C4 Forums | Control4

How to re-label a device?

Vahn

I would cleanly separate unique namespaced device names or GUIDS from labels, so that labels could be modified.

That's not unreasonable by any measure whatsoever.

-V

See my Ehh..Nah comment.  Almost any item in the system exposed to the end-user can be renamed without breaking programming. You CANNOT delete a 'device' and rename it the same an it will work (or assign the old device id for that matter) - but renaming things is NOT a concern. In older versions it could casue some confusion as the programming made wouldn't also cnage the name, but the actual function would remain.

Almost any item in the system exposed to the end-user can be renamed without breaking programming.

I did read the "Ehh, Nah" and figured you were trolling.

To get back on topic, it's not exposed. If we go back to the top that was why I started the thread. I started the thread asking how to rename something (without calling my dealer.)  From that point, it's just a discussion about if they should, or shouldn't, and a little bit of how they should if they did. All in good fun.

-V 

See my Ehh..Nah comment.  Almost any item in the system exposed to the end-user can be renamed without breaking programming. You CANNOT delete a 'device' and rename it the same an it will work (or assign the old device id for that matter) - but renaming things is NOT a concern. In older versions it could casue some confusion as the programming made wouldn't also cnage the name, but the actual function would remain.

How old?  2.5??

I did read the "Ehh, Nah" and figured you were trolling.

To get back on topic, it's not exposed. If we go back to the top that was why I started the thread. I started the thread asking how to rename something (without calling my dealer.)  From that point, it's just a discussion about if they should, or shouldn't, and a little bit of how they should if they did. All in good fun.

-V 

Exposed as in items that the end-user is seeing when using the system, not 'exposed' as in the ability to rename them

How old?  2.5??

2.5 would be over two years old by now - quite 'dated' in tech terms, but no - I'm thinking well farther back than that, at least pre 2.0 (which is five years ago) - sometimes hard to keep track, but I've been doing this since 2005 (fun note, C4 just had the 10 year release marker 2 days ago) and remember updating systems to 1.2.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived