C4 Forums | Control4

Lightning protector

Bullseye

I moved to Florida in june, the first week here, in a thunderstorm, while I was out of the house, 6 new APD dimmers got burnt, 7 light bulbs on some legacy dimmers burned-out. the cable modem stopped working, an apple airport network port got damaged, a Hc-300c network port also got damaged.

I work out of my home and have some expensive machines that were not in the home yet.

Next day I installed some whole home surge protector. I know it is a sacrificial item.

Today another lightning very close by. The 24 port data switch looks like a xmas tree, but seems to be working right.

Should I add a network surge protector?? Any suggestion??

Also, for the electrical part what else could I do to protect everything???

Thanks for your help!!

To protect your network, ground whatever line brings in your internet.

Phoneline, Cable, dish etc.

In the process of a 150k plus redo due to a lightning strike into a dish for internet not being grounded by the provider. Protect your power (lines) all you want but that surge starts to travel across your networked devices....

Every networked device fried - and these days that's about everything.

Talked to fast. The network switch is not working right, time to chamge it, also the network port on a denon avr is gone.

I do have insurance, but still would like to try to avoid more damage.

The workshop pc and machines will be on a isolated network with a wireless network adapter on the pc for internet access..

Still I think its gona be unplugging and disconnecting everything when possible.

Thanks for your recomendations!!

Theres something weird here, I have a second denon in my theater, a x3000, I have full control thru the c4 ip driver, but when I try to play Pandora it indicates "no network conection"

what could be wrong?? Another bad network card????

Just to add...

Airplay dont see it, neither the ios denon app

Static IP?

If so it may be a fried network card unable to transmit, with C4 being able to still send commands to it because it knows the IP and the card is still receiving.

Could try to set to dhcp and see if obtains an IP adress, if so try airplay/pandora again.

Archived