C4 Forums | Control4

Room Audio question

that would be close..but just cause the room is on..doesn't mean that audio is playing out the speakers int he room...

If you only have audio sources' date=' then yes, it does mean that audio is playing out of the speakers.

The only time this wouldn't mean that audio is playing is if you have video sources local in the room that don't connect through the speakers in the ceiling.[/quote']

Which i do...for example, my TV's

that would be close..but just cause the room is on..doesn't mean that audio is playing out the speakers int he room...

I am having a hard time figuring out what your struggle is here. Also, frankly it doesn't matter where the audio is coming from...as long as Control4 has control of the device playing the audio (TV, AVR, etc...) it can adjust the volume. Just have the keypad send the VOLUME UP or VOLUME DOWN command to the room.

I'm struggling to understand why you feel like this is so complicated. If you want the keypad to do volume control, have it do volume control. Who care's whether it's the in ceiling speakers or not. I use numerous 6 button keypads for this very purpose. Sometimes it's the TV, sometimes it's an AVR and sometimes it's a Control4 amp. It really doesn't matter...the programming is the same. VOLUME UP/VOLUME DOWN.

If you only have audio sources' date=' then yes, it does mean that audio is playing out of the speakers.

The only time this wouldn't mean that audio is playing is if you have video sources local in the room that don't connect through the speakers in the ceiling.[/quote']

Which i do...for example, my TV's

Edit.... Please see my post above.

You're trying to complicate things too much.

I am having a hard time figuring out what your struggle is here. Also' date=' frankly it doesn't matter where the audio is coming from...as long as Control4 has control of the device playing the audio (TV, AVR, etc...) it can adjust the volume. Just have the keypad send the VOLUME UP or VOLUME DOWN command to the room.

I'm struggling to understand why you feel like this is so complicated. If you want the keypad to do volume control, have it do volume control. Who care's whether it's the in ceiling speakers or not. I use numerous 6 button keypads for this very purpose. Sometimes it's the TV, sometimes it's an AVR and sometimes it's a Control4 amp. It really doesn't matter...the programming is the same. VOLUME UP/VOLUME DOWN.[/quote']

Dan, I like that approach. Ok, sorry to be so stubborn. Thanks for helping me wrap my head around this.

I am having a hard time figuring out what your struggle is here. Also' date=' frankly it doesn't matter where the audio is coming from...as long as Control4 has control of the device playing the audio (TV, AVR, etc...) it can adjust the volume. Just have the keypad send the VOLUME UP or VOLUME DOWN command to the room.

I'm struggling to understand why you feel like this is so complicated. If you want the keypad to do volume control, have it do volume control. Who care's whether it's the in ceiling speakers or not. I use numerous 6 button keypads for this very purpose. Sometimes it's the TV, sometimes it's an AVR and sometimes it's a Control4 amp. It really doesn't matter...the programming is the same. VOLUME UP/VOLUME DOWN.[/quote']

Dan, I like that approach. Ok, sorry to be so stubborn. Thanks for helping me wrap my head around this.

You're not being stubborn...we're all learning here.

Sorry if I came across rude.

Hopefully what I said makes sense. If you need any further help let me know. I have a writeup on how to do this on my blog.

This is the old way that ILC4 documented. I swear I saw a new function under 2.2 that tracks sources.

It's not new for 2.2...it has been around for a while. It's a variable under + for the ROOM...not the source or the AMP' date=' but the ROOM.[/quote']

I doubt CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE under ROOM VARIABLES is going to get our OP where he needs to be but thanks.

so I only have this half right..I have the LED's on color changing to green when the room powers on but after I use them for volume control 1x they return the standard blue. Where should I be rechecking for this state?

so I only have this half right..I have the LED's on color changing to green when the room powers on but after I use them for volume control 1x they return the standard blue. Where should I be rechecking for this state?

uncheck keypad managed in system design on the keypad button.

Archived