C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 now links to Z-wave products

jwoodward

I wonder how much the interface mod will be - I know for the crestpile (crestron) its 750 bucks.

Well 750 would be a bit high for a Z-wave interface I'm guessing more like 400 but then they might try to keep the cost of entry high so that people continue to buy Control 4 branded products. Although I honestly would only use products that C4 doesn't currently provide

I believe this is a Z-Wave to IP bridge which then allows C4 to connect via IP. It's not allowing Z-wave devices to participate in the mesh so it's still a bit limited in regards to interoperation. Will know more once they open the CEDIA floor tomorrow and we get to corner someone for details.

Tempting *if* the quality and functionality is the same.

i.e. no RGB LEDs, cheap-feeling plastic compared to Control4 dimmers on the inexpensive dimmers...

There are other reasons you might want to stick with Control4 dimmers, as they increase the size of your ZigBee mesh, integrate better (in Pro) with lighting scenes, no 'popcorn effect', etc.

I do think there are definitely situations where they'd make a good fit, but I still think Control4 dimmers are competitive if you compare apples to apples.

RyanE

Definitely true, the RGB LEDs are very helpful as is the zigbee... but for my attic light switches $35 for basic dimming is good enough. Also nice for those other switches around the house where it isnt financially possible or 'worth' paying $130 for dimming etc... like for example in each of our bedrooms we have 4 switches (recessed light, fan light, fan, outlet)... I replaced the recessed lights and fan lights with C4 dimmers/switches but in the interest of my wallet didnt do the other two, but with this I may.

In my case, I don't actually use Control4 to turn on and off my Christmas lights.

I have a cron job on one of my Linux boxes that fires off BottleRocket, which talks serial to the FireCracker interface module.

http://www.linuxha.com/bottlerocket/

I could, of course, write a serial driver for X10, but as I'm just turning them on then off later, I don't really feel the need at this point. This has worked for longer than I've been at Control4, and will continue to, as long as I replace the modules when they invariably burn out.

RyanE

I tried the x-10 way, but I have a 400 amp service across 2 200 amp panels, and i could only get the signals across one panel. Luckily I only have $50 in the system.

For this problem there's an X10 signal bridge. I have one for the 2 legs in my panel. Search google for X10 bridge. I believe mine is a Leviton. I had it installed in the laundry room using the 220v plug for the dryer (I have a gas dryer, don't need this plug), but there are lots of other ways it can be done.

Now if I could find a way to control the X10 lights from the C4 I'd be happy, but I also just purchased 40 some C4 dimmers to replace the X10 ones with, when I find the time.

-Richard

I dont see why you would say that... I mean I have about 10 X10 outlets which would run me what, $1300+ for C4 outlets? If I can get C4 to control those outlet switches and not have to buy new ones then thats $1300 saved, definitely worth it.

Archived