C4 Forums | Control4

DSC Alarm programming - having trouble with scrolling of zones

eggzlot... I have a DSC system and my C4 display (iPad) looks like Tokead's with the standard DSC IT-100 driver.   I know the zone names don't get pulled from the DSC panel because the names are slightly different on my DSC panel versus my C4 display.  Pretty sure you just need your dealer to rename the bound sensors in Composer. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Controlfouruserguy - My dealer did say he has not used the DSC prior (my house I purchased was already wired for a DSC panel) - but that said we are 4 months in and we still do not have this feature worked out.

Urbanmark - I'll  explain this to him, but he is telling me Control4 and EV told him the names come from the panel - makes me wonder.

Is this something I can finish off in Composer Home Edition if someone can point me in the right direction?

Someone from C4 and my dealer had a conf call with me last night - they are trying to tell me maybe its the firmware (which is not upgradable) on the DSC Panel.  He said the PC5010 is known to work, but maybe the model I have just has an older firmware, seemed to place the blame on DSC and said it was out of their control.  So they recommended another panel from DSC but stopped short to give me a guarentee it would work - so why would I risk going out and buying it?

Did not really answer why I do not see the zone icons like in the post above, they were talking about debugging reports and this and that, yet by the tech at C4 and my installer forget, I am an END USER and not a programmer or a technician. 

Really makes me think again about some future projects if issues just turn into fingerpointing.

To be clear, the icons as seen in the picture are put in using composer, named by a programmer and connected virtually to the corresponding zones in composer. The ability to see those or not hadnothing to do with the security panel - they have to be put in no matter what panel is used.

Sorry this still seems to be an issue - but it's very possible it's a firmware issue. Do you know when the panel was put in? I maybe able to check a likely firmware then.

Cyknight - thanks for the reply.  I do not know when the panel was put in.  I purchased the house in Oct 2013 and we moved in Dec 2013.  The alarm was done by the previous owner who lived there for 40 years.  I know the panel is not 40 years old, but not sure when she had it put in.

Maybe those icons are in my system and I do not know the proper sub menu to find them - where would I find them on my touch screen?  Is there any benefit to visually seeing them in the touchscreen?  If I saw the icon, what could I do?  Its a nice visual to see them all, but what use is it? 

The only benefit of seeing them is seeing them. That said this sensors need to be added also to trigger programming specific to each zone (motion for lighting for instance). You would find them under more--motors/sensors. I'll check a much older install later today, see if I get zone name feedback within control4 - this one would be near 8 years old, before we switched to concord4 for some time.

When I go to Motors/Sensors I only see our garage doors and 2 entry doors with kwikset locks.  I do not see window sensors, motion sensors, water bugs, door sensors, etc.  I have 3 entry doors with sensors, 2 motion sensors, 2 carbons, fire, 3 glass breaks and all windows have sensors too.  None are listed in Motion/Sensors, but if there is no use for them that is fine.  Ideally one of the motions I want to incorporate with lighting (its a hallway so late at night if motion sensors a person have the hallway lights go on dimly to help sight walking to bathroom, kitchen, etc).  For that i'd need the sensor to show in that area - that is what you are saying?  So for now, I guess I am fine.

So I cannot see them, but I can rest assured they function?  We did put the alarm in test mode and tripped a few zones (windows and doors) and I did get a text with the specific name of the zone that was tripped, the alarm did sound in the house, etc. 

And thanks for checking an older install, I appreciate it.  It will be too expensive (and not much of a pay off) to switch to a different alarm system.  Another DSC panel would be a smaller investment and I could maybe see the zones on the touchscreens but even that they stopped short to promise me it would work.

I checked that install using one of the older models/firmware of the ict-100 capable ones, and indeed, there, even after installing the expansion driver, the zone-names aren't displayed in the virtual keypad - so as such the firmware issue may indeed be the problem here.

Thanks Cyknight

looks like I need to look into upgrading the DSC panel.  Would I gain any extra features, or just the ability for the virtual keypad to show the zone names on the C4 touchscreen?  Need to see if the cost is worth the feature, if there are other features, it makes the upgrade cost more interesting.

From a Control4 system perspective, I do not see you seeing any specific (other) benefits with an upgrade of the board. From a security system perspective, there may be some if you're looking to expand and/or replace outdated devices, though one would have to make a very specific check on your current board's firmware to know that for sure.

Cy - much appreciated, very clear and to the point.  Thank you

I'll speak to my alarm guy (different from my installer) to get his point of view.  I know when he came into look at the set up he said it was in fine working order and no need to upgrade.  If I want this feature, I may have to upgrade, so I'll see what cost is involved.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

So reviving an old thread just because the problem was finally solved.  We upgraded the panel from the 5010 to the 1864 and that still did not help.  It was then suggested to us to replace one of the alphanumeric DSC keypads with a new DSC keypad.  So now we had a new panel, 3 old keypads and 1 new alphanumeric keypad.  that new keypad was able to properly broadcast the signal, so I can now scroll zones and see the zone label on my C4 touchscreen.

So reviving an old thread just because the problem was finally solved.  We upgraded the panel from the 5010 to the 1864 and that still did not help.  It was then suggested to us to replace one of the alphanumeric DSC keypads with a new DSC keypad.  So now we had a new panel, 3 old keypads and 1 new alphanumeric keypad.  that new keypad was able to properly broadcast the signal, so I can now scroll zones and see the zone label on my C4 touchscreen.

My guess is when you changed boards, you told install guy to custom-name the zones??  That's the only way I could see this as a fix. 

^Right, that's what I thought.  My alarm guy never bothered to rename the zones here.  So, it's nothing to do with the board rev., IT100 or Control4.  Were you not running PowerSeries keypads before the swap?

I am not sure of the model, there was no label on it.  

http://www.dsc.com/index.php?n=products&o=view&id=6

That looks like it, except mine does not say MAXSYS.  But it is black with a white fliip down cover, etc.

And this is the new one: 

http://www.dsc.com/index.php?n=products&o=view&id=1278

I have a photo of my old one, but I am having a brain fart and cannot figure out how to post a photo here (though I've done it before)

If you have a newer board/keypad and just need to type in the zone names, I can help, but you need your installer's code.  Do you have it?

^Of course not- I dumped my lame monitoring co. about three months in after they failed to notify me of a breach.  We complain about C4's lock-down (CPro issue) but the alarm people are worse...  It doesn't matter- $60 for a new board and back in business with my own programming.

Archived