smart TV and the audio outputs to audio system.

I watch netflix on smart TV but the audio isn't connected to audio system. How can I output the TV audio to audio system through control4? Thanks!

you either use ARC on the HDMI input on the TV or you run optical/digital coax or worse case stereo back from the tv to your audio system.

Thanks for your reply. My TV is in living room and H800/AV Receiver is in garage, so it is quite far. I have two HDMIs from TV to garage, but one is not used yet. Can I just hook the spare HDMI to AV receiver? will it magically output audio to AV receiver?

Thanks for your reply. My TV is in living room and H800/AV Receiver is in garage, so it is quite far. I have two HDMIs from TV to garage, but one is not used yet. Can I just hook the spare HDMI to AV receiver? will it magically output audio to AV receiver?

Your receiver and TV will both need to support ARC (audio return channel) for it to work.

Your receiver and TV will both need to support ARC (audio return channel) for it to work.

Arc is bandwidth constrained though will deal with current Dolby digital of Netflix.

I am quite new to Netflix. Are you talking about streaming box, like Roku or XBox? Does my C4 recogize it?

Yes C4 works great and speedy with Netflix and Roku.

Put a Roku next to the AVR and connect to an HDMI and Cat cable and use the IP driver.

I've done what Alan suggested in the first reply.

I have RG6 cable run to all TV positions, so I used this for digital-coaxial audio out from the TV back to the receiver in the rack.

If I want to watch Netflix, Youtube etc.. I simply choose 'Smart TV' from the watch list.

I found my TV driver did not have all the correct IR codes, so I got them edited to do the right thing and all works fine.

It is a bit of a drag to use the remote as a keyboard though, so I often use the Ipad to search and then play on the TV.

^ Assuming daniel.vancouver means in Canada - FireTV VERY limited here on last check.

Yeah, in Canada.

My AV receiver (Denon AVR 3808CI) doesn't support ARC. I am thining of buying a XBox One, hoping it supports both Nexflix and Youtube. As I mentioned above, my TV and H800/AV Receiver are in two places connecting by a long HDMI, I need to figure out how I could place xbox in garage, but console/kinect in the family where TV mounted on wall. Has anyone done that before?

Unfortunately AFAIK there are no proven working extension cables for Kinict on the Xbox One - thank Microsoft for making that connection proprietary. There's lots of reports of people working on it, but at best you're looking at running a specialized cable.

Unfortunately AFAIK there are no proven working extension cables for Kinict on the Xbox One - thank Microsoft for making that connection proprietary. There's lots of reports of people working on it, but at best you're looking at running a specialized cable.

You can do it, search AVS forum for a thread dedicated to extending Kinect with Xbox One.  But AFAIK no way to do it with ethernet like you can with the proper setup with Kinect for 360.  I've pretty much resigned myself to no Kinect with Xbox One, and at this point its pretty dead anyway.  I don't know of anything exciting in the pipeline that wasn't already released long ago.  I guess some people live or die with the voice integration, but in a theater situation I'm not sure it would have to be in the front of the room for voice integration (I understand that is not the OPs setup).

• 3 months later...

I finally bought XBox one (without Kennect for now) on the Black Friday. I tried to integrate it with C4 800.

I output the AV from XBox one to my AV receiver (Denon AVR 3808CI). I think there is the only thing I need to do as the AV receiver has been outputing video to my smart TV and audio to my speakers for some time.  But I don't see anything on my TV. I suppose I need to configure somewhere using Composer 2.6.0.

Can someone tell me how I configure my XBOX to C4? Thanks!

Archived