C4 Forums | Control4

Driver News: Recluse AV - Belkin WeMo Switch Driver

alanchow

Recluse%20AV%20black%20logo.png

Recluse AV – Belkin WeMo Switch Driver

The Belkin WeMo Switch is a wifi power outlet that is available in many countries around the world. Recluse AV's WeMo Switch driver for Control4 fills a gap for international Control4 dealers who cannot purchase the Control4 wireless outlet.

Features

* Auto IP Address update when serial number is entered (no need for DHCP reservations)

* Ability to connect driver to outlet light or relay device drivers. This allows you to see the correct icon on the screen.

* Ability to connect driver to keypad buttons to allow quick on/off/toggle programming.

* Automatic LED feedback for attached keypad buttons

* Output feedback from the unit to all attached proxies.

* Programming tab events and actions for On/Off.

DRIVER SPECIFIC FAQ

Can you give us some examples of how we could use this driver?

In Australia we do not have access to the Control4 outlet switch. As such we cannot easily integrate floor lamps, bedside table lights, fans, electric heaters, towel rails, etc easily. This driver fills in the gap to integrate these devices into the Control4 system.

Are there any other cool things we can do with this driver?

This driver allows connection to the Control4 outlet light driver and any relay based binding. As such you can get the correct icon on your navigator and also bind it to your AV device to minimise standby power.

Will this driver cost us money annually?

There is only a once off charge for this driver licence for each project.

How do I find out more information about the driver?

Contact your Control4 dealer for more information.

This is great, but bear in mind that the Wemo doesn't have the best Wifi performance. For instance:

http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?rnId=7074

Check your router's security settings. WeMo supports WPA, WPA2, and WEP security. If you're using WPA/WPA2 mixed mode, WeMo will not work.

NOTE: If using WPA or WPA2 security, make sure you are using Personal and not Enterprise. WeMo supports WPA2 passwords of eight (8) to 63 characters comprised of letters and numbers only. WeMo will not accept a password with spaces or symbols.

So make sure your router/AP can turn mixed mode off! My TP link can't and it means that the Wemo just disconnects after a few hours.

We don't recommend utilising TP link hardware for any installation. Having said that though we have been using mixed for our testbench setup since we received it on friday (a draytek 2830) and the WeMo works fine on that without problems.

It might be just incompatibility on some mixed AP's i guess.

This is great, but bear in mind that the Wemo doesn't have the best Wifi performance. For instance:

Check your router's security settings. WeMo supports WPA, WPA2, and WEP security. If you're using WPA/WPA2 mixed mode, WeMo will not work.

NOTE: If using WPA or WPA2 security, make sure you are using Personal and not Enterprise. WeMo supports WPA2 passwords of eight (8) to 63 characters comprised of letters and numbers only. WeMo will not accept a password with spaces or symbols.

So make sure your router/AP can turn mixed mode off! My TP link can't and it means that the Wemo just disconnects after a few hours.

Yeh exactly. Precisely what I have found. Hence my comments on this thread: http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=15140

As I said what sort of wireless device is released onto the market that doesn't work with *all* current common router security settings? As I said before. This is a total nonsense for a tech company. Why do we let them get away with this crap all the time??? Wifi is what this product is supposed to be *all* about LOL! You know this is the equivalent to bringing home a new TV and finding it only views half the free to air channels.. and tuning in one TV means then all the others don't work. What total nonsense.... either the product works 100% with all the common settings on the available "signal" or it doesn't..... 1/10 Wemo...

We don't recommend utilising TP link hardware for any installation. Having said that though we have been using mixed for our testbench setup since we received it on friday (a draytek 2830) and the WeMo works fine on that without problems.

It might be just incompatibility on some mixed AP's i guess.

Alan:The set up of the first one went fine for me as well, on mixed too (the draytek 2830 default setting), but I can't add any further Wemo's. Even if the original is then switched off. Seriously, it really shouldn't t be that difficult to daisy chain some wireless switch control.

• 3 months later...

Hi!

I also live in a 240v country and haven't found an outlet  zigbee switch that works with Control4.

So in the meantime since August is there something new on the market or any long term experience with the wemo swicthes?

blub

I've been using a WeMo and the RecluseAV driver for three or four months now and its been rock solid.

I have a pump hooked up to it that circulates hot water. Have c4 turn it on for a couple of minutes when the motion sensor in the scullery detects movement (around breakfast time, lunch time and dinner time), also when the kids turn on a light in their bathroom or when the light is turned on in the guest bathroom.

Took some fluffing around to get it to link into the WiFi network but once upgraded the firmware was much easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I currently use 3 WeMo's and it is working as expected.

from my point of view the driver needs 2 enhancements:

1) Support for conditionals i.e. "if WeMo is on/off"

2) visible name of the WeMo switch in programming ( I know kinda difficult if the name gets changed, but maybe just stick the name in programming to the first name given to the WeMo) - The reason is when you use more than one WeMo on the same programming page it can cause some confusion later on when looking at the programming again.

In your first post you do mention that the WeMo can be bound to AV devices via its relay to minimize standby power. However my AV devices do not feature any relay/power outlet connection and my dealer did not get this to work - Can you give us some info how that is supposed to be programmed/bound!?

thx

• 10 months later...

you no offense but your slightly wrong 

you no offense but your slightly wrong i have been using 6 of them with no problems at all using WPA/WPA2 mixed mode on a apple express 802.11 ac router its not the mixed mode that causes the headache !!!! its the passwords if they have mixed caps spaces and symbols they wont work the honeywell wifi thermostats are the same way ..   

2) visible name of the WeMo switch in programming ( I know kinda difficult if the name gets changed, but maybe just stick the name in programming to the first name given to the WeMo) - The reason is when you use more than one WeMo on the same programming page it can cause some confusion later on when looking at the programming again.

I fully agree. I have about 8 wemo devices and it's a huge pain in the ass when programming. Especially when you go back to change something. There is no way to tell which one is which. I'm surprised Alan didn't add a name feature a long time ago.

Archived