C4 Forums | Control4

NAS Recommendations

smarch

Good afternoon

I'm looking for my first NAS.  Maybe 8tb or so.  I'm not going to be storing anything too vital on it just media.  My music, movies etc.  I run a couple of XBMC (love it) computers so it's mainly for that.  I'm not looking for anything high end.  I just updated my router as per a suggestion on this forum to a Asus N66U, which was considered low end on this forum.  Great Router! (for me) I'm looking for something at this type of level, or a little higher for a NAS. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

QNAP.  But, it's all about the drives.  I prefer to build from the inside-out.

I'm a Synology guy, but Controlfouruserguy is spot on.  Spend the extra money on good drives or you will end up spending more in the long run.   First, ALWAYS make sure the drive is on the compatibility list for the NAS (otherwise if you have issues they may not support you).  Second, do not purchase "green" drives or anything marked as "economical", "for home use", whatever.  Honestly, spend the extra cash to get an enterprise grade drive.  For example, I use the "Seagate Enterprise Capacity" formerly "Seagate Constellation ES.3" drives.  I learned the hard way when I had two drives fail with no hot spare in my RAID set.  Of course, I purchased the "Green" drives which were not meant to be running continuously and constantly serving out movies throughout the house.

Hope this helps.

Oh, also, if you do buy drives off of eBay, that's ok, but make sure they are NEW (not New/Other) but brand new from a reputable seller.

I've been running Synology DS412+ since September 2012 and have no issues whatsoever,  I use it to play simultaneous movie streams, DVR for my motion activated cameras, mac backup, vpn server and a slew of other services.  A bit expensive but its given me peace of mind for the last year and half.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived