C4 Forums | Control4

Ready for a media player - need advice

Well one of my Sony 777 player is about dead, so now is the time to make the jump to a media player.

The question is which one: Netgear or DUNE?

I currently have a ReadyNAS NV+ with 2 1tb drives (which are 70% full with pictures and digital audio) and 2 empty bays.

I would assume I would need another NAS, should I go six bay or more? Any recommendations?

Is it possible to stream audio and video directly to an iDevice (aside from itunes and without a slingplayer)?

Thanks!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^You don't need another NAS, just buy four 2TB drives from Newegg for ~$350 total, and you're off to the races with 6TB usable....which should last plenty long.

I am wanting to upgrade my media player from the EVA9150, and am currently in a quandry about what to buy. I may check out the ATV 2 w/ XBMC as suggested, I just hate Apple products. The Dune seems to be the most solid in terms of playing back any type of media, but I don't know how it does for viewing photos, YouTube, etc... The Netgear does those other thins well, but it doesn't seem to handle as many file types.

Decisions decisions.

xc420, tell me more about the ATV 2 with XBMC. Does it play 1080P? Bluray ISO? Does XBMC allow for photo browsing, etc...? I am unfamiliar with XBMC. My thing is this: my family uses it 90% of the time when I am not at home. I need something that will work after the initial setup, with almost no maintenance. That is the big motivator behind me scrapping the EVA9150...it needs to be rebooted about once every month or so, and my family doesn't know how or want to know how to do that....they just want it to work.

My thing is this: my family uses it 90% of the time when I am not at home. I need something that will work after the initial setup, with almost no maintenance. .

Exactly my situation. The physical disc setup with the Sony 777 was rock solid for 7 years now (used them with Escient before C4). But I am not going to spend the money on their blu ray 400 disc player.

tebery please use a usb drive and back up your readynas if you haven't yet. You can schedule a backup and leave 1 or 2 usb drives hooked up. I've had a few ready nas's get a corrupt boot error and the only way to fix is reflash and loose data. This is very rare but family photo's are priceless.

The hard drive size should exceed your the size of your data. You can backup all or part of the nas and leave a usb drive hooked up and have it back up every night if needed. I would back up anything that you can't replace first then if you have room everything else. Re ripping is a pain but possible, losing photos of the kids will get you a first class ticket to the couch for weeks.

On the readynas open RAIDar then go to setup, login then go to backup. Its from the nas and to the usb port you select.

The hard drive size should exceed your the size of your data. You can backup all or part of the nas and leave a usb drive hooked up and have it back up every night if needed. I would back up anything that you can't replace first then if you have room everything else. Re ripping is a pain but possible, losing photos of the kids will get you a first class ticket to the couch for weeks.

On the readynas open RAIDar then go to setup, login then go to backup. Its from the nas and to the usb port you select.

I've got a few TB of data, so backing up to my 500GB drive won't work. Maybe I should look in to Carbonite or something.

I have a 4 drive 8tb NAS in RAID5. To back it up I'm cosidering buying another set of hard drives and using the StarTech SATDOCK22RE Hard Drive Duplicator Dock. I would copy all my drives, label the order they went in a came out of the NAS and take them to a friend house every 2 months or so. I've seen the drive cloner in action at work and it seems to work really well. The problem I had when looking at the online storage was upload time and cost of storing large amounts of data over long periods of time. I'm assuming this will work but has anyone else tried this method?

Offsite data storage is expensive and takes a long time to upload.

Just backup your pertinent files to an offsite location, and just keep trust in the RAID setup for all your movies, etc. Do you have any friends with extensive digital collections? If you do a swap, then they will have your files and vice versa, mitigates your risk.

Previously used Mozy, which is owned by EMC, that cost $5/month for unlimited..... so I uploaded about 200 gig which took about 2 months, and then last month, got an email saying not only was the price going up to $10/month, but there was also a cap. Now I'm leery that anyone I go to will do the same thing shortly as someone is going to get a ton of Mozy users.

Long and short is that an External drive stored at different location (work/friend/family, etc)is probably best solution for backing up media. Jut update it on a regular basis, and you'll be better off.

Here's an article covering offsite solutions:

http://lifehacker.com/#!5749845/the-best-alternatives-to-mozy-for-big-or-unlimited-backups

Definitely a dune. It works great with c4 coverart or you can use mymovies which changes the look.

I installed a dune duo with (2) 2t drives about a monrh ago. I have nothing but great things to say about the set up.

Tebery - from reading these boards, it sounds like the dune is the way to go, and I had planned on getting a Dune when I heard they would eventually be compatible with c4. now that time has passed and the dunes work with c4, i've gotten very spoiled with xbmc's gui along with the cinema experience script for the theater and can't bring myself to get a dune. now i'm waiting to see if a company releases a stand-alone player (similar to the dune) that just runs xbmc as this would be low-power and low hassle. I have a second htpc running xbmc that is distributed to the rest of the house and I suppose I could get a dune to replace that htpc. Does anyone know the power consumption of a dune that just streams the movies and lacks the blu ray drive? I think its an h1?

also, for those running my movies, has the software progressed a lot since version 2? I used to run that software with a pc via windows media center/xbox360 but it was very laggy. and still, compared to the gui of xbmc, it was sorely lacking.

regarding someone's earlier question about atv2 running xbmc, you don't get 1080p last time I checked. I think it downconverts 1080p material to 720p but don't quote me on that. If it could and do it reliably, I'd get one in a heartbeat as its serious low power.

thx,

tum

So I am thinking of finally getting a NTV 550 and a NAS server. I am not sure though on which NAS server to get. The Netgear NV+ is reasonably priced, supports 4 drives. However, it is now an older model, I believe. My alternative was the Synology RS411 which is rack-mountable and also has additional support for my cameras. Synology has a pretty nice interface too.

I'll check on which of these support 3TB drives for future upgrades. I plan to get 2TB drives for now.

Archived