C4 Forums | Control4

DSC Alarm system and Panels

jdr1000

I am building a new place and my security system needs to be DSC. What works with Control4 and do I need to use any of their panels or will I use only Control4 system to control the thing, activate, de-activate, (Home, Away, Panic) etc... Most of the sensors will be wireless, some Smoke detectors are also going to be installed.

DSC has PC1616 and PC1832 as an option for me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

J

You need the DSC IT-100 serial module.

You should be able to control the panel and use the zone open/closes to trigger events on the control4 system.

I'd recommend you still use hardwired security system keypads in a couple of key locations, like at the front door and garage door, so that if by chance the automation system is off (power outage, etc.), you can still arm/disarm the security system.

Also important is to have backup power for the automation system along with the battery backup provided by the security panel, so they don't get out of sync.

RyanE

If I have lets say 2 wired keypads, will they interfere or override whatever I do on Control4? If I activate with Control4, will I be able to de-activate with the keypad?

J

Yes, you will be able to activate or deactivate with both Control4 and the keypads. So I you arm it with C4, then you can disarm with the keypads and vice versa. Very handy. Especially when you set up a "goodnight" routine where all the lights are turned off and the system is armed in "Stay" mode from our bedroom. Same with disarming.

Archived