C4 Forums | Control4

C4 "My Home"...

Mongo

As I understand it:

1. A single device license is $199 and a "site" license is $499

2. The existing "i" licenses translate to a single device license. So no.

3. Yes, I would expect more frequent updates. This said, there's a forthcoming update to the "i" apps and a new "PC" navigator coming.

Just some clarification. This family of software is the "same" iPad app, iPhone app that is already available bundled with the new PC Navigator?

by the way does this apps currently also work over 3g or just wifi?

Is there any new functionality at all? But it sounds to me that since it is now a site licence it is just cheaper overall if you have multiple iPads etc

Let me also understand this. I could buy an ipad licence for $149 installed and that is a perpetual licence.

Is this $499 a yearly or a perpetual licence. If it is yearly am I not better off with the $149 specially if I only have 1 or 2 ipad/iphone?

Does the $499 comes with 4sight subscription too?

Thanks

^ Letran

The apps continue to remain free. Your right to use them on your system - the license fee and structure - has changed.

* You can still continue to license the "i" apps and the new "pc" navigator on a per device basis, read the "device" license for $199.

* You can also purchase a "site" license which will allow you to use an unlimited # of "i" devices with the Control4 My Home "i" apps, and an unlimited # of "PC" navigators - for $499

Both of which are still perpetual.

Lastly, at present there is no indication that 4Sight is included included in the "site" license, so you would still need to purchase that yearly subscription.

Again, this is my understanding. The information is very fresh and there may be other interpretations and/or facts still surfacing.

^ Letran

The apps continue to remain free. Your right to use them on your system - the license fee and structure - has changed.

* You can still continue to license the "i" apps and the new "pc" navigator on a per device basis, read the "device" license for $199.

* You can also purchase a "site" license which will allow you to use an unlimited # of "i" devices with the Control4 My Home "i" apps, and an unlimited # of "PC" navigators - for $499

Both of which are still perpetual.

Lastly, at present there is no indication that 4Sight is included included in the "site" license, so you would still need to purchase that yearly subscription.

Again, this is my understanding. The information is very fresh and there may be other interpretations and/or facts still surfacing.

I like how you say the apps are FREE ;)

Thanks for the clarification. The perpetual feature is important for me. I really do not feel like paying $500 bucks to access my own system every year. One time site licence fee is reasonable.

How about the 3g question? Is it 3g now or just wifi. Sorry do not have any of the apps yet.

^ rukus

* The new (and old) "device" license will continue to be available for 1.74 +

* The new "site" license will require 2.x +

Note: The "PC" navigator/tablet will require 2.x + and only run on hardware supporting Adobe's flash (with the only exception being the hardware running Android OS - sorry boys)

I'm thinking of getting an iPad license ($99) but also have two iPhones and a couple of Macs/PC's in the house which I would like to use to access C4. So the $499 works out better if the site license applies to all the devices I mentioned. Is this correct?

Hi,

Love that you can buy a house license soon :)

Question, Ryan - can you confirm

I'll group them by apple and non apple

Apple (Mac, iPad, iPhone):

Is the interface what it is today, where people complain you have to connect each time and a bit slow, or is it different (or different on the Mac computer and iPad but not iPhone)?

Computer (non apple) and Android tablet:

Is this the same as was posted on the DIY site that created all the storm between that site and Control4? Where people said it is always connected and super fast?

Thanks

Dave :)

Is this the same as was posted on the DIY site that created all the storm between that site and Control4? Where people said it is always connected and super fast?

Yup. It's lightning quick. You'll love it.

At least what I did is, and I'm told it's the same.

What tablets will it run on? Any idea as to if it will run on the new Android OS that will run flash?

I guess my question is, what are my inexpensive options other than an iPad and is the ipad interface really slow?

Thanks

I was at the Control4 booth at CES yesterday and they said Android support is "coming soon". They did have it there being displayed, running on an "Archos" tablet that was running Windows.

