C4 Forums | Control4

Need a dealer! Need a driver made.

C4RVA

My current dealer is great but has no experience with driverworks what so ever. He has not been able to find a solution to the problems with contro4 and my denon 4308. I know this AVR can be controlled as denon featured it at the CES and its mentioned directly on the control4 site. http://www.control4.com/ces09/

The control4 driver for the denon 4308CI is dismal at best. The power handling for the internal devices doesn't work. Reference this thread for the details...http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=4513

I need a dealer that can make a driver or fix the current problem. It could be something simple. There might even be a solution available on the dealers side of things. I can't get driverworks and I can't see the dealer stuff... thats cool.

But,

I do have composer pro, no I'm not a dealer. Yes I want to play with the equipment I paid for. Yes I have a dealer I already work with. If you're willing to work with me knowing that.....

Name your price.

I'm at the end of the line folks...Two other dealers in the area didn't seem up to working on a driver and a third told me it wasn't worth his time.

Intense pissed off rage, that's harsh.

Just an FYI on drivers, as you have found it is hard finding someone to make them. I guess if you are okay with signing a blank check some on here might be willing to do it, but here is why it is tough:

- They have no idea how long it will take, hence the blank check x number of hours @ $125/hr = ?

- What if they spend 9 hours on it and cannot get it doing EXACTLY what you want? You won't pay them, will you? That's 9 lost hours.

- They are at the mercy of the information provided by Denon when it comes to making a driver. The problem could lie in the fact that Denon doesn't have good enough documentation.

Just pointing out why you will have issues. I have made the same request in the past, and been unsuccessful getting someone to make a serial driver just for me, for the reasons listed above. Unless they have 100% confidence they can deliver all the functionality you want, they are gambling on spending there time doing it because the project may never pay off.

Hopefully that makes sense. I'm glad you got it working better.

Dan

What if everyone could write drivers and install them in their Composer, not just dealers - would that make a difference? Perhaps a user would see this as a hobby and write drivers much better than what a dealer would be prepared to do. One downside could be quality control, but we already have that today - as the OP is suggesting.

What if everyone could write drivers and install them in their Composer, not just dealers - would that make a difference? Perhaps a user would see this as a hobby and write drivers much better than what a dealer would be prepared to do. One downside could be quality control, but we already have that today - as the OP is suggesting.

Some DIY automation software like CQC allow you to do this. You can write your own driver and deploy locally without affecting anyone else. There is a steep learning curve especially for those who have not written code before but for some who have coded extensively, this should be a good hobby.

- They are at the mercy of the information provided by Denon when it comes to making a driver. The problem could lie in the fact that Denon doesn't have good enough documentation.

I asked Denon about documentation and here's what they had to say:

"... we provide all of the 'Control Companies' with product for testing. When it comes to 232, they are responsible for writing their own drivers for their control systems".

I don't know if that means C4 receives new Denon products for testing?? But, I do know that Denon publishes and regularly updates their 232 documentation: http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=2604

So, when it comes to creating drivers:

* If Denon won't do it

* If Control4 won't do it

* If Dealers won't do it

* If end users can't do it

What's the best solution? Seems like creating drivers (for a variety of products) is an ongoing irritant for everyone?

Oh we'll do it, don't get us wrong (dealers). But because you may be the only one that wants it, for us to justify spending our time and resources on it, it will most likely *not* be worth it for you, in most cases.

With new products, it will take that one person to "pony up" for the benefit of the overall community, unless it's someting like the Sony Bluray changer where it's an easy cost-justification for Control4 themselves to do.

Wow.. I hate to start the New Year with a complaint but why can't Control4 have a library of IR drivers available like Harmony/Logitech provides their customers?? Buy a $100 remote and you get tens of thousands (maybe a bit over exaggerated) of drivers free and readily available. I never had a piece of A/V equipment that there wasn't a driver already available. Even an oddball 20" Maxent LCD driver was available.

My stuff ain't high end, and I only use IR control, but still I had to build 4 or 5 IR drivers myself when I switched over to Control4.

Again sorry for the complaint but ............

No, you get 10s of thousands of *code sets*.

Control4 *does* provide thousands of drivers in the online database. Drivers are more than code sets, and because of that, it's a little more difficult for Control4 to provide them than just purchasing a library of IR codes as most manufacturers can.

Of course, also because of that, when a driver does exist, it (mostly) just works, without having to write input switching macros or power control macros.

Most dealers are not affected by missing drivers much, because they typically sell only a limited set of devices that they're very comfortable with, and make great drivers for those devices.

RyanE

i've been looking for a denon 4306 driver for a long time. 232 or IP, preferably IP. can we start some sort of "show of hands" in favor of *somebody* writing the driver??

If you search there is already a thread for that, started by thecodeman.

RyanE.. I stand somewhat corrected. Thank you.

The point I was trying to make is that you didn't have to have the "recommended" devices to have control over them. You could take what you had and make it work. I personally had just bought new equipment, TV, receiver, speakers, blu-ray player etc. within 6 mos. or so of when I decided to look at Control4. I could not have considered the cost of Control4 equipment in addition to having to re-buy equipment as well, or spend $100's for driver creation.

