C4 Forums | Control4

Design of new system

oneplatinum

I'm new to the C4 arena and looking at the following for a design.

When I come into a room I do not want a whole bank of switches for controling my lights. In the C4 scenario I am assumming that you must have a C4 dimmer for each bank of lights you want to control. Is there a remote C4 dimming or switching package? I want one 3 or 6 function switch, not a whole bank of switches.

After reading about incandescant loads on these, I'm getting concerned about the durability of the swithes and dimmers to accomidate what I'm looking at in design.

90% of my dimming is with electronic dimming ballasts in flourescent lighting; any problems here?

Where would a person fine installation instructions for C4 units......?

Thanks

The thread you mention about problems with the switches is the first I have read of this issue. I have a couple of places in my house where I have too many lights on the switch (> 8 lights) to properly work a dimmer, so I installed switches and have had absolutley no problems (>6 months). These are very active areas in my house and the ligths are constantly turned on and off all day.

To eliminate a bank of switches, I would recommend installing dimmers in an equipment closet to actually dim the lights and then use 6 button keypads in the room to control the dimmers.

Thanks for the reply......that was what I was figuring on. Would a low voltage switching arrangement work better for just switching inc. lamps as that seems where the problem is... I do not understand why the contacts are not rated for the rating on the device.......

Thanks

The rating on the switch is not incorrect. The rating on the switch indicates that it does *not* support switching incandescents, if you read it.

If you're installing incandescents, use a C4 dimmer. Anything else (except dimmable fluorescents), use a C4 switch.

C4 does not currently have a centralized dimming solution, other than hiding dimmers in an inconspicuous location.

RyanE

Archived