C4 Forums | Control4

Video Server

I need to be able to play different movies in different rooms all at the same time off the same device. I also need it to be able to play the same movie in different rooms but when one person stops the movie in their room it does not stop it in the rest of the house. I have herd of using kaleidoscope, but is their anything else that works well with control 4? :/

I think kaleidoscope is the best option but it is very expensive. It will be cheaper for you to buy a cheap PC (or an xbox 360) for each room and store all your movie files on NAS. The user could then navigate on the PC to the correct file on the NAS and play it. I would look into using X-box Media Center, Windows Media Center, Linux Media Center Edition, or MythTV with the DVD plugin to run as a front end and GUI. You could then program IR codes into each of these devices so the you wouldn't need a mouse and keyboard and could use the c4 remote.

Hey Justin,

We have used a couple of different products. The main product for this would be the kalidescape. There are a couple of lower cost options, but kalidescape is by far the most elegant, and stable.

Every system we build that has a kalidescape the homeowner absolutely loves it. It's just a little pricey.

Archived