I think your least expensive option is going to be an Android tablet once they are supported.

What tablets will it run on? Any idea as to if it will run on the new Android OS that will run flash?

I guess my question is, what are my inexpensive options other than an iPad and is the ipad interface really slow?

Thanks

Your options are the "i" devices, or any non-Android platform that supports Adobe Air. As Dan pointed out this would include the new Windows based tablets hitting the market now.

The question I have is whether or not the new "site" license will cover the new embedded navigator when it comes out. Smart TV's made a big showing at CES this year, a number of which support Adobe Air which would make the eligible to run the "PC/Tablet" navigator.

Samsung’s Smart Hub and respective app's are one example of a smart TV that might qualify.

If this does come to pass, it would be ground breaking for Control4 - and unless the marketers at C4 screw the pooch again - a real advantage for both existing and future Control4 customers.

One could argue that it might cannibalize controller sales, but given the performance issues flash nav eg. 2.x puts on a controller it might be the smartest thing they could do right now. There's essentially no solution for a single controller C4 install with on screen nav and digital music. Putting the nav in the set get's around this.

Furthermore I don;t know anyone dropping a HC200 behind every TV. Most larger install will run a couple centrally and strategically place HC's elsewhere in the residence based on the desired zigbee coverage.

It's a win-win.

Thanks. Looks like there are really no "inexpensive" windows tablets out right now compared to the ipad. At $429, refurbished, it looks like the ipad is probably the best bet until you can get into the cheaper, sub $200 Android tablets.

Is the performance issue of the ipad interface a problem? I assume you can overcome some of the issues by having it always connected to wifi.

I prefer my Control4 WiFi touchpanels to the iPad so much so, that I didn't buy the iPad license after the trial. I will buy one of these site licenses for the PC and my phones (once Android support is available), so I will have it then, but I don't anticipate using it much.

So the reason this new release for the MAC, iPhone, and iPad is slow on wifi is because it does not support flash? Even though they make it look the same on those devices, the way they accomplish that slows things down on apple products?

So just to make sure I'm correct, there will be something different running Non Mac and Macs for this? and the Non Macs are the ones that will be really fast?

So the reason this new release for the MAC, iPhone, and iPad is slow on wifi is because it does not support flash? Even though they make it look the same on those devices, the way they accomplish that slows things down on apple products?

So just to make sure I'm correct, there will be something different running Non Mac and Macs for this? and the Non Macs are the ones that will be really fast?

I think you're over thinking it. I think they will all be plenty fast, wifi or not.

The portable Apple products don't support Flash, so they will run a different piece of software like they do now.

The other products that support Flash (Apple Computers, PC's, Android, etc...) will run the actual FLASH navigator....in flash.

Obviously all the portable products will connect via WIFI, and I don't know see an Android app being FASTER than an iPhone app because it is in Flash.

The reason the Flash Navigator is so damned fast on my computer is because it is a fast computer.

So the reason this new release for the MAC' date=' iPhone, and iPad is slow on wifi is because it does not support flash? Even though they make it look the same on those devices, the way they accomplish that slows things down on apple products?

So just to make sure I'm correct, there will be something different running Non Mac and Macs for this? and the Non Macs are the ones that will be really fast?[/quote']

I think you're over thinking it. I think they will all be plenty fast, wifi or not.

The portable Apple products don't support Flash, so they will run a different piece of software like they do now.

The other products that support Flash (Apple Computers, PC's, Android, etc...) will run the actual FLASH navigator....in flash.

Obviously all the portable products will connect via WIFI, and I don't know see an Android app being FASTER than an iPhone app because it is in Flash.

The reason the Flash Navigator is so damned fast on my computer is because it is a fast computer.

Thanks for clarifying! So if I wanted a tablet computer, the response will really be about the same for all (iPad vs other) for the control4 gui, and if I run it on my home computer it should be even faster

Thanks!

Archived