C4 Forums | Control4

SR250 "Searching for network" happens at least once a day!

This is getting really annoying, and the wife factor is going down quickly! I have tried to search for this problem on the forum, but I am not finding anything. At least once a day, my remote goes into a “Searching for Network” mode. When it does this, I loose all control of the system through my remote. The SR250 is my only device for controlling my HC300, and when it quits in the middle of my wife’s show, I hear about it. Has anyone else experiences this. I was told that if I hit the C4 button several times in a row, that it will reset the controller, and this does work, but then takes me away from what I was viewing. Any ideas what I can check? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks,

Mike

Those batteries are terrible in electronics, IMO. Had issues with the door locks in a customers house, and as a last effort I replaced with Duracells. Worked muuuch better after that. Be careful of the "rocket" brand batteries that came with some of the SR250s too, I've seen a few of them explode (not saying that any brand battery wont, but keep an eye on it)

http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?pid=46635#p46635

see the above topic .. not saying you will find an absolute answer there as I still have the problem, but very rarely. I notice it more after a power brown out or outage and just added a UPS to my main controller. It seems to happen more to my one SR250 than the other.

RyanE do you know if C4 has found out anything after issuing the bulletin regarding the waiting for network problem with the SR250 and if so any fix??

Reading this forum it would appear the problem is common, but in 5 years I haven't experienced it. My only complaint with the SR-250 is if it gets much of a "bump" (I have young kids) it reboots. When it reboots you get the "waiting on network" for about 2 seconds.

I think the reason this happens is the spring that holds the batteries in place is pretty weak, and when it gets bumped the batteries depress the spring to the point that they lose contact on one side, thus breifly cutting power to the remote. I should try and bend those springs up and see if that helps...I bet it would...

I have stretched the springs on a couple of my SR-250's, and I think it does help if they're in a location that's likely to be bumped, but honestly, I never see the message anymore, now that I'm on 2.0, and I hadn't seen it for a long time in the 2.0 beta.

RyanE

http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=5839

This is another thread that addresses this issue. I went from 11 to 9 then to 6 due to my computers not liking channel 9. I must say, at the time I was ready to sell what few pieces of C4 gear I had and the wife was ready to throw me out (it is amazing how mad someone can get when the fast-forward button doesn't work). Now, I love it and she is coming around.

I had same problem. Both of my 250's would just become non-functional. Virtually every day. Replacing or reinstalling the batteries sent it to "waitin on network" and would not connect for a very long time (sometimes hours!). I powered down my entire C4 system and restarted it. I haven't had the problem since. Can't explain it. My dealer could not find the source of the issue or explain it. But I'm an IT guy and eventually the "just reboot it" answer always comes into play. As I side note, the speed at which my remote commands were processed also seemed to increase... now it is back to being very snappy. Try it.

I already posted my SIMILAR issue,Searching for Siganl,No signal.It has been irritating me but dealer tech is unable to fix it.any ideas?,If ask any other Best Buy Control 4 tech will charge$90 for visit.I dont know what to do and can we contact product support?

This is what works for me. I flush the remote until it says waiting for signal again. Then I take out the batteries and reboot the controller. Once rebooted, I reinstall the batteries, press the C4 button 4 times , the SR will search for signal and keep the remote awake. it work most of the times.

What's your wireless broadcasting on?

Mine is on 6 and I've never had these type of issues.

Does it required wifi? I am new and dont know how it works but I have comcast internet with linksys router.Do I need to change with linksys or control 4?

Pls explain how and where to setup.

Thanks!

What's your wireless broadcasting on?

Mine is on 6 and I've never had these type of issues.

Does it required wifi? I am new and dont know how it works but I have comcast internet with linksys router.Do I need to change with linksys or control 4?

Pls explain how and where to setup.

Thanks!

The C4 remote does not require WiFi but it does operate in the same radio frequencies that WifI and other devices operate on. This is called the ISM band. See this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISM_band

Since many devices share the ISM band there is the possibility of interference from other devices.

Hello folks,

I'm new here - have had a whole-home system for a few weeks. I am experiencing the "search for network" bug as well. I've read most of the related threads here and I'm hoping my dealer can help soon. I talked to him yesterday (he's out of town on vacation) and he suggested a whole-system shut-down. So I just switched off the circuit-breaker for the room where the rack is, waited a bit, and switched it back on. Since that time (it's been 12 hours), my touch screens say "Connecting to Director" and never change. The remotes still say "waiting for network." The "link" light on the controller boxes are not lit - something I've noticed should happen.

Here's my question: Am I missing something in the start-up process that's preventing the system from connecting to the director? As far as I can tell, everything in the rack is powered on. It seems that this may be different from the remote problem - before the shutdown, I could still play music, etc. Now, it's in limbo. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Quick Edit: I am on C4 2.0.

Archived