C4 Forums | Control4

Zatabit

Guest Jim Gist

Guest Jim Gist

Hello everyone,

Long time no chat I've been travelling like a mad man!

Anyway I just installed the Zatabit and it works very good.

You can play back just about any movie format and it works like the 777 but much faster :)

For you hackers out there with your large test movie collection in standard and Bluray this is a must have

Check it out!

Jim Gist

http://zatabit.com/

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its great to see a control4 VP participate here! Thank you for your participation and especially for RyanE's continued participation.

Zatabit looks interesting enough, but I would want to see some videos of it in action to see how quickly it navigates through the menus and the movies. I'm guessing it doesn't actually rip blu-ray, but plays back blu rays that have already been ripped. Also need to know the files it plays b/c the site is not complete. Besides zatabit, are there any other nuggets of info you want to share?

tum

Here is a more detailed list of video formats that have been tested and confirmed to work. If you have a specific file format that is not listed and you would like to send a small clip of that format to me directly I would be happy to see what can be done. Rick (at) Zatabit dot com.

(S)VCD (Super Video CD)

4X Technologies (.4xm)

AIFF (.aif, .aiff)

ASF (.asf, .wmv, .wma)

Audio CD

AVI (.avi)

Cinepak

creative yuv (cyuv)

CreativeVoice (.voc)

Dialogic VOX (.vox)

Direct DVD playback divx 3/4/5

DV video

DVD (.vts, .iso)

Electronic Arts WVE (.wve)

FILM (.cpk)

FLI/FLC format

HuffYUV

I263

Id Software RoQ (.roq)

Indeo 3.1-5.0

Intel Indeo3 (3.1, 3.2)

Matroska

MJPEG, AVID, VCR2, ASV2

mpeg transport streams (.ts)

MPEG-1 (VCD) and MPEG-2 (SVCD/DVD/DVB) video

MPEG-1/2 (ES/PS/PES/VOB)

MPEG-4 ASP in all variants including DivX ;-), OpenDivX (DivX4), DivX 5 (Pro), Xvid

MPEG-4 AVC aka H.264

mpeg-audio (.mp2, .mp3)

mpeg-video (.mpv, .m2v)

ms mpeg 4

ms rle

ms video 1 (msvc/VC-1)

NSV (Nullsoft Streaming Video)

NuppelVideo format

Ogg/OGM files

On2 VP3.1

Playstation STR (.str)

PVA format

QT RLE, SMC, RPZA

quicktime (.mov, .mp4)

raw AC3 (.ac3)

raw dv (.dv)

real (.rm, .ra, .ram)

Real Media 2.0, 3.0, 4.0

RIFF AVI file format

RoQ format

roq video

Sega Saturn FILM (.cpk)

SMJPEG (.mjpg)

Sun/NeXT SND/AU (.snd, .au)

TechnoTrend PVA (.pva)

theora

wav (.wav)

Westwood Studios files (.vqa, .aud)

YUV4MPEG2 (.y4m)

Windows Media Video 7,8,9 (WMV1/2/3) (WMV3) (using x86 DLL)

Sorenson v1/v3 (SVQ1/SVQ3), Cinepak, RPZA and other QuickTime codecs

RealVideo 1.0, 2.0 (G2) 3.0 (RP8), 4.0 (RP9) (using Real libraries)

VIVO 1.0, 2.0, I263 and other H.263(+) variants (using x86 DLL)

Intel Indeo 4.1 and 5.0 (using x86 DLL or XAnim codecs)

the real question is cost...didn't see a mention of usb ports so I'm guessing you can't use your own hard drives along with the Zatabit media client? To figure this all out, I'm definitely going to need to beta test one of the units...

Guest Jim Gist

Hey guys,

It navigates like a dvd player and you pick a movie and it just plays. I test a ton of gear and this is pretty cool.

It not as much as other and your mostly paying for storage and I believe they work with NAS but I haven't tried it yet.

I'll forward your questions and let them answer them

Also for the guy that said one of your moms is "Not Cheap", I believe he meant "cost effective" :)

Jim

We do sell a 4Tb. Raid5 Solution that will add storage to the Zatabit server. We do not currently support third-party NAS solutions. We have tested a lot of different manufactures solution (50+) and have only found two that provided the performance needed to steam HD content to 10+ clients at one time. Out of those we could not find any that allowed us to save the settings needed to supports our technology properly. This being said we are willing to look at any third party device that anyone thinks can do the job.

To answer the Question regarding MSRP we currently do not have a published price sheet, so you are the first to see the list below. The prices posted are subject to change and may vary from dealer to dealer.

2TB. Riad5 Server $6,300 (3.5 TB total in the box)

4TB. Raid5 Server $8,100 (5.5 TB total in the box)

6TB. Raid5 Server $10,200 (7.5 TB total in the box)

Client $2,400

4TB Raid5 NAS $3,900 (3 TB usable)

What are the advantages of Zatabit compared with the media receivers that will soon be compatible with 1.7? Think the netgear offering is only $300, but obviously it requires you to have your own NAS. So other than the built-in NAS, is it the number of compatible file formats?

So is the primary target for this a user that needs to stream HD to 3+ sources at the same time? I realize the $300-400 offerings currently available from Netgear etc can only stream to one source at a time and require an independent storage/PC, but if thats all you need then this would be overkill, no?

What are the advantages of Zatabit compared with the media receivers that will soon be compatible with 1.7? Think the netgear offering is only $300, but obviously it requires you to have your own NAS. So other than the built-in NAS, is it the number of compatible file formats?

While the number of supported file format differences is pretty high, it's not a main advantage Zatabit has over set top boxes like the netgear. We looked at a number of hardware choices before going the way we did. The two biggest problems we saw with set top boxes were the quality of the video (not just upscaling) and the sdk's that are available. Netgears SDK for instance would not allow us to do even 20% of the features that we have now, let alone what we in the future pipeline. As for quality, we will gladly go up against any other media server out there and we feel very certain that the Zatabit 200 series line will come out far ahead. I'll spare the technical mumbo jumbo and summarize by saying that we use many times the processing power of a set top box just in our video quality enhancement processing. We're looking at having a blind test comparisons between a DVD playback upscaled to 1080p on our system to a blu-ray player and blu-ray disc because it's that good.

The set top line is competitive and they cut major corners to keep prices low. We decided a long time ago that cost should not and will not be the main focus of our products. Quality from video, audio, response time, features and usability is what we wanted to provide. We want to be the highest ranked from customer satisfaction to dealer satisfaction, which is why we've made installation and integration very easy for a dealer and we want the customer to love the system and know they are experiencing their content in the best way possible.

Brandon

(Zatabit)

Archived