C4 Forums | Control4

DUNE/C4 Dealer ***Diamond Design*** - THUMBS UP!!!

Hi Guys.......felt compelled to give a BIG thumbs up to James @ DiamondDesign for his help, knowledge and assistance getting me setup with my Dune, C4 driver, on and on.

Can't wait to sit back and watch some movies this weekend via my new Dune Max controlled via my C4 remote.......YESSS!!

Anyone out here looking for a Dune/C4 dealer I HIGHLY recommend James at DiamondDesign.(link below).

Thanks again James for all your help!

http://diamondhomedesign.com/index3.html

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks John!

Wanted to give everyone a Dune update as I promised to do from time to time. With the release of the latest firmware, the ability to use internal flash memory (ie ram) to perk up performance is now available. The MAX and Duo have tons of ram and the new firmware turns that on by default for those. With the Smarts, you have to go in and turn it on. See below:

"Flash Memory Storage

Dune player models based on Sigma Designs 864x/865x platforms, starting with firmware version 110127_2105_beta, have support for so called "Flash Memory Storage". Flash Memory Storage is an area of the main flash memory that can be used to store data instead of System Storage in some cases.

In firmware version 110127_2105_beta, Flash Memory Storage can be used to store the following data:

Data cache for applications based on "dune_folder.txt" mechanism."

Good news for all owners and especially the 17" models.

With regard to the dd driver, I expect the final version will C4 library support will be out soon and when it releases there will be another change in that the stop button will no longer go to "black." Both my driver and the EV driver do this based on advice we received from the factory but so far users and dealers do not like it and frankly it sux. Stop will take you to the disc menu on my driver in the final release. In the mean time, if your player gets stuck in Black mode, you can use your red or green buttons to go to either the disc/top menu or the main setup menu.

If you have a B1 or Max, you may want to ask your dealer to switch the default Yellow button from subtitles to open/close for the disc tray as C4 remotes do not have open/close. That change can be made at the dealer level (or by me for those that I'm doing remote installs for).

Finally, for the 17" crowd (i.e. Max and Duo) my custom rack shelf is under way. It is 2U and custom cut for the units like a Middle Atlantic RSH model.

Have to agree. I got my D1 with 2tb drive, and it's up and running. Since the C4 integration doesn't yet include the movies, I'm looking at implementing My Movies. I've got it "mostly" working, but I've got a question for those using it that I can't seem to figure out.

I'm trying to get the "My Movies" icon on the main page so my wife doesn't have to hunt for the movies. I put my index on the internal drive in the Dune, and I can navigate the "Hard Disk" menu to get to my movies and everything works. But I can't get the thing onto the main page. I've tried the "create shortcut on main page", the "copy/paste", everything I can think of.

So, can someone explain to me how I get the stupid My Movies icon and link onto the main page of the dune?

Have to agree. I got my D1 with 2tb drive, and it's up and running. Since the C4 integration doesn't yet include the movies, I'm looking at implementing My Movies. I've got it "mostly" working, but I've got a question for those using it that I can't seem to figure out.

I'm trying to get the "My Movies" icon on the main page so my wife doesn't have to hunt for the movies. I put my index on the internal drive in the Dune, and I can navigate the "Hard Disk" menu to get to my movies and everything works. But I can't get the thing onto the main page. I've tried the "create shortcut on main page", the "copy/paste", everything I can think of.

So, can someone explain to me how I get the stupid My Movies icon and link onto the main page of the dune?

You need to add a permanent usb storage drive to your dune to accomplish the shortcut. There should be some instructions on AVS how to add the usb as a permanent storage drive.

Ok, thanks. It appeared that this might be the case, but I was hoping otherwise.

Since you can't "see" the USB drive from the network, does that mean that the only way to update movies the dune can see is to pull the USB, pop it into the PC, re-index, then move it back?

Thanks.

Michell, (and everyone else):

You can install a small USB stick on the inside of the dune. I'm buying a bunch of small ones that will fit and will have them soon. There is an internal USB slot under your hard drive I installed for you. Its hard to find but its in there!