I'm not trying to insult Control4, just wish it would have more of a "regular guy" factor to it. Make it easier for us not so rich and famous to afford it. :)

At any rate Happy New Year!!!

I till have issues with the pathetic Onkyo SR605 driver provided by Control4. It simply doesn't work properly and is full of bugs. I have been unable to get any help with a proper driver.

I till have issues with the pathetic Onkyo SR605 driver provided by Control4. It simply doesn't work properly and is full of bugs. I have been unable to get any help with a proper driver.

I too would like a correctly working 605 driver. Anyone else? Maybe we can split the

cost.

Are you only having issues with the AM/FM tuner or are you still having zone1/2/ issues?

My issues are:

1) When powering on Zone 2 it also powers on Zone 1 (bad). When powering off Zone 2 it leaves Zone 1 turned on (good).

2) When selecting an FM radio station it tunes it in properly (good) but then toggles the AM/FM (bad). This behaviour only happens when the receiver is in an off state when I select the radio station. If the receiver is already on when I select the radio station it doesn't send the trailing AM/FM toggle command.

I did resolve this by creating an independent basic driver to control just Zone 2 and the AM/FM tuner. I now have an additional source (Apple TV) connected to my receiver (this receiver works as a great video switch). Zone 1 works great with the Apple TV. However, Zone 2 is handled by C4 as a separate device and my Apple TV doesn't appear as an audio source in other rooms.

I've gotten the denon to at least power on and off correctly now! Yay.

Here is my problem folks...

I spent a considerable amount of money on control4, I got a dealer, I paid for the install. I did it the "right" way.

My control4 dealer couldn't fix the problem I had.

Control4 says I can't have the software to fix it myself.

My dealer isn't or didn't get the support from control4 to fix it.

If I was the average customer, I would have to either switch to a new dealer capable of advanced programming or buy different equipment. WHAT A RIP!

My issues are:

1) When powering on Zone 2 it also powers on Zone 1 (bad). When powering off Zone 2 it leaves Zone 1 turned on (good).

2) When selecting an FM radio station it tunes it in properly (good) but then toggles the AM/FM (bad). This behaviour only happens when the receiver is in an off state when I select the radio station. If the receiver is already on when I select the radio station it doesn't send the trailing AM/FM toggle command.

I did resolve this by creating an independent basic driver to control just Zone 2 and the AM/FM tuner. I now have an additional source (Apple TV) connected to my receiver (this receiver works as a great video switch). Zone 1 works great with the Apple TV. However, Zone 2 is handled by C4 as a separate device and my Apple TV doesn't appear as an audio source in other rooms.

Yep. Agree with the above.

If you turn it on (like select an FM station) from the remote, mini touch, or LCD it tunes then directly goes to AM. If you power the room off and do it again directly after trying the first time, everything is ok.

C4RVA,

sorry for you troubles. When I went through training I was told that C4 does not work well with using multiple zones from one receiver. I have never sold a multi zone receiver and if my customer had one I have refused to set this up.

There are several dealers that have done work arounds, (I am not guaranteeing that these will work). but they claim a high solution rate.

If you would have your dealer contact me I will guide him on how to find the threads he will need to read.

For those who wonder why I do not directly help c4rva, Let me be clear. I do not do remote install or problem shooting. There are dealers on this forum that will work tha way, BUT I do not.

Please do not reduce this thread to "control4's business plan is wrong"

Brent

edit for spelling

sorry for you troubles. When I went through training I was told that C4 does not work well with using multiple zones from one receiver. I have never sold a multi zone receiver and if my customer had one I have refused to set this up.

FYI - I have a Denon AVR-887 that works perfectly with zone2 control. Volume, power, tuner, inputs, etc. I haven't noticed any issues with it at all.

The Control4 Driver wizard works great for quick 1 way drivers however there are limitations to what you can do with it. Note that you can write 2 way drivers but the amount of time it takes to make one is tremendous. To give you an example the marantz driveri wrote took aproximately 40 hours to write (and i'm good at writing drivers). Give that an hourly sum and even at the lowest of rates it is generally not acceptable for most installations.

If you require multizone support or feedback i recommend utilising integra/onkyo receivers. Control4 has written a driver that works well and has been utilised in many jobs around the world.

If you require multizone support or feedback i recommend utilising integra/onkyo receivers. Control4 has written a driver that works well and has been utilised in many jobs around the world.

That's somewhat funny, cause Onkyo (the 605) is the one were both having

multi-zone issues with. Hmph.

When I went through training I was told that C4 does not work well with using multiple zones from one receiver. I have never sold a multi zone receiver and if my customer had one I have refused to set this up.

What's interesting here is Control4 profiles Denon as a "certified partner" all the time. For example, here's a Control4 press release from Jan 7th http://www.control4.com/news/95/44/Sony-Pioneer-Kwikset-Yamaha-Samsung-Integra-Denon-and-More-Join-Control4-Certification-Programs-to-Create-the-Smart-Home/ specifically highlighting the multi-zone capabilities of Denon/Marantz. Why would C4 profile multi-zone capabilities of "certified partners" in corporate press releases and then discourage their use in training?

Archived