C4 Forums | Control4

Doorbell Dilemma

Hi All,

Need some help with a doorbell...

I have the doorbell wired into a Contact Extender in my garage. I ran a 2 conductor from the contact to the doorbell transformer wired it into the Neg and Signal on the Extender, also tried Pos and Signal. It was a lighted DB until I removed the light as I knew it would not work with the light.

Well, neither of those worked...

I then ordered the ELK-930 DB interface and wired that into the mix according to the directions... C4 still does not see the press or release... If I disconnect all the wires from the Transformer all works fine, both with and without the ELK in line.

Below is how everything is wired up...

From the Doorbell button there is a red and white wire going to the actual doorbell on the wall...

From the doorbell on the wall to the transformer is also a red and white.

On the doorbell the red wire from the button is wired into the bell and the white wires are wired together. THe remaining red wire from the bell to the transformer is wired to the transfommer side of the actual doorbell...

Any thoughts or help on this would be great...

• 1 month later...

Tthe ELK-930 gets attached to a contact either on the controller or to a contact switch. There is an installation manual with the C4 door bell kit that Card Access sells. Here is a link to the product at the Card Access web site. There is a PDF of the configuration with a picture of how to wire it up.

http://www.cardaccess-inc.com/inhomeproducts/index.php?a=idp

I know you may not have purchased the Card Access doorbell kit but you have all the parts included in the kit.

The Card Access doorbell instructions only show the output wires (out & neg) from the ELK-930 going into the 1 & 2 terminal connections of the card access contact.

The ELK instructions show the 2 output wires going into a home automation equipement "Input and neg" (Open Collector Output, Max. rating: 12V, 40mA).

The contact terminal on the back of the MC has 3 inputs; +12v, Sig, & GND.

I was trying to figure out which MC input terminals should be used.

Can anyone answer the question on how to hook up the ELK-930 directly to the MC.

The ELk description states:

"It can detect ring activation from one or two doorbell buttons and a single telephone line. It conveniently isolates the voltage and current and produces an open collector (pull to ground) output which can be used to trigger an automation controller, relay, timer, etc."

Since I am not an electrician I am a little confused by the wording:

"it produces an open collector (pull to ground) output which can be used to trigger an automation controller, relay"

I have attached the ELK-930 description and instructions.

I got it working last night:

Connect the output wires from the ELK-930 to the Media controller contact terminal inputs 12+ and Sig. (write down the contact terminal number)

Hooked up the ELK-930 input as follows:

There are 2 wires coming out of the electrical transformer that feeds the doorbell chime and doorbell button. One wire goes to the doorbell chime transformer (on my unit it is the red wire). The other wire goes directly to the lighted doorbell button.

1. Disconnect the red wire on the doorbell transformer. Hook up the right input on the ELK-930 to this input.

2. Connect the left input on the ELK-930 to the red wire that was connected to the transformer.

3. In composer add the doorbell device and bind it to the contact terminal.

4. Refresh composer

When the doorbell is pressed I have the lights flash and scary Halloween music play.

• 2 years later...

Hey MSI,

I'm about to do the same thing with the Elk-930 doorbell...

From the Elk-930 "OUT" you ran it to the "12+" on the C4 controler, and then from the Elk-930 "NEG" you ran it to the "SIG" on the C4 controler?

Did I underrstand that right?

I'm using the HC300...

Thanks ..

David

Has anyone with this setup had any 'phantom' doorbell rings? I set up my ELK-930 about 6 weeks ago, and I've had 2 times in the last 2 weeks where the doorbell announcement has played, but no one has physically pushed the doorbell.

I haven't had any, but mine has only been in for a couple of weeks. We don't get much traffic to the front door, so I will setup a text message everytime the doorbell is pressed. This way I will know if it is firing at inappropriate times. Currently it doesn't do anything unless the house in a certain mode.

I have mine setup to email me a notification when the doorbell is rung. Great for knowing when UPS left that package at the front door or the dry cleaning was delivered...

Yeah, that's true. My wife stays home so she is almost always there to get the door.

Yes to the phantom door bell rings (or phantom announcements) issue with the Elk module attached to HC 300. Mine were so frequent that I had to take out. :(

I am still trying to see if this can be resolved since otherwise, no point. I think someone else also had this issue.

Any insight/input appreciated.

Yes to the phantom door bell rings (or phantom announcements) issue with the Elk module attached to HC 300. Mine were so frequent that I had to take out. :(

I am still trying to see if this can be resolved since otherwise, no point. I think someone else also had this issue.

Any insight/input appreciated.

Hmph, this doesn't sound promising.

I was just getting ready to order an ELK and hook up my doorbell, but FAKE/WRONG rings isn't good at all.

Anyone have one working without the false alarms?!

I had ATT home phone until last week and every day at 8:03 PM it would do something that was enough to register a call to the ELK but the phone never rang, this happened for well over a year till I switched to another phone carrier, now I get indication only when the phone actually rings

I had ATT home phone until last week and every day at 8:03 PM it would do something that was enough to register a call to the ELK but the phone never rang, this happened for well over a year till I switched to another phone carrier, now I get indication only when the phone actually rings

Now that is strange. Did you just program from 8:02 - 8:04 for the ring detector to not do anything?

I had ATT home phone until last week and every day at 8:03 PM it would do something that was enough to register a call to the ELK but the phone never rang' date=' this happened for well over a year till I switched to another phone carrier, now I get indication only when the phone actually rings[/quote']

Now that is strange. Did you just program from 8:02 - 8:04 for the ring detector to not do anything?

Exactly what I did, so if someone called at 8:03 the lights didn't flash in the theater and darn I missed a call

• 2 months later...

Has anyone else had problems with the phantom trigger from the ELK-930 doorbell sensor? I just had it installed and it is signaling the Media controller every 2-5 minutes. The doorbell is not activating, but the MC is seeing a signal. It appears something is not correct with the input signal. I have attached the wiring diagram as I have wired it. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Archived