No difference from the external one except that you won't have it sticking out of the back. Go for 4gb or 8gb FYI.

The "how do I stick a USB in" part I get. I'm clearly having issues communicating :). Right now I'm having two challanges:

- I'm trying to figure out the actual mechanics (the process) for getting whatever file I need to onto the USB stick, whatever else I need wherever else I need it to make this work :).

- I'm also having a problem using the internal drive. Setting up MyMovies so that it uses a SMB share to access the movies is apparantly causing a slowdown that's making everything stutter. if I access the HDD directly using the dune menu, I get no stutter. What's the "right" way to access files on the internal HDD?

The "how do I stick a USB in" part I get. I'm clearly having issues communicating :). Right now I'm having two challanges:
- I'm trying to figure out the actual mechanics (the process) for getting whatever file I need to onto the USB stick, whatever else I need wherever else I need it to make this work :).

Easiest thing that worked for me is place an empty USB drive into Dune and format it and just leave it be, this will be your flash storage

Take another USB drive, copy whatever file you want from your PC to the drive then insert the drive into another USB slot in Dune and execute file

This link below will give you the latest file for storage, etc

http://store.duneplayer.com/shop/custom.aspx?recid=2

- I'm also having a problem using the internal drive. Setting up MyMovies so that it uses a SMB share to access the movies is apparantly causing a slowdown that's making everything stutter. if I access the HDD directly using the dune menu, I get no stutter. What's the "right" way to access files on the internal HDD?

Cannot answer this as I do not use an internal HDD

Running all movies via 2 NAS units

Another update. I can't take credit for this as it wasn't my idea but a customer called in and asked us to make a custom rackshelf like we are for the 17" units (Duo, Max, 3.0s) but for 2 of the smaller units. Its a good idea so we are also going to start that process. It will hold any combination of the smaller units side by side but with a small space in-between them, i.e., 2 H1s, 1 B1 and 1H1, etc. etc. The space in-between wouldn't be air but faceplate.

Obviously that gives you rackmountability of you only buy 1 but you'd have a hole on one side or the other.

Another update. I can't take credit for this as it wasn't my idea but a customer called in and asked us to make a custom rackshelf like we are for the 17" units (Duo, Max, 3.0s) but for 2 of the smaller units. Its a good idea so we are also going to start that process. It will hold any combination of the smaller units side by side but with a small space in-between them, i.e., 2 H1s, 1 B1 and 1H1, etc. etc. The space in-between wouldn't be air but faceplate.

Obviously that gives you rackmountability of you only buy 1 but you'd have a hole on one side or the other.

Awesome sauce! I was thinking about that this weekend actually. Count me in on one of those babies.

If you are buying a hard drive you may wait a few days. I have 20 on the way that will be on the site for DIY and its the same model that I put in them. I also have 100 USB sticks that are PICO size (very small) to fit on the inside of the players and 15 4gb SSD hard drives (the Ferrari of the setup which allows you to use very high speed flash memory that never goes to sleep unlike a regular HDD for your system storage) all on the way. The SSD is internal like the HDD but never goes to sleep. The USB stick never goes to sleep but its throughput is nothing close to the SSD.

Jayhawk, I've got 2 people so far going to buy your rackshelf idea so you get 2cents of any future order :)

Spoke with James@diamond design and ordered my Dune MAX on Tuesday and it was delivered on Thursday with the C4 IP driver loaded. Very knowledgeable dude and very pleasant to talk too. Very fast shipper. It only took about 5 minute to set it up. The Dune discovered my Ready NAS Pro immediately and we were watching a Blu Ray movie 10 minutes later.

Felix

I also used James to purchase a Dune Duo. It was a very easy purchase with fast delivery. Got my Duo with two 2 tb drives installed and configured by James. Got it installed and working in less than 10 minutes. The driver works great. The best testimonial is that the wife loves the setup and has given me the ok to purchase a nas to store our movies. James is helping me with this purchase as well.

