C4 Forums | Control4

Eva 9150

Hopefully it is okay that I started this thread. I am looking forward to getting my EVA 9150 tomorrow, and I know several of us already have them. This will be my first foray into trying to integrate digital video files with Control4. I figured we could use this thread as a place to post best results, and what works and what doesn't.

The old thread we've been using is all over the place, and I figured we could make this a good resource to share discoveries and guide people in the right direction.

Here are my questions. If I have my movies I've ripped using AnyDVDHD, and then saved them in a folder titled the same as the movie, if I point Control4 to that Network Storage will it automatically find the cover art like it does with the 777? What is the process? I am getting ready to start mass ripping all my DVD's to network storage and want to get the kinks worked out prior to ripping all 300+ videos.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, when the IP address of the NFS has been set, you can go to the Media Tab and select scan. It does not look at the folder names but instead reads the information from VOB/ISO files just as with the 777.

tebery, to be honest I don't know. I am new to this as I mentioned. I bought AnyDVD HD and ripped a couple of movies using the default settings, other than checking the box to remove the adverts and skip straight to the movies menu. It outputs two folders, I believe they are called video_ts and audio_ts. I then put those two folders in a folder that matches the title of the movie.

informal testing continues. After a whopping 1 day, I just had my first crash. After I rebooted, I got a message saying that it had recovered from a serious error:( Anyhow, I tried playing a .wmv hd movie through the c4 interface. I had issues with playback followed by pop up messages saying insufficient network performance. I don't buy that as the same movie plays flawlessly streamed from pc to xbox 360. I then added the same movie to the netgear hard drive and the playback issue was still there with the pop up. Seemed like the movie did play better from the hard drive. Maybe tweaking the buffer settings or one of the other options may get things on track. I'm now going to test hdmi and sound issues in the theater...

tum

I've got a browser window loaded with everything done, I just need to hit ”complete purchase". This crashing business has me nervous.

I figured out the .ISO thing, and that is what I'll use for my movies if that is what's recommended.

Tumult, keep me posted. You've got me nervous now.

i've briefly watched two dvd and they appeared to play flawlessly, but because i already have a dvd changer, I've mainly focused on its ability to play hd content. so, x264 1080p .mkv with dts plays fine and looks great. tried playing a .mts with dolby true hd and I get no sound with dolby option either set to stereo or passthrough. with .wmv hd movies, I only get sound if its set to stereo yet receiver shows its in 5.1. still having video stuttering as a result of network issues with at least one .wmv 1080p movie. another .wmv 1080p movie had sound issues when played from within c4 interface. when pressing the 'skip forward 30 seconds' button on a .mts file, the movie returns to the beginning:/ compared to the xbox 360, the netgear does not fare as well with the .wmv files (I wonder why;))

i think the crash was a result of it having trouble playing one of the .wmv files. my dealer is coming over this weekend to tinker so hopefully we can figure some of this out.

tum

Tumult....that is better news.

The only real reason I am buying this is for HD content, I have the DVD changer as well. I want this for HDDVD and Blueray distribution so I don't have to buy the $3,000 Sony blueray changer.

Do you think if I am consistant in using .iso files from BlueRay that it will play back fine?

have no idea how .iso hd will work. I will say that I just realized that c4 does not scan for either .mkv or .mts so you won't get those files with cover art in the video section. Hopefully, c4 can add that in later.

after spending more time with the netgear, the cover art section is functional and fast. not as neat as c4's video section, but considering it will show most file formats and does a bunch of other stuff, its a pretty nifty device.

tum

have no idea how .iso hd will work. I will say that I just realized that c4 does not scan for either .mkv or .mts so you won't get those files with cover art in the video section. Hopefully, c4 can add that in later.

Not correct.

You can scan for any type of file. Instead of using the dropdown in the scan dialog, type in the extension you want to scan for.

It still won't automagically find cover art for it, but it will find the files, and add them, and you can then manually add the cover art for them.

The reason it doesn't add cover art is that unlike ISO files, standalone files don't have title/chapter/length (TOC) information, which is used in ISOs and DVD's to do the automagic cover art lookup.

RyanE

ryan - if only u had chimed in earlier:) I loaned the netgear to my dealer so i can't try it out. that is absolutely terrific news and we had no idea. a couple of firmware updates to the netgear and it will be a very good media player. wishlist item - filter to only show G and PG movies within video interface.

thanks,

tum

Of course, it doesn't mean that whatever player you're using will actually *PLAY* those formats, just that Control4 will scan for those formats, without looking into the file to try and figure anything out about it.

RyanE

Does this interface of a standard serial RS232 cable? I want to make sure I have everything I need for when this shows up. My dealer is going to add it to the project remotely so I will be making the physical connections.

Thanks.

Not yet...hopefully you find out and can share the answer with me. I will be tinerking with mine tonight.

My guess would be the easiest method would be to remove the drive from the 9150 and mount in to the computer. There has to be a way to share that drive accross the network though.

lol. sorry. I gave mine to my dealer so I don't have it in front of me. The first menu that pops up, hit more. then scroll down to supervisor functions. then I believe you hit advanced, and then there's another menu where there's a box for file sharing or folder sharing. the default is unchecked. you need to check it. I think you then put in a password...after you've got it done, the hard drive should show up in your network. then you can just drag and drop files onto the negear hard drive from your pc. .

I got this info from the netgear forums but under the sub forum of the eva 8000. go figure. Good luck!

tum

Archived