C4 Forums | Control4

Microsoft Research wants to automate your house, introduces HomeOS

tebery

BTW, I totally agree with you, the ComposerPro custom programming is pretty clunky (cut&paste suck, etc.), and could certainly use a re-write. That's not news to anyone inside or outside of Control4.

I have no doubt it'll happen at some point, but I couldn't say when.

RyanE

yeah, like leds custom colors actually saving from one programming page to the other. I would love to see an update to composer pro. In the mean time tho..... it does the job.

As a MS Employee and Home Automation Enthusiast, I think the main thing being demonstrated is the ease of developing applications in VS. The other thing is that it isn't just Microsoft, Google or Apple, but ISP's like ATTs Digital Live (Built on Microsoft Media Room), Verizon Home Control, Cisco rebranding of C4 devices and others show that this is a growing market. I think the most important is also the Big 3 (Microsoft, Apple and Google) forces more manufactures to add IP, Zigby, and HDBaseT controls to there devices. Hopefully we will all benefit with more Out-of-the-Box control of devices.

Apple is already working on their own version. More to come in the summer, probably out in October. Just speculation, nothing more.

Google is also working on IP based devices as well.

HA will come to the masses, just wait till they require IP controlled CFL or LED light bulbs and the government controls when you can turn them on.

The book 1984 was just a bit early... The future is now. "The Party’s surveillance tactics and technology are so advanced that even the smallest twitch can betray a rebellious spirit."

Ironic when you think it was a bunch of hacker rebels that started these companies, and now they strive to control that rebellious spirit in others.

I guess it would make sense for Apple to purchase a Company like Savant who has did all the work for the iOS platform.

From what I could find out from a few friends... Its currently in beta in about 6 test homes for the last 6 months.

All "development" is done in C# in Visual Studio, so basically the free version of Visual Express "should" work.

No idea what the devices are using to talk to each other, but in theory, gateways could be developed to bridge to zigbee and other HA profiles.

Has a kick ass security model, something that is severely lacking in almost all HA solutions out there. Think Active Directory for the home.

Can use your phone as your key... NFC (near field communications) and/or bluetooth can be used to detect what room you are in and set your preferences from that device.

There is no testing of Kinect integration that is currently being publicly tested, but I am assuming they are working on the voice and hands free navigation on Xbox's and other 3rd party integration.

Cost will be the biggest challenge... From what I can gather, they are looking at various 3rd parties for the devices, light switches/dimmers, cameras, thermostats, etc...

No immediate plans to commercialize, this is just a Microsoft Research project only... Commercialization may happen down the road, but way too many technical and cost barriers exist today for widespread adoption.

My two cents, is Microsoft is ready for the eventually HA push, but doesn't want to be the first of the big three (Apple, Google, Microsoft) and wants to see what new standards might emerge. Apple was one of the firsts with WIFI in a residential and commercial applications, but didn't invent the spec. I suspect Apple will jump in first, maybe this fall and wide spread mass adoption by 2018, if ever.

Kinect Integration has been tested. http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/157701/homeos.pdf (See pg 10.)

I think the most important is also the Big 3 (Microsoft, Apple and Google) forces more manufactures to add IP, Zigby, and HDBaseT controls to there devices. Hopefully we will all benefit with more Out-of-the-Box control of devices.

I totally agree.

At this point, additional interest in home control and energy savings is beneficial overall.

RyanE

Kinect Integration has been tested. http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/157701/homeos.pdf (See pg 10.)

I was only going off what a source of mine told me about public testing, the white paper talks about internal testing, which is all exciting, but the practical usage testing in real world situations hasn't happened.

I'm still stoked for the HomeOS concept to be a reality... Just hope it doesn't turn out to be another Microsoft BOB. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Bob

Good point Dan. Fair enough. Your right. Nobody listens or can do anything about it. Keep forgetting that. Appols. My bad :)

Noone cares to listen to the annoying dude standing on the corner of the street, holding signs, and yelling at the top of his lungs.

Maybe if your forum presence was a bit less confrontational, people would want to listen to your ideas.

I'd never put in a Microsoft HA setup. I don't care how cheap it was

Computer's crashing' date=' and software infected with security breaches and viruses on a PC are one thing[/quote']

You guys still get viruses on Windows? What are you opening in your email/sites do you visit? :P

No. Apple convert and happy and safe with Windows. Cody, why waste your time- he'll argue you up & down on just about everything.

It's going to get more interesting with Verizon, Comcast, AT&T, Microsoft and even some Security Monitoring companies putting their toes in the home automation field.

I'm just hoping for the death of the IR buds :)

^Why? Many folks have a house-full of devices that only accept IR. It would appear that nobody has discovered the IR tent. About VZ, well, you can certainly see that hasn't gone well.

• 2 weeks later...

^Yes, but I'm not a supplier, just a dumb user who already knows how to clone a code. It doesn't get much easier than a beam of light. Serial must not be one of those "better options" is it? That's fairly pokey...

• 2 weeks later...
It's going to get more interesting with Verizon, Comcast, AT&T, Microsoft and even some Security Monitoring companies putting their toes in the home automation field.

I'm just hoping for the death of the IR buds :)

There's Honda http://www.tgdaily.com/sustainability-features/63325-honda-house-goes-off-grid-smartly and Apple http://www.technologytell.com/hometech/86111/could-apples-itv-be-more-home-automation-than-home-entertainment/

With all the game console (Microsoft's Smart Glass for X-Box 360, PS3 and the Wii U) announcements at E3 about the companies wanting their boxes to be the go to system for everything, they'll start moving in other areas.

• 1 month later...
And another thread down the "Control4 needs to change their model" path. Not that I don't agree with some of it, but this is getting old.

Hilarious! Yep, very old: I've been away for about a year until today and this is one of the first few threads I've read today; only because I was searching for "security system" and it came up in the results.

It's funny to see how some things never change. Looking forward to finding some actual good stuff I've missed.

• 1 month later...
Let me know if there is anything important in that 10 minute video.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/30/microsoft-research-home-automation-homeOS/

I love the "vision" of this video. You can draw parallels between the ease of use of an smart device and blow it up to the scale of whole house control. Some how the components of the system have to be plug in play for this concept to work.

I was at a house the other day with a Crestron system and there was a cable remote and a tv remote sitting next to the expensive touch screen display. Freaking hillarious.

I was at a house the other day with a Crestron system and there was a cable remote and a tv remote sitting next to the expensive touch screen display. Freaking hillarious.

Probably because they replaced the cable box and TV and didn't want to pay $200-$500 to have crestron come out and integrate those changed devices.

May have been lucky if it was only $200-500 I read on a private forum the other day about a DVD being Changed to a Bly-Ray player on a Yacht with crestron and the price quoted. Including supply, custom shelves etc, design, programming and installation was just over $9000

Archived