C4 Forums | Control4

Mosquito System

therodog

So I don't know if I'd consider this "pushing the envelope" but it'd be cool.

Has anyone tried getting their mosquito spraying system connected to Control4? As it stands now, my system works off a timer and we have an RF remote we can use to fire off some extra spray when we know we're going to be outside. I'd be nice to be able to use my keypads or touchscreens to be able to do what the remote currently does.

What would be involved in this kind of thing?

So I don't know if I'd consider this "pushing the envelope" but it'd be cool.

Has anyone tried getting their mosquito spraying system connected to Control4? As it stands now, my system works off a timer and we have an RF remote we can use to fire off some extra spray when we know we're going to be outside. I'd be nice to be able to use my keypads or touchscreens to be able to do what the remote currently does.

What would be involved in this kind of thing?

I've got my mosquito mister hooked into my control4 system with a contact switch.

Dry contact. Contact switch. OK, so this doesn't seem too difficult, and obviously, someone else has done it. I know this is a stupid question, but how would I figure out if my system has a dry contact?

Personally I would not recommend any of these systems for anyone especially if you have kids or have a vegetable garden. The most widely used active ingredient is pyrethrin which is an extract of the chrysanthemum. However just because the ingredient is from a natural source does not mean its safe as many natural plant extracts are poisonous. They also add man made chemicals to make this more effective.

Don't we put enough hazardous chemicals into the atmosphere already?

Personally I would not recommend any of these systems for anyone especially if you have kids or have a vegetable garden. The most widely used active ingredient is pyrethrin which is an extract of the chrysanthemum. However just because the ingredient is from a natural source does not mean its safe as many natural plant extracts are poisonous. They also add man made chemicals to make this more effective.

Don't we put enough hazardous chemicals into the atmosphere already?

Woooah.... Hey Al Gore!

Really!?!?!?!? I didn't see anyone ask for an opinion on environmental matters. You're like the guy who walks into the room and says something dumb that stops the conversation and results in everyone walking away feeling awkward. I would encourage you to bring your city butt down to Texas and contract West Nile. Then we'll see how you feel about flower extract.

DUMB

Well golly, I never thought of West Nile because we don't got that here in the big city. Hey gomer pyle we have west Nile in New York too. Oh and if ya didn't know New York is a State and even has rural areas.

I'm the furthest thing from Al Gore but I personally don't like to poison myself or my family all so I can sit outside more comfortably. It's not about giving opinions it's about discussion and making sure people know risks and benefits involved with things. It's about being as educated as possible. See, marketers like to play this little game. They use a word like "natural" to make people believe something is harmless or safe. Many people believe that everyone is honest and thus do no research beyond why a company or person tells them. Ebola is natural but there is nothing safe about it.

Silence is not golden. Silence is the enemy of change.

Archived