If you need a Dune or or an nas give James a call!!! Thanks for your help James.

Todd

OK, so after about 50 drivers out there I've had about 20% or 10 with issues that have all been fixed but I wanted to mention the proper setup to try if you are having any issues:

#1 problem is no IP firmware. If you get the player and choose automatic update of firmware, you will not get the IP firmware and if you have it, you will lose it. Do not use that service until the IP firmware goes from beta to general release. Instead, download the latest from here

http://dune-hd.com/firmware/

Place it on an EMPTY usb stick. Rename the file dune_firmware (leave the file extension). Turn the dune off and turn off power in the back. Put in the stick, boot it up and it will flash it for you. When its done, power down and remove the stick for good and enjoy.

#2 is no screen on first power up. This is in the manual but its due to it shipping in euro mode. Just press the "mode" button on the DUNE remote about 5 times to get to 720p and then you can change it from there as you want.

#3 is bad IP address issues. That was the problem that the OP had and a few others. If the above doesn't work, set the static IP address at the router, not the Dune (or do both if you want just make it the same). You shouldn't have to do it but this is a good fix if you still have issues. Off topic, when I do installs, I always set static IPs from the router with the MAC of the device as thats the most rock solid solution (so that the router isn't trying to use DCHP and the dune trying to take static, etc.).

Final advice, if you are still having problems, you can test the dune outside of control4 to see if its working properly. Just play a movie with the regular dune remote and type the following into internet explorer:

"http://192.168.1.82/cgi-bin/do?cmd=set_playback_state&speed=0"

Replace the 192.168.1.82 with your dune's IP address.

For those that aren't having problems, you can always play with your dune with your web browser as well. Dune as a built in web server and it will even tell your browser the results (hence the two-way driver).

If all that fails, call me :)

Hi Guys.......felt compelled to give a BIG thumbs up to James @ DiamondDesign for his help, knowledge and assistance getting me setup with my Dune, C4 driver, on and on.

Can't wait to sit back and watch some movies this weekend via my new Dune Max controlled via my C4 remote.......YESSS!!

Anyone out here looking for a Dune/C4 dealer I HIGHLY recommend James at DiamondDesign.(link below).

Thanks again James for all your help!

http://diamondhomedesign.com/index3.html

+1

I just received my Dune Duo today. Its installed and running thanks to James. I emailed him at 9pm for a driver and authorization key, and he replied instantly with the goods. I thought I was going to have to wait until tomorrow. Looks like it is going to be a later night than I thought.

Diamond Design has excellent service and is highly recommended!

Great Job James!

Have to agree James is the man.

Gave me much help when I was about to go insane and even spoke with my c4 instaler.

Got things going... Setting up my movies... seems complicated at first, but getting the basic set up only takes a few minutes.

If anyone has questions about making the USB into system storage let me know it's also very easy after you find the correct file.

Peace

Jayhawk...

Have to agree James is the man.

Gave me much help when I was about to go insane and even spoke with my c4 instaler.

Got things going... Setting up my movies... seems complicated at first, but getting the basic set up only takes a few minutes.

If anyone has questions about making the USB into system storage let me know it's also very easy after you find the correct file.

Peace

Jayhawk...

I am having an issue setting up the system storage. Where can I get the right file?

Thanks

Todd

It's actually pretty easy, and I told James I'd post it anyway, so...

- Configuring MyMovies:

- First, set up MyMovies (or whatever), installing it on a host machine.

- From (T)ools (O)ptions, choose "Meta Data Storage".

- Click the Dune HDI checkbox, and then select the configure button to it's right.

- For the index location, pick a NAS or HDD root that is accessible to your Dune.

- For the paths, make sure you configure each movie location root so it's accessible to your Dune.

- Use the "Add Titles" option (or whichever add method you like) to add movies.

- Configuring system storage

- On your computer, navigate to http://dune-hd.com/firmware/usb_flash_drive/

- Read up on system storage.

