C4 Forums | Control4

Front Door Camera

I have a Panasonic IP camera on my front door. My dealer has announcements set so that when the doorbell rings the TVs & touchscreens pop up and show a static image of who is at the door for 30 seconds. Is there a way to make it so the displays show the actual video rather than just a single static image?

If not, any chance this will be an option in 2.0?

Yes, I just program it to switch to video source: pan camera when doorbell pressed. I also tell it to hit 0 then 1. 0 brings up my list of cams and 1 tells it to select my front door cam. Then presto full screen live video of my front door.

Not with my current setup, but there was a dealer on here talking about a ip converter that would allow video on touch screens so it may be possible. For the touchscreen I still have to hit cams then select frontdoor, no auto pop up live video.

I can stream by hitting the cam button on the touchscreen. I just can't program live stream to popup upon doorbell ring. There maybe a simple way, I haven't tried. In my house if you can see the 7 inch touchscreen you can also see a 50 inch tv so I haven't needed to try.

I'm confused. If you have a WV10A then certainly a doorbell trigger can kick-off your 1-0 routine to pull-up the door cam on your panel. What others are saying here is only a snap-shot can be displayed on a TS. What was said in post #5 of the other thread is there is a device to do this.

I shouldn't have said "can't" but haven't tried since I don't have the need. When I get off next Tuesday morning I will play with it and see if I can do it. In my system the wv10a is called "panasonic camera" and it is fed into my matrix switch over composite. "panasonic camera" is a video source that I pull up under videos on cop screen. So in programming all I have to do is say if doorbell rings make panasonic camera video source in living room. I'm not sure that I can pick the touchscreen on the top right of composer and then underneath select pan cam as video source, I've never looked. I know you can tell it to pull up a snapshot of the ip of your cam which is what others are reporting. Sorry if I'm confusing you, I'm going to take the wappinhigh excuse that I'm typing all this on my iPhone.

I shouldn't have said "can't" but haven't tried since I don't have the need. When I get off next Tuesday morning I will play with it and see if I can do it. In my system the wv10a is called "panasonic camera" and it is fed into my matrix switch over composite. "panasonic camera" is a video source that I pull up under videos on cop screen. So in programming all I have to do is say if doorbell rings make panasonic camera video source in living room. I'm not sure that I can pick the touchscreen on the top right of composer and then underneath select pan cam as video source, I've never looked. I know you can tell it to pull up a snapshot of the ip of your cam which is what others are reporting. Sorry if I'm confusing you, I'm going to take the wappinhigh excuse that I'm typing all this on my iPhone.

My question to pharmdsmith is are you also distributing composite video to your panels? I mean switchers can take-in composite but do you have one that also converts to component and sends that sig out on the same coax set as, say for example your DVRs ar e running on?

I'm not sure I understand your question. It is composite going into the matrix and then composite from the balun to the tv. My dvrs go into matrix as component and out of balun to tv as component. I looked at the touchscreen options and currently you can only capture a snapshot to pop up in programming. The only way to pull up live video is to physically hit the buttons on the touchscreen.

What I was thinking in the background was that the average matrix might take in composite but wouldn't it need to go out on just the green channel of the component array to get even a black & white signal to your panels? If the matrix had some sort of converter (composite to component) then I could see it as a no-brainer.

You answered my question though. So you ran extra coax or something to get the composite all the way to your panel. Now, did you do this for every panel or just one location?

Actually composite to the matrix, cat 5 from matrix to balun, then composite from balun to tv. I have this on 3 tv's. The balun is a hornet balun. Which has 6 connections, 3 for component, 2 for audio, 1 for composite video or digital audio. To the touchscreens I don't have anything but a cat5, so the only video I can get is from cop screen.

Archived