C4 Forums | Control4

Sony 8x12 (cav-cvs12es) Discontinued!

I just heard that the Sony switch we have been planning for our install has been discontinued. It is the last component needed to complete my install. I have 7 video zones planned for immediate use and 2 more (kids rooms) wired for future expansion.

My integrator has suggested we go with either the Russound 8x8 VM1 8U2 (same cost) or the NeoPro Integrator Delano 8x16 ($1200 up charge). With the Russound I would have to upgrade later if I decide to use the 2 additional zones.

1. Anyone out there have the Sony switch in stock?

2. Any input (good/bad) on the Russound or NeoPro?

3. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Paul

Component video is near end-of-life and there are links on this site that discuss this fact. I would explore HDMI distribution or anything that has a better future than component video. Look into HDMI video distribution over CAT6 or fiber.

Bluray players are going to eventually drop component video, but not so sure about anything else.

If you want to go HDMI it's going to cost about 2-3 times more.

If you go HDMI though you will get 1080p and 3D capability, depending on the switch.

Are you already wired? Cat5? Cat6?

I just heard that the Sony switch we have been planning for our install has been discontinued. It is the last component needed to complete my install. I have 7 video zones planned for immediate use and 2 more (kids rooms) wired for future expansion.

Paul

Consider yourself lucky, Though HDMI might be more expensive it will be well worth it now and down the road. My .02 cents

Bluray players are going to eventually drop component video, but not so sure about anything else.

If you want to go HDMI it's going to cost about 2-3 times more.

If you go HDMI though you will get 1080p and 3D capability, depending on the switch.

Are you already wired? Cat5? Cat6?

It's not 2-3 times more...that Sony switch he was buying is far from cheap and he should be able to get a good HDMI switch that's less than 2-3 times the cost.

Using that switch, you probably have a pair of CAT cable as your prewire, which will leave you with nearly endless options.

Bluray players have ALREADY dropped component video, and most TV's don't have any component input anymore...and if they do, it's only 1.

Thanks for the replies!

Sounds like consensus is to go with a HDMI switch. Anyone have any recommendations as to which one? How much will it cost? PMy integrator says hdmi switching is very flaky and difficult to integrate. Any thoughts on stability?

I currently have 3 cat 5e to each tv location. I asked about cat 6 during the install plan and my dealer said it was unnecessary...mistake?

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies!

Sounds like consensus is to go with a HDMI switch. Anyone have any recommendations as to which one? How much will it cost? PMy integrator says hdmi switching is very flaky and difficult to integrate. Any thoughts on stability?

I currently have 3 cat 5e to each tv location. I asked about cat 6 during the install plan and my dealer said it was unnecessary...mistake?

Thanks!

I have the Just Add Power 1G solution and while the quality is not as good as a direct HDMI-to-HDMI connection it is very watchable. I'd imagine that the JAP 2G stuff should provide a significantly better experience. The HDCP handshake process is probably a nightmare in any distributed/matrix scenario, but it is not enough of a pain to eliminate HDMI distribution as a viable solution.

Oh, CAT 5e will work just as well as CAT6

Thanks!

Depends on how far you are going. What is your longest cable run? Cat5e should be OK, but Cat6 is better when it comes to HDMI, and there are specialty types like low-skew CATx cable too that help somewhat.

i think he drives a benz...

I won't comment on that further then to say that clearly the guy had no problem paying a premium for what he feels is a superior product.

Hit him with the facts and let him decide.

Archived