- Download the file "dune_service_init_system_storage.dsf"

- Copy that file to someplace your Dune can access.

- On the Dune, put a USB drive into one of the available slots.

- On the Dune menu, find the "dune_service_init_system_storage.dsf" file.

- Run the file. This will set up storage.

- From the Dune menu, find the root for "My Movies"

- Using the menu options, copy it to the main menu.

You guys actually know more about mymovies than I do but its my understanding that the very latest IP beta firmware from Dune (that has been released since some of your installs) actually lets you configure system storage from the dune now rather than using a PC and the .dsf file. Can anyone confirm that they have done this and it works?

This is from the 2105 build description:

"* Added built-in functions for management of System Storage.

- New Setup page "Miscellaneous / System Storage" provides the following

functions:

- "Initialize System Storage": allows to initialize the system

storage if it is not configured yet. Two possibilities are

provided: create the system storage on an empty storage device (USB

flash drive, SD card, an already existing HDD partition), or

partition an empty HDD into system storage and user data

partitions. Usage instructions:

- The system lists all found empty 1GB+ storages.

- Select the desired storage.

- If the selected storage's capacity is less than 100GB, the

entire storage is initialized as the system storage.

- Otherwise, if the selected storage is 100GB+ storage device, it

is partitioned into two partitions, the first partition is

initialized as the system storage, and the second partition is

kept unformatted (to format it, select it in the file browser

and press ENTER).

- "Deinitialize System Storage": allows to deinitialize the system

storage if it is already configured.

- "Clear System Storage": deletes all data stored on the system

storage. This, in particular, includes Blu-ray cache, main screen

shortcuts, content of Internet Radio and IPTV folders.

- "Clear Blu-ray Cache": clears Blu-ray cache (also known as "Blu-ray

local storage")."

Until IP goes public release, I'd recommend updating firmware whenever they release it. Lots of fixes in each build usually.

Also, from the main screen, you can hide all icons except the mymovies (of if you have a max or B1, hide all icons except the disc tray and mymovies) and then create a few mymovies folders like "All Titles", "Genres", "Decades" etc.

You guys actually know more about mymovies than I do but its my understanding that the very latest IP beta firmware from Dune (that has been released since some of your installs) actually lets you configure system storage from the dune now rather than using a PC and the .dsf file. Can anyone confirm that they have done this and it works?

This is from the 2105 build description:

"* Added built-in functions for management of System Storage.

- New Setup page "Miscellaneous / System Storage" provides the following

functions:

- "Initialize System Storage": allows to initialize the system

storage if it is not configured yet. Two possibilities are

provided: create the system storage on an empty storage device (USB

flash drive, SD card, an already existing HDD partition), or

partition an empty HDD into system storage and user data

partitions. Usage instructions:

- The system lists all found empty 1GB+ storages.

- Select the desired storage.

- If the selected storage's capacity is less than 100GB, the

entire storage is initialized as the system storage.

- Otherwise, if the selected storage is 100GB+ storage device, it

is partitioned into two partitions, the first partition is

initialized as the system storage, and the second partition is

kept unformatted (to format it, select it in the file browser

and press ENTER).

- "Deinitialize System Storage": allows to deinitialize the system

storage if it is already configured.

- "Clear System Storage": deletes all data stored on the system

storage. This, in particular, includes Blu-ray cache, main screen

shortcuts, content of Internet Radio and IPTV folders.

- "Clear Blu-ray Cache": clears Blu-ray cache (also known as "Blu-ray

local storage")."

Until IP goes public release, I'd recommend updating firmware whenever they release it. Lots of fixes in each build usually.

Also, from the main screen, you can hide all icons except the mymovies (of if you have a max or B1, hide all icons except the disc tray and mymovies) and then create a few mymovies folders like "All Titles", "Genres", "Decades" etc.

I just installed the new firmware and during the install it created my system storage on my attached USB drive. Everything still works great.